07.07.07 Recipe discussion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm leaning towards a honey pale ale. Light and summery. OG ~ 1050 - 1055, not too big. Maybe use a pound of honey to dry it out, along with a couple ounces honey malt. Maybe some Vienna for character. 40 IBUs or so.

What to hop it with, though?... :confused:

Hell, I think I'm going to get a head start on this... :D

the_bird said:
I'm leaning towards a honey pale ale. Light and summery. OG ~ 1050 - 1055, not too big. Maybe use a pound of honey to dry it out, along with a couple ounces honey malt. Maybe some Vienna for character. 40 IBUs or so.

What to hop it with, though?... :confused:

Hell, I think I'm going to get a head start on this... :D
Amarillo is the popular thing. 100% would make for a tasty hot summer mow job!
But it must be well balanced with some good malt flavor...

Dude said:
Honey Pale Ale!

or a roasted honey pale ale.

toast maybe a pound or so of the 2 row

You guys are talking Amarillo. Well Ive done a honey amarillo once....that was pretty damn good

I'd suggest a Belgian Wit....I'm thinking of doing one this summer, with a little sour mash added to give it some tartness.

Pumbaa said:
WAIT A MINUTE! WAIT 1 F'ING MINUTE . . .
which homebrew store around here has a hottie?

Mine does. It is run by women. Three of them, never seen a male behind the counter.

EDIT : Is the 070707 beer one that we all make using the same recipe?

1070 OG
70 IBUs
7 hop additions (60, 15, 10, 5, ,2, 0, dry)
7 kinds of hops (Chinook, Centenial, Cascade, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace, Simcoe, Magnum)
7 grains (Pale malt, Munich, Crystal 10, Crystal 40, TDB, TDB, TDB)

the_bird said:
1070 OG
70 IBUs
7 kinds of hops (Chinook, Centenial, Cascade, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace, Simcoe, Magnum)

That looks kinda complicated, however I'm not scared.

I vote for fuggles as the kettle hop, or something noble....EKG, then move onto the freaky stuff,?

the_bird said:
1070 OG
70 IBUs

I'm liking this....

Honey, honey malt (you have to use the 2 together, IMHO), and some wheat for head retention?

glibbidy said:
That looks kinda complicated, however I'm not scared.

I vote for fuggles as the kettle hop, or something noble....EKG?

In an APA?

Dude said:
I'm liking this....
In an APA?
fuggles is the best neutral hop i can think of. Get the 30 IBU's oit of the fuggles then, work towards the nose, aroma, mouthful, and what not. I casn smell the bouquet right now.:mug:

I'm thinking we should replace the Sorachi with Columbus....might be more readily available for everyone. Also, should we stick to American hops? Magnum isn't american is it?

At 70% efficiency, 10# of pale malt, .7# of everything else except the honey malt, 2oz of honey malt, and subbing in Crystal 20 for Crystal 40, gets me to 1071 and 7.5 SRM. That's just a start, but we could make this happen. Maybe Vienna instead of Munich.

Dude said:
I'm thinking we should replace the Sorachi with Columbus....might be more readily available for everyone. Also, should we stick to American hops? Magnum isn't american is it?

Iv'e never gotten freaky with sorachi. Columbus on the other hand, is easy to find.....but then again i guesss there is mail order.

Dude said:

I forgot about Columbus, and I have never used Magnum; that was kind of out of mya ss (I think NB may have described it as "Citrusy")

It's going to be basically 4th of July weekend - all American ingredients, I say.

sause said:
7lb 2-row
.5lb Cara-Pils
.5lb Crystal 30
.5lb munich 10
.5lb honey malt
.5lb wheat malt
1lb honey

Gives you 7 fermentables, at 7.2 srm.
I like this. 7,2 is close enough, but can you conver it to percentages? 7% of this and....

Chairman Cheyco said:
Hmm, I usually don't like honey in beer, but it's usually in a brown ale - and that's not my favorite style so... this sounds good!

2oz of honey malt and Sorachi dry-hop - Breakfast beer!

Heh, why not add some oatmeal, make it a real braekfast beer? :D

I love Willamettes; Mild and American.

I'd also like to see Northern Brewers in there.

My american 7-hop blend: Cluster (60m), Amarillo (30m), Simcoe (30m), N Brewer (20m), Willamette (20m), Centennial (10m), Cascade (10m). Flame out or Dryhop as you prefer.

I went for combos that work well together as same-time hop additions. I'll let someone else adjust the quantities for IBU efficiency. Thoughts?

Back