07.07.07 Recipe discussion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still leaning on the 7 grains too. I like the Simcoe/Amarillo hop idea. I have yet to use Simcoe, and I have a stash of several ounces of Amarillo to use up.

Brewsmith said:
I was just brain storming and came up with

7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

At 75% for 5 gallons that's 1.056 and an SRM of 7

Man this thread is growing fast. Yea, I'm liking that grain bill too.

I'm gonna get lunch. Then I'll spend my lunch break reading the next 10 pages of ideas for this recipe :D...

I'm weighing in for the simcoe / amarillo hops, with the suggestion of a small amount of chinook for bittering. I've yet to try simcoe but from what I've read they sound good to me.

Dude said:
I think Simcoe is pretty easy to find...if oyur HBS doesn't have it, they should, IMHO. They could prolly order it for you too.

One more thing, with these simple 7 ingredients, we could still make it a 7 SRM pretty easily too. :) And 7 hop additions. :)

Cool. I'm down for the Simcoe/Amarillo combo, and LHBS has special ordered stuff for me before, and their selection is getting better and better as they become more established.

Chicken will only work if it has been free ranged for 7 months.

Other than that, the grain bill and the 7 additions of any 2 or 3 diff hops sounds great.

We definitely have to have this agreed upon before we hit post 777 in this thread. Rough calculations based on post frequency puts that at Sunday 19:47.12 GMT.

Dude said:
I think Simcoe is pretty easy to find...if oyur HBS doesn't have it, they should, IMHO. They could prolly order it for you too.

One more thing, with these simple 7 ingredients, we could still make it a 7 SRM pretty easily too. :) And 7 hop additions. :)
FWIW, checking the Freshops website, all of the hops we are talking about are still available.

Cheesefood said:
Rhoob, me you and Rd might be able to split an order of hops so we all don't have to order a pound.
Sounds good to me. I like the Simcoe/Amarillo combo and I have them on hand already, but can always use more!

Hey Anna Nicole Smith just kicked the bucket! She was probably exhausted from trying to keep up with this thread!

Rhoobarb said:
Sounds good to me. I like the Simcoe/Amarillo combo and I have them on hand already, but can always use more!

Hey Anna Nicole Smith just kicked the bucket! She was probably exhausted from trying to keep up with this thread!

Should we throw in some TrimSpa to help keep off the weight?

OK, so I've been away for the last two hours... here are my thoughts on the discussions since then:

I think quite a few folks have done a Simcoe/Amarillo, or Centennial/Cascade, or other known common good hop combo APAs or IPAs... So what makes this beer a special 07.07.07 brew unless we go a little crazy?

I'm standing firm in belief (vote) that we should do 7 grains and 7 hops. That being said, I will brew what the consensus says we brew on 07.07.07.

I like the grain bill. I suspect I'll hop it differently, as I have a large supply on hand: Amarillo, Cascades, Columbus, Chinook, Perle, Nuggett, Fuggles, Kent Goldings, East Kent Goldings. I think I can make it to seven ;) or is that eight? Nine? Does pellet Columbus and whole leaf count as one or two :p ? The AA are different, as are the sources.

Maybe seven kinds of sausage in the smoker?

This will be my product launch ale, the timing is about right for go-live.

Brewsmith said:

7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

It should be a nice base for a apa. A little different, but thats a good thing here.

Brewsmith said:
7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

That one looks good to me. :D

I'm not biased...:rolleyes:

Brewsmith said:

7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

I'll "third" (instead of second) this as the grain bill. I didn't participate last year, but I am looking forward to this year. (We just need to figure the thing out before June so I can order anything I can't get locally.):p

7 lbs 2-row
1 lb. Wheat Malt
0.5 lb. Munich
0.5 lb. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
0.25 lb. Biscuit Malt

Looks good to me. I think this one can turn out to be a really good summer beer. Is the idea for 7 hops strains still on the drawing board. (This thread has grown like gang busters for sure)

I participated in last years 06.06.06 brew, and unfortunately, mine turned out like rocket fuel. It ended up hot to the taste from the alcohol content, as my honey fermented out completely, which really masked so much of the beers character. it really bummed me out, as I was hoping for a better balance from the recipe. Scotch drinkers love it though.:cross:

I'm really diggin' this.

I didn't get to participate last year so I'm looking forward to it.

I like the idea of this recent grain bill. I'll do either 7 hops or 7 additions. From my limited experience, I would think that 7 different hops could become muddled, but I'm still kinda new at this. 7 additions, in my opinion, would have a more distinct flavor.

