06.06.06 We should start planning now....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
Yeah, it was suggested to drop it completely if we were using flaked rye. I mentioned that we should split malted and flaked rye 50/50 cause you or someone mentioned it in another thread. Rhoobarb hasn't been back on the thread since so maybe he agrees to split it.....I'm just going with the flow....

Okay, I will chime in here on the "rye" issue. Using 2 pounds of rye malt, with 1 pound of flaked rye is an excellent way to compliment both ingredients. Rye malt with help provide a nice dryness, and a good rye flavor. It adds a spicy flavor and sharpness you cannot get with just using flaked. The flaked rye, used in complimenting amounts, will provide the a complete rye flavor, and both together, used with a smoked malt...is just a fantastic combination. These three are made for each other.

And this comes from a rye junkie, so I should know ;)

Tony said:
Okay, I will chime in here on the "rye" issue. Using 2 pounds of rye malt, with 1 pound of flaked rye is an excellent way to compliment both ingredients. Rye malt with help provide a nice dryness, and a good rye flavor. It adds a spicy flavor and sharpness you cannot get with just using flaked. The flaked rye, used in complimenting amounts, will provide the a complete rye flavor, and both together, used with a smoked malt...is just a fantastic combination. These three are made for each other.

And this comes from a rye junkie, so I should know ;)

Changed. Here's the latest:

A ProMash Recipe Report
-------------------------------
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.076 Plato: 18.35
Anticipated SRM: 13.6
Anticipated IBU: 54.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.0 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
13.3 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
13.3 2.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
10.0 1.50 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
6.7 1.00 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
6.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9
3.3 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
3.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
3.3 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 35.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.00 16.6 30 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 3.0 5 min.
2.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Notes
-----
secondary on oak chips

just playing around tonight....

HBT_legion_00.jpg

I'd swap the "Imperial" and "Red Legion". Red Legion Imperial The critter needs red eyes.

Okay, to me...the recipe looks pretty darn good! I think we have ingredients that will compliment each other very well. I vote to finalize!

LOL, plus, I ended up making two other recipes out of this one as well. So I will be doing the one we pick, as well as the others.

Tony said:
Okay, to me...the recipe looks pretty darn good! I think we have ingredients that will compliment each other very well. I vote to finalize!

LOL, plus, I ended up making two other recipes out of this one as well. So I will be doing the one we pick, as well as the others.

I vote to finalize as well.

I'd like to see those recipes Tony....:D

david_42 said:
I'd swap the "Imperial" and "Red Legion".

Yeah.. I knew it was rolling off the tounge very well, but I was stumped for a way to fix it. Red Legion Imperial sounds much better. I want to work "HBT" and "666" into it someplace, too.

I'm not contributing to the recipe (poor little extract guy here) so I thought I'd try to chip in where I could.

I'm still interested in hearing/voting for a definite name. This is just an option (as soon as I transpose the text lines.)

-walker

Walker said:
Yeah.. I knew it was rolling off the tounge very well, but I was stumped for a way to fix it. Red Legion Imperial sounds much better. I want to work "HBT" and "666" into it someplace, too.

I'm not contributing to the recipe (poor little extract guy here) so I thought I'd try to chip in where I could.

I'm still interested in hearing/voting for a definite name. This is just an option (as soon as I transpose the text lines.)

-walker

Logo looks good....

Once we get a final recipe, I'll push harder for a name...once we get 5-6 strong ones, we'll vote. After that, we'll open up the floor for artwork, and when we get 5-6 designs, w'ell vote. We should have a final product by March, hopefully.

I'm planning on brewing the beer SOON. I'll also convert it to extract for you "poor little extract guys" :rolleyes: too.

Sam75 said:
I vote for this one as the final.

I thought we were going to brew it in June? :confused:

I'm gonna be way behind!

I'm going to brew it a few times before then to tweak. If it turns out any good--I'd love to enter this in the NHBC competition as a group brew.

Imagine if we won something? HELLS YEAH!

