06.06.06 We should start planning now....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work has kicked my butt this week so I haven't had much time to view, not to mention post recently. But I have to say that the final recipe looks great. I'll definately give this one a try. Will that much grain fit in a 5 gal. cooler? I may have to scale down a little.

Rhoobarb said:
It can be done; I've done it before! But you'll have to do it as a (take a deep breath here) partial mash. My Hop Rod Rye clone was an extract with grains.

It's not that bad.;) I just threw the flaked rye into my steeping bag along with my cracked specialty grains and placed it into ~2 gals of water and about a cup of DME tossed in. I brought the water temperature up to ~100oF for ~10 mins. Then I raised it to ~120-125oF for ~30-45 to help break the proteins up. After that, I brought the grains up to ~150 for ~30 mins., the removed the grain bag and boiled as usual.

Somebody else may have a better method. Yes, it adds time to your brew day. But that gives you extra time to relax, not worry and have more homebrews!:drunk: :cross:

I plan to brew our 666 beer (whatever we end up calling it) the first weekend in March. As for converting this entire recipe, I'll try and work on it, but I'm betting some minds greater than mine will come through!

I'll split the cost and brew w/you if you're AG.

Can one of you ProMash'ers out there export the final recipe in .xml format so I can import it into BeerSmith?
I just might use this as an excuse to do my first AG!

mayday1019 said:
could someone please let me know how to paste a possible label idea I have to this thread?

Is it an image? If it is something like a .gif, .jpg, etc. just sign up on a free hosting site like photobucket and attach the image by clicking on this picture up above when editing a post
insertimage.gif

Insert the URL of the pic when the window pops up, and it will create a code that will display the image in your post.

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum as well as homebrewing in general. I have been throwing some ideas for labels around about this brew. This is what I have come up with so far. It's raw I know, but its just the first draft. I think it has the attitude you guys might be looking for.

CopyofDevilsRed.jpg

mayday1019 said:
Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum as well as homebrewing in general. I have been throwing some ideas for labels around about this brew. This is what I have come up with so far. It's raw I know, but its just the first draft. I think it has the attitude you guys might be looking for.

Nice label!

Moderator note: I edited the link--it needs the

Cheesefood said:
I'll split the cost and brew w/you if you're AG.
Now that sounds like a plan!:D I don't think my brewpot is large enough for a 10 gal. batch. Maybe 7 or 8! Mash tun is no problem, in fact, I'll probably have a new one by then.

Seeing as this is a 'group' brew, I'd suggest inviting anyone in the Chicago area to join us and I'd be willing to host. Maybe we can double up on brewpots, burners, carboys, etc., if we get enough people and want to do a huge batch!:cross:

March 4th is the soonest I can do it, so I vote for that as a target date. [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Plainfield,+IL+60544"]I'm in Plainfield[/ame]. PM me for more details!:)

Mash temp? 154ish?

Also, recipe says around 50 IBUs, make sure you adjust your hops AA% in Promash to get close to that. I had to add .25 of Chinook to get up there.

Im using Clover honey in mine. Clover honey isnt really as sweet as Wildflower, which can be very sweet, and Starthistle can be so sweet its almost candy-like. Clover, to me anyway, has a nice mild sweetness, with a slight citrus flavor.

Orange Blossom or Clover would be a good choice, again...in my opinion, as they are both milder, and I dont want it overpowing any other flavor. Im adding mine the last 30 minutes of my boil.

I normally use plan old white honey. Besides the fact it's cheeper and easier to get I'm really only looking for the sugars and not more flavors

Dude said:
I've not used honey before, does it matter what kind?

My options are Starthistle, Orange Blossom, Clover, or Wildflower.

What's the consensus?
I have used (and plan to use) Orange Blossom. It's pretty easy to get and the cost isn't really any higher than regular clover honey. Sue Bee offers it and it's usually right next to their clover honey at the grocery store. I usually wait for it to go on sale and stock up!

154F sounds good to me. I'm thinking I'll be brewing this next next weekend (18th maybe?). I thinking of going with Clover honey (I'm pretty sure I've seen it around here) or Orange Blossom (which I know I can find). Good luck to all you in the first wave :)

LupusUmbrus said:
154F sounds good to me. I'm thinking I'll be brewing this next next weekend (18th maybe?). I thinking of going with Clover honey (I'm pretty sure I've seen it around here) or Orange Blossom (which I know I can find). Good luck to all you in the first wave :)

154-155 seems like a good target for the mash temp.

My grains and honey get here on Friday, and Im picking up my yeast tomorrow and making my starter. It should be a good one for sure!

Walker said:
then count me in! If necessary, I can steep in multiple pots and combine it all together in the main pot before boiling and adding the DME.

I think I could actually swing the full 9 lbs of special grain (3 pots w/ 1 gallon of water and 3 lbs of grain each).

I would be interested in aquiring a bottle of the AG version for comparison to the extract one... maybe I can work something out with BeeGee or Kai if they end up brewing this one.

