08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.
CBBaron said:
If you bottle within a few months of brewing there should be no need to repitch. My RIS I did this summer was 2 months in the fermenters and carbonated with no problem.
If your going to store it in a carboy for 6 months then you should probably rehydrate a pack or 1/2 pack of dry yeast and mix it into the bottling bucket before bottling.

Craig

ok, thanks for that. I think I will likely bottle within a month or two, and then cellar for August 8th.

I'm getting prepared for doing this and was able to find Targets at a decent price (thanks for the reference) for my 1st addition. Couldn't readily find Fuggles, so I'm going with WGVs...sounds like they are pretty close, anyone use WGVs before?

Never had 'em before, but from the description on Midwest, I say go for it. It'll be tasty.

TerapinChef said:
Here's a fun little tidbit for you guys :
8-8-08 is my birthday!

Hey, me too! :mug: Actually, I'll be turning 28 on 8-8-8 (I turned 8 on 8-8-88!)

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while... I may just have to brew up a batch of this RIS!

My 08-08-08 is still in primary, I pitched late on the first and haven't really messed with it since except to swap ice packs and keep it around 60 degF. Today seems like a great day to rack it into secondary though, where I can forget it for another month or so for some bulk conditioning before bottling. Can't wait for a taste!

I'm also a little nervous about my FG and ABV coming in on target since the OG was 10 points shy. I probably should have run another batch sparge through, or at least upped the DME addition to make up for the difference. Oh well, brew and learn.

So when is the swap for this being organized? I've been out of touch for a while and haven't kept up very well. Working from home was so much more conducive to web surfing and generally screwing around during the week...

Just had a taste from the sample jar. Pretty damn good. Wife loved it. I guess I am going to rack this to a carboy now, since I need my fermenter. Would this be a good time to rack? What conditions are ideal for conditioning this beer?

Thanks
KD

korndog said:
Would this be a good time to rack? What conditions are ideal for conditioning this beer?

We've been debating about this in the Exchange thread... the jist of it is that some of us are bottling early, so that we know our yeasties are still healthy enough to carbonate. Others are doing bulk aging in secondary, and will bottle it later. The concern here is repitching, and especially inconsistent repitching, if the yeast doesn't get mixed into the batch well enough.

A lot of us are taking the 3-week primary, straight into bottles approach. I did, and I'm happy so far. It was definitely green when I bottled, but it was fully attenuated.

chriso said:
We've been debating about this in the Exchange thread... the jist of it is that some of us are bottling early, so that we know our yeasties are still healthy enough to carbonate. Others are doing bulk aging in secondary, and will bottle it later. The concern here is repitching, and especially inconsistent repitching, if the yeast doesn't get mixed into the batch well enough.

A lot of us are taking the 3-week primary, straight into bottles approach. I did, and I'm happy so far. It was definitely green when I bottled, but it was fully attenuated.

Yeah, mine is done too. I guess i will just bottle it up now since I don't have any experience repitching. I guess I need to learn how to do it at some point though. I just realized that the exchange thread is the place to be. Thanks for the heads-up.

I kegged and carbonated this. It tastes like delicious Belgian chocolate bar. I'm tempted to throw an espresso pod or two in the keg for a while. Anybody doing this, or are we going legit on this?

I would advise letting this batch go as is and try experimenting with another one. That way you can see how it ages and also see the effects of espresso in comparison.

Brewpastor said:
I would advise letting this batch go as is and try experimenting with another one. That way you can see how it ages and also see the effects of espresso in comparison.

Ok, will do. I'm a big fan of SpeedWay Stout, so I think I will try another one with coffee. That is next time I feel like cleaning black wort off all my equipment. I guess I will try my new Beergun tonight and bury this stuff until trade day.

Thanks BP.

Is it too late to try an extract version of your 8-8-8 RIS?
Man...I took 8 years off of brewing...Should seem only right to come back with an 8-8-8?
Also, is there anyone planning to brew an 8-8-8 ON that date? Maybe a second batch cause the first was so good?

Ok. I brewed thanksgiving w/e 2007 because the end of the year was nuts for me.

I racked out of primary on day 21 into glass.

I bought my first kegs later in December 2007 and moved this RIS into one of those.

01-18-08 I moved from LA to Dallas and got the yeast moving again, I/ it had been stalled at 1.028.

Just now, still in the corny I racked to in December, I pulled a one pint gravity sample and found 1.022. I shall now taste the sample.

One pint gone in one breath.

