1.090 to 1.030 holding. Am I done or stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_c

Reaction score
5 gallons apple juice, 5 lbs brown sugar.
yeast nutrient, White Labs California Ale Yeast – WLP001

Started at 1.090, moved to secondary after about 3 weeks, just to get it out of primary so I could start something else... After about a month and a half I'm getting consecutive readings of 1.030. Seems to be a lot of residual CO2 left in the mix.

2 questions...
Would degassing the cider help/have helped with the fermentation?

It tastes great now, what chance is there that all the yeast is used up, and when I add priming sugar, it won't carb up?

(Yes, I read that if not down below 1.020 I am risking bottle bombs if I try to carb and then not pasturize or throw in the fridge for good, which is another concern)

At 1.030, there is no need to add priming sugar. Starting with 1.090 and using ale yeast, my guess is that the yeast is done or close to it. If you bottled the agitation will probably be enough for the yeast to revive a bit and slowly carb. Since you like the taste now, I'd bottle, wait a week then drink a bottle every few days. If the carb starts building to a high level, put them in the fridge, pasteurize or drink em up.

Latest posts

Back