-walker

Tough recipe to convert, but here is my attempt. PLEASE those who have experience with this, chime in. I want to give the extract brewers a good recipe. You guys might want to add some dextrine, but with the flaked oats I think that will help the body.
IMHO, a partial mash would be best, but for steeping I think it will be sufficient to use portions of the grains to extract the flavors you want.
For your case Walker, if 3 lbs is your limit you'd now have 6 lb.s of grain to steep, I guess in two different pots. Rhoobarb's method seems right on:

Rhoobarb said:
It's not that bad.;) I just threw the flaked rye into my steeping bag along with my cracked specialty grains and placed it into ~2 gals of water and about a cup of DME tossed in. I brought the water temperature up to ~100oF for ~10 mins. Then I raised it to ~120-125oF for ~30-45 to help break the proteins up. After that, I brought the grains up to ~150 for ~30 mins., the removed the grain bag and boiled as usual!

I have very little experience with hops when it comes to partial boils-so hopefully anyone doing that knows what the dealio is.

Anyway, here you go:

06.06.06 -- Extract version

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Extract (Lbs): 11.50
Anticipated OG: 1.077 Plato: 18.56
Anticipated SRM: 14.7
Anticipated IBU: 60.0
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
43.5 5.00 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
13.0 1.50 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
8.7 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8 (steep)
8.7 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2 (steep)
8.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120 (steep)
Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 12.00 43.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 7.00 14.1 30 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 4.70 2.8 5 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 4.70 0.0 Dry Hop
Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Notes
-----
1 week secondary on oak chips

This is a great idea. A rye based beer would be awesome. Being that June is a warm month, you don't want to go to dark. The hop rate should be somewhat high though.

Well the blizzard is finally over. I planned on brewing our brew this weekend, but wasnt able to get my yeast. So, hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow after work, and make a starter, and brew Wednesday night. Im going to Vegas for awhile, so when I get back I will be racking to the secondary.

Has anyone brewed this one yet? How's it proceeding?

Tony said:
Well the blizzard is finally over. I planned on brewing our brew this weekend, but wasnt able to get my yeast. So, hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow after work, and make a starter, and brew Wednesday night. Im going to Vegas for awhile, so when I get back I will be racking to the secondary.

Has anyone brewed this one yet? How's it proceeding?

I was supposed to brew it this weekend but my HBA order didn't come in. Now the planned brew day is Thursday or Friday of this week.

Tony said:
Cool, that'll taste awesome I bet!

If I ever get my ingredients for this batch (HBA bastages), I'm going to brew it and save the yeast cake for a similar batch--BUT I'm going to do everything exactly the same but replace the honey with brown sugar, just for kicks. :D

My brew day for this has been kicked back, as I'm hoping to pitch it onto a yeast cake for maximum effect. Originally planned to start the "starter" batch last weekend and never got around to it. Heck, never even got a recipe together.

So, along those lines, any suggestions on a lighter weight beer (around OG of 1.05) to brew with this yeast?

My brew day for this one will be postponed until I return from Vegas. Im flying out Saturday, and coming back the following weekend. I dint want to make my two day starter, brew and pitch, only to have it starting while I was gone and have something go wrong. So, I'll be patient and wait...

Dude said:
..but replace the honey with brown sugar, just for kicks. :D
Traitor!;) I'm sticking with Orange Blossom honey, but some of us should trade brews and see what, if any, difference it makes! :cool:

666 - has to be a beast of a beer for sure. Maybe it needs a little wormwood in it? A little smoked grain is a good idea. It should be either deep gold or red in color. I will have to do some deep meditating on this, read a little theology, muse on the beer with-in

Brewpastor said:
666 - has to be a beast of a beer for sure. Maybe it needs a little wormwood in it? A little smoked grain is a good idea. It should be either deep gold or red in color. I will have to do some deep meditating on this, read a little theology, muse on the beer with-in

Wormwood.....now that's a helluva idea. How available is the stuff, how would one use it, and does it impart any flavor? I've never had absinthe.

I'm getting set to brew this next.

Who else has an imminent brew day for this sucker? I'd love to get a bunch of these brewed so everyone can brainstorm again and see what needs to be changed up.

Sam75 said:
Wormwood.....now that's a helluva idea. How available is the stuff, how would one use it, and does it impart any flavor? I've never had absinthe.

It is terribly bitter. Not very healthy either, I'd assume. (There is a reason for straining the absinthe through a small, sugar-filled sieve or spoon before drinking it. I'd imagine it's the bitterness. The reason for diluting it with water might just be the 70%-80% alcohol concentration. The reason it's forbidden in many countries is likely to be the wormwood.)

This beer sounds devilishly ill! In a good way that is. where can I get all these ingredients? My HBS sure as hell doesn't have them. Is there a one stop online shop? I've been surfing the net and can't find an online store that has all the ingredients for this recipe. Something is always unavailale, whether its whole hops the German smoked malt,or the American Rye. I can't find a place that has it all and I need to get this going as soon as possible if i'm going to keep pace with everyong else. Also is this a single step infusion mash? how long is the sparge? Or are we just going with our gut and personal preferences? Also as far as names go... HBT's REDRUM has a ring to it don't you think? I know the polls are closed now so my vote is for imperial hellfire. I too think we should leave the "red" out of the name. Also, Dude.....you're a funk'n genious for starting this thread!!!!!

Latest posts

Back