****inbg woot Brewpastor. This is a kick ass brew.

I bought a spare vial of WLP-001 so I can repitch when I bottle, maybe in another month or so.

Poindexter said:
uuu-yup. Issa 1.022.

Mighty fine, mighty fine.

This is gonna be a monster once it is carbed. I better make another batch.

That's where mine finished too. I just tapped a glass out of the keg to check carbonation before bottling. Holy shyte; nice buzz.

Dycokac said:
Mine's still at around 1.026-1.028 I'll give it till March1 and bottle it.

Mine was stalled at 1.028 for about a month. I loaded it in to a shopping cart to take it from my apartment down to the moving truck and the yeast woke right up. Riding in the front passenger footwell, it bubbled all the way from Los Angeles to Las Cruces.

Poindexter said:
Mine was stalled at 1.028 for about a month. I loaded it in to a shopping cart to take it from my apartment down to the moving truck and the yeast woke right up. Riding in the front passenger footwell, it bubbled all the way from Los Angeles to Las Cruces.

Las Cruces? As in New Mexico? You're in YURI country!

Brewpastor said:
Las Cruces? As in New Mexico? You're in YURI country!

Well, I am in Dallas now. Love the mountain range on the east side of town in Las Cruces though. I pulled over on the 10 and took pictars. I shall post a pictar to the intrawebbzorr. Yuricountry dot jpg added to gallery. It was noonish, I made it Ranger, TX that same day.

I decided that mine wasn't going to get below 1.028, transfered to secondary, got about a dozen bubbles out to the secondary, and it gave up. I bottled it at 1.026. Hope everything goes okay for me, no bottle bombs yet....

Anyone else cook with this yet? After I bottled I had about 20 oz left in my bottling bucket (i got 23 22oz bottles and 7 12oz bottles). I made some pork shoulder with it, and last night I made a stew with the left over broth from that pork shoulder.

Both dishes where very good.

All bottled up!

bottled.jpg

I am ready to ship this to anybody. I primed with 3.5 oz of corn sugar.

888group.jpg

I shall brew a double batch for safe keeping on 08-08-08.

EDIT: The 8 on the far right labeled already are the brewer's keepers first 8 out of the bottling bucket, 1/8 for 2008 through 8/8 for 2015.

I'm bottling mine tonight. No fancy aluminum bottles or wax seals for me though.

Mine (brewed 1/1/08) is still conditioning in a corny. I brewed 1/1, racked to clearing tank on 1/21 at 1.022, and it's been sitting quietly in my basement ever since. I'll probably bottle it up sometime in April, but who knows? For now, it's happily sitting in the dark.

I'm going to try something a bit different for bottling, since I'll probably need to repitch. I'm going to use a corny as a bottling bucket, so I can add yeast and dme, rack the beer onto the yeast, purge, shake the poop out of it without oxygen, and bottle out of a cobra tap and racking cane.

Anybody forsee any problems with Notty for bottle conditioning? I don't, but would like a gut-check.

jds said:
Mine (brewed 1/1/08) is still conditioning in a corny. I brewed 1/1, racked to clearing tank on 1/21 at 1.022, and it's been sitting quietly in my basement ever since. I'll probably bottle it up sometime in April, but who knows? For now, it's happily sitting in the dark.

I'm going to try something a bit different for bottling, since I'll probably need to repitch. I'm going to use a corny as a bottling bucket, so I can add yeast and dme, rack the beer onto the yeast, purge, shake the poop out of it without oxygen, and bottle out of a cobra tap and racking cane.

Anybody forsee any problems with Notty for bottle conditioning? I don't, but would like a gut-check.
Why don't you just force carb and bottle?

BierMuncher said:
Why don't you just force carb and bottle?

Still trying to get consistent enough results with my BMBF. I'm still a kegging newb, and I'm being super-conservative with this beer. Maybe by April/May, I'll feel differently, and force carb. Plenty of time to decide.

That said, I've found that sticking a hypodermic needle through the stopper of my BMBF allows good control of the escaping gas, so I can fill at 15 PSI without foaming.

jds said:
Still trying to get consistent enough results with my BMBF. I'm still a kegging newb, and I'm being super-conservative with this beer. Maybe by April/May, I'll feel differently, and force carb. Plenty of time to decide.

That said, I've found that sticking a hypodermic needle through the stopper of my BMBF allows good control of the escaping gas, so I can fill at 15 PSI without foaming.

BMBF? I am not breaking the code on this one. Bad Methane Beer Farts?

Back