07.07.07 Recipe discussion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides, what, are you afraid to walk the edge? Scared of danger? Not willing to push the boundaries of logic and reason? Hate taking chances?

Yeah, me too.

Alright...I did some playing....I didn't do any dry hop additions....I think we should blend a half ounce of each of the 7 hops and dry hop with a blend....

10-A American Pale Ale

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 194.58 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 7.7 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.75% (4.5% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 70.06 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:

GRAINS
7.0 lbs Optic Pale Ale Malt
0.50 lbs American Victory
0.50 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
2.0 lbs Honey
0.25 lbs Honey Malt
0.5 lbs 2-Row Carapils® Malt
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes

HOPS
0.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during mash
0.5 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
0.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
0.0 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

Schedule:

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.19

So, wait a sec - is the idea that you BREW on 7/7/07, or that you drink it on that day? I may have missed something pretty fundamental to this whole equation.

EDIT: and YES, I know I'm a friggin' tool... :rolleyes:

the_bird said:
From NB:

Not saying that we need to include it, but it is domestic.

I know the Magnums that AHS sells are the German variety. That might be where Dude got his info.

They're also very high alpha and are really only served for bittering, so they might be too much for an APA. I like 'em though too :D

the_bird said:
So, wait a sec - is the idea that you BREW on 7/7/07, or that you drink it on that day? I may have missed something pretty fundamental to this whole equation.

EDIT: and YES, I know I'm a friggin' tool... :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter....I just want to have one ready for the brew conference in June--we can display a logo and tell everyone it was a "club" effort.

I don't know if their will be enough maltiness in that recipe dude. The victory will give it the unfermentables but it adds more of a biscuity taste IIRC. Honey adds a little sweetness but not alot, I used 5/8 of a pound in my honey wiess and it was still dry. With that much honey I think munich would be a better choice. But you make the better recipes so make away.

I tinkered in Promash just a little and came up with a seven-malt, seven-US-hop APA within the style guidelines. Just for discussion and consideration; nothing more.

Batch size - 6.0 gal (I think there's going to be a fair amount lost to dry-hopping the 7-hop blend as Dude suggested, so I overshot a little)
Efficiency: 75%
SG: 1.055 (range 1.045 - 1.060)
IBU: 42.2 (range 30 - 54)
SRM: 7.0 :fro: (range 5 - 14)

Thought: Mash a little lower... ~150F'ish, for a dryer summer beer

8.0 lbs American 2-row Pale Malt
1.0 lbs Torrified Wheat
1.0 lbs Vienna Malt
1.0 lbs Honey Malt
0.5 lbs CaraPils
0.5 lbs Crystal 10L
0.5 lbs Victory Malt

0.50 oz Centennial 10.50% (whole), FWH
0.50 oz Willamette 5.00% (pellet), 60 min
0.25 oz Amarillo 10.00% (pellet), 30 min
0.25 oz Simcoe 12.00% (pellet), 30 min
0.25 oz Cascade 6.00% (pellet), 10 min
0.25 oz Northern Brewer 9.00% (pellet), 10 min
0.25 oz Crystal 4.00% (pellet), 10 min
0.25 oz Cascade, N Brewer, Crystal at flameout
0.50 oz each variety for dryhops in secondary; This is 1.00 oz total for all hop varieties... easy to buy!

Yeast: Pick one.. though WLP001 makes sense. Unless there's a suitable platinum strain available in the summer, then maybe that one.

The recipe is shaping up pretty good, but I think replacing the victory with munich would be better. That would provide a better balance for all the hops, IMO.

Yep I like the all 7s.

7lbs of base malt. (Or extract)
0.7 lbs of different specialty malts up to the amount for a 7.77 ABV
Dare I say, even 0.7lbs of sugar (or honey) to help with the dryness.
Maybe 2 or three different hops done in 7 additions over the 70 minute boil after a 70 minute mash.

7 day primary
7 day secondary
7 day tertiary

A lawnmower ale or APA would be good.

All the 7's

It need work but it's an Idea.

Recipe: 7/7/7
Style: American Pale Ale

Batch Size: 5g US L
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes
------------
Amount Item
7lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM)
0.7lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.7lb Lyle's Golden Syrup (0.0 SRM)
0.7lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.7lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.7lb Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.7lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.7lb Honey (1.0 SRM)
0.7lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)

0.7oz Centennial [8.40%] (60 min) 21.3 IBU
0.7oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) 18.6 IBU
0.7oz Cascade [6.00%] (10 min) 7.4 IBU

Works for me.:D

I was just having fun with the Sevens....just brain storming, chucking stuff in the pot as they say.
I had difficulty getting that much stuff in and not getting too many tastes.

Now if you wanted to do it in Kilo's it'd be a lot easier!!!!

I kind of liked the idea of making a smaller beer--something poundable for the hot summer.

what about 7 lbs of grain total, 7 types of grain and 7hop additions

5.5 lbs. 2 row
.25 crystal 10
.25 lbs crystal 40
.25 lbs vienna
.25 lbs torrified wheat
.25 lbs victory
.25 lbs. toasted

basically it would be a seven grain bitter or pale ale with a modest original gravity

7 hop additions at 60, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, 0

7 hop varieties might be out of hand but it could be done...