Engelramm said:
I'm really diggin' this.

I didn't get to participate last year so I'm looking forward to it.

I like the idea of this recent grain bill. I'll do either 7 hops or 7 additions. From my limited experience, I would think that 7 different hops could become muddled, but I'm still kinda new at this. 7 additions, in my opinion, would have a more distinct flavor.

I could go either way on the hops, 7 varieties or 7 additions (of 2 or 3 varities) - Since this is a "special" beer, I wouldn't mind spending the extra couple of bucks on the "extra" hops.

Now....will be be allowed to follow our normal brewing process for this recipe - ? I usually only do single infusion mashes b/c of the 5 gal size of my mash tun.

Well hell. I was going to say this thing will be too hoppy for my taste but what the heck!
Man. All those hops are going to be expensive as I will have to buy 2 oz. of each.
So are we getting close to the final locked recipe?

Yooper Chick said:
Instead of 7 different hops, we could do 7 hops additions, kind of like Walker's IPA. It would still be special, but not cost as much attempting to buy 7 different types of hops.
I vote for this idea.

RichBrewer said:
So are we getting close to the final locked recipe?

I think the grain bill is pretty close, and we're still debating whether to go with 7 hop varieties or 7 additions. I'll edit this post with a summary as soon as I dig everything up and make sense of it all.

edit: After skimming the entire thread (yes, all 19 pages), the consensus is to have a 7-grain brew.
Brewsmith submitted one on page 16 for five gallons finished product, and I had one on page 9 with six gallons of finished product. My concern was having extra for "dry-hop consumption" with the extra gallon. Otherwise both grain bills were very similar in concept:

Brewsmith's 1.056, SRM 7.0
7.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb wheat malt
0.5 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Honey malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb Munich
.25 lb Biscuit

texasgeorge's 1.055, SRM 7.0
8.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb wheat malt
1.0 lb Vienna
1.0 lb Honey Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Victory

There also seems to be an even split between 7 hop varieties versus 7 hop additions. Can we get a poll of 7 varieties or 7 additions?

If anyone feels I left anything out, please say so.

I'm in the 7 additions camp. We should probably just go with a bittering hop and then maybe max two others for flavor and aroma.

The only question I have about the grain is what will the 10 degree crystal lend this beer? I wouldn't think it will be very much in either color or flavor.

Just a little sweetness and some body, but not much. Think of it kinda like carapils but just a touch darker.

On a less serious note, how about this label? It's a cheap MS Paint version, so feel free to edit or expound as necessary.

3656-777ale.JPG

The seven hops is up in the air, it might need to just be seven hop additions.

The grain hasn't really been finalized yet either, so I guess the whole thing is up in the air.

The label is a great start, though.

Brewsmith said:
The seven hops is up in the air, it might need to just be seven hop additions.

The grain hasn't really been finalized yet either, so I guess the whole thing is up in the air.

The label is a great start, though.

I was jus' fillin' space there, is all. :eek: We'll make it look more pretty as we get closer.

texasgeorge said:
I think the grain bill is pretty close, and we're still debating whether to go with 7 hop varieties or 7 additions. I'll edit this post with a summary as soon as I dig everything up and make sense of it all.

edit: After skimming the entire thread (yes, all 19 pages), the consensus is to have a 7-grain brew.
Brewsmith submitted one on page 16 for five gallons finished product, and I had one on page 9 with six gallons of finished product. My concern was having extra for "dry-hop consumption" with the extra gallon. Otherwise both grain bills were very similar in concept:

Brewsmith's 1.056, SRM 7.0
7.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb wheat malt
0.5 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Honey malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb Munich
.25 lb Biscuit

texasgeorge's 1.055, SRM 7.0
8.0 lb 2-row
1.0 lb wheat malt
1.0 lb Vienna
1.0 lb Honey Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Victory

There also seems to be an even split between 7 hop varieties versus 7 hop additions. Can we get a poll of 7 varieties or 7 additions?

If anyone feels I left anything out, please say so.

I will humbly suggest having both Victory and Biscuit in the same recipe as they go very well together and the result will be a nice liquid version of seven grain bread :D

I am now out of breath after reading that thread for the first time. FWIW, I think the 7 additions is a good idea, as is the 7 grains. Maybe we should make a few polls in another thread, maybe a few recipes to choose from, just post the ones from this thread. Although we don't want just anyone voting, only people who have a true intent on brewing it, so that might be a challenge.

Back