Looks like a good summer beer--no honey, no adjuncts, just lots of sevens.

I like the idea of having 7 hop additions. I would propose something like the following:

.5 chinook 60 min
.5 N. Brewer 30 min
.5 Simcoe 20 min
.5 centennial 15 min
.5 columbus 10 min
.5 cascade 5 min
.5 amarillo 1 min

I don't have the software to figure out the IBU's and all that so this is just my 2 cents. something like this that would hit 70 IBU's would be good. in my opinion.

Dude said:
Doesn't matter....I just want to have one ready for the brew conference in June--we can display a logo and tell everyone it was a "club" effort.

This should be HBT's first AHA entry.

Maybe, before spending too much more time hashing out recipe specifics, we ought to do a poll about what it IS that we want to be brewing - a big IPA, a small summer ale, I head a suggestion about a scottish ale, a honey ale. I'd suggest that before going any further, people who plan to participate simply name the beer style they want to pursue, then let's put that up in a poll.

the_bird said:
Maybe, before spending too much more time hashing out recipe specifics, we ought to do a poll about what it IS that we want to be brewing - a big IPA, a small summer ale, I head a suggestion about a scottish ale, a honey ale. I'd suggest that before going any further, people who plan to participate simply name the beer style they want to pursue, then let's put that up in a poll.

Ya, probably a good idea. Don't forget to include the bud light clone that was suggested :D

orfy said:
7 different hops is going to get expensive. I buy 3oz at a time that's going to cost me over $40 just to stock the hops.

You have a freezer, though, they don't go bad.

Another thought; if we go the honey / honey malt route, does it make sense for the hop varieties selected to be more floral in character, rather than citrusy?

How about a summery rye cream ale (off the top of my head..)

1.050 OG, 21 IBU

Pilsner malt 70%
Flaked rice 7%
Flaked corn 7%
Cara-Pils 7%
Rye malt 9%

Northern Brewer for bittering & FWH
Cascade/Czech Saaz for flavour/aroma
US-56 or German Ale yeast.

that's a good point about the 7 different hops, especially since there is some overlap in the varous qualities that they all add, we could probably go with 3 or 4 hop varieties and acheive what ever flavors/ aromas/ bitterness we want.

as to the general discussion of the overall style of the beer we want, I vote for a heavily hopped honey APA. personally, I don't mind the victory malt becuase I tend to like the dry, biscuitty ales more.

If we enter it in the competition who's brew will it be ? Does that mean we have to have our own little competiton before hand to select the best?? If that is the case I suggest we do the simple APA and that would have to done pretty soon.. just my .02.

orfy said:
I'm having a month off brewing.:eek:

So if this looks good and gets the thumbs up I'll make it my return brew.

Yeah, I don't think I want to brew again until it starts to warm up. I have three frozen kegs of beer as-is.

If we can get the recipe finalized (and a extract w/ specialty grains or PM version made) I'll brew it this weekend. That way we can get an early start on sampling and tweaking.

the_bird said:
You have a freezer, though, they don't go bad.

Another thought; if we go the honey / honey malt route, does it make sense for the hop varieties selected to be more floral in character, rather than citrusy?

I just brewed a honey blonde a couple weeks ago, and I used Saaz and Crystal with it. I think that it's a better fit, yes.

You could maybe not go with seven different hops. Since it's 07.07.07, maybe you could, if going the lighter summer ale route, do three different hop additions that give 7 IBUs apiece. Or, if going for an IPA, use three different hops, and do seven hop additions of 7 IBUs apiece.

Also, I was trying to think if there are any potential ingredients that have any kind of good luck associations, and I thought, and this is a stretch, but four leaf clovers are lucky, and there's clover honey, so, honey is kinda lucky. I know, kinda weak, but still. Better than a rabbit's foot.

Entering late here but why not hop additions in 0.70 of an ounce. IIPA will take 7 additions easily in this amount. 1.070 G is on the low outskirts of the style but it'll work.

The more I think about this...the more I think we should just do a light Honey Ale....this is getting really complicated.

I'm up for a poll, but it seems to me the majority has agreed with a light summery pale ale.

I like the idea of a light summery pale ale, but it just seems that a brew like this wants to be... special somehow. Last year's brew may have been too much, but that made it interesting. What'll make this APA any different from the other great APA recipes? 7 hop varities? What's the gimmick, for lack of a better term?

Actually, I think an interesting variation might be to add cherries. I know, I'm usually against fruit beers, but it fits with the Jackpot theme.

A light, summery honey pale sounds good as well. I'd like to make something that I can share with my friends who aren't into bold tasting beers.

Dude said:
The more I think about this...the more I think we should just do a light Honey Ale....this is getting really complicated.

I'm up for a poll, but it seems to me the majority has agreed with a light summery pale ale.

Agreed, last year's was way overcomplicated, let's keep this one simple.

I vote on honey pale ale.

I vote honey pale ale as well. Perhaps alternating every other year with something huge and outrageous with something small and simple would be a good idea. Save the madness for next year, crazy eights!

I like the idea of a summery honey pale ale- sounds great!

Instead of 7 different hops, we could do 7 hops additions, kind of like Walker's IPA. It would still be special, but not cost as much attempting to buy 7 different types of hops.

Back