I'm down with finalization. Only thing is that I'll probably end up drinking this on 08-07-06. I just have too much to do in the immediate future...most of it brewing that I've already bought ingredients for.
Please someone with the knowledge post an extract/partial mash version of this. I don't have the equipment to do all grain, or the technology to figure it out. I could guess it, but someone with promash or whatever could help me do a more precise brew.
I'm going out on a limb, and for what I brew, I'm substituting one pound of rye for 12oz of Cara red, and I'm taking out a half pound of flaked rye. Since I'm doing a mini mash, I'm going to keep 2 pounds of 2-row, and I'm adding 6 pounds of plain dme.
Like I said about the delay thing...I have to order allthis online, and it'll take a while to get it into the rotation...however I'll still consider it an HBT brew all the way...
Thanks everybody. I'll let you know what happens.

BTW--Extract brewers, help me convert this mother while keeping it true.

Being a poor little extract guy myself, I'm in the same situation as Walker, contribution-wise. But I'll throw in a couple of name suggestions, just for the 060606 of it. :D

• Imp Ale (Shamelessly stolen from the Kingdom of Loathing)
  • Old Splitfoot Special
  • Cocytus Concoction
  • Malebolge Mellow (or Malt, Mead, Moxious, Musk-Ox, or Marvellous, or ... yes.)
  • HBT Infernal Red
  • A Snowball's Chance

Thought of few more names last night....

Lucifer's Private Reserve
Leviathan
Old Serpent
Wicked Union
Beelzebub (or Beezlebrew/Beezlebeer)

Route 666 Ale

I think it should be a pepper beer. Not a super-hot one, but a beer with peppers used in brewing. I had a habanero that wasn't hot,but delicious. Maybe a chipotle? Red pepper flakes?

It should be red (like Satan) or dark (for the Dark Lord).

How about "Forbidden Fruit" yeast, simply for the implications?

I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread, so perhaps these have been discussed.

The devil logged-in to HBT
He was looking for a soul to steal
And he was in a bind
'Cause he was way behind
And was willin' to make a deal.

When he came upon this young man brewing
an ale and throwing in hops
the devil jumped up on a big mash tun
and said,
"Boy let me tell you what:

I bet you didn't know it
but I'm a old home brewer too,
And if you care to take a dare
I'll make a bet with you
Now you make pretty good barley pop
But give the devil his due
I'll bet a kettle of gold against your soul
'Cause I think I'm better than you."

The boy said, "My name's The Dude
And it might be a sin
But I'll take your bet, your gonna regret
'Cause I'm the best that's ever been."

Duderino prime up your yeast and boil your
wort real hard 'Cause hell's broke loose at HBT
And the devil deals the cards
And if you win you get this shiny kettle made of gold
But if you lose the devil gets your soul.

The devil pulled out his grain mill and said,
"I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his fingertips
As he cracked his old 2-Row
He mashed it all with the heat of his hands
And it made an evil hiss
Then a crew of demons joined in
sparging it sounded something like this

When the devil finished The Dude said,
"Smells pretty good ol' son!
But sit down in that chair right there
And let me show you how it's done!"

Fire up the burner, drain that tun
Devil's in the house of the rising sun
Chickens in the breadpan, eating spent grain
Add finishing hops, turn off that flame

The devil bowed his head
Because he knew that he'd been beat,
And he laid that golden kettle
On the ground at The Dude's feet
The Dude said, "Devil, just come on back
if you ever wanna brew again.
I done told you once,
You son-of-a-*****,
I'm the best that's ever been!"

He played:
Fire up the burner, drain that tun
Devil's in the house of the rising sun
Chickens in the breadpan, eating spent grain
Add finishing hops, turn off that flame

Dude said:
Changed. Here's the latest:

A ProMash Recipe Report
-------------------------------
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.076 Plato: 18.35
Anticipated SRM: 13.6
Anticipated IBU: 54.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
40.0 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
13.3 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
13.3 2.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
10.0 1.50 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
6.7 1.00 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
6.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9
3.3 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
3.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
3.3 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 35.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.00 16.6 30 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 3.0 5 min.
2.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Notes
-----
secondary on oak chips

Beautiful! Works for me! Let's brew it!:D

Dude said:
I'll also convert it to extract for you "poor little extract guys" :rolleyes: too.

Can you really do that with this particular recipe? I thought that the flaked rye would cause starchy problems if not mashed??

If steeping the flaked rye is an option (is it???), then you could convert this to extract+grain by just swapping out the 2-row and using some DME instead.

However....that still leaves 9 lbs of other grains in there.... I can't come anywhere CLOSE to getting that much grain steeping in my kettle.

I think this recipe is a little too aggressive and complex to be converted to a respectable extract version.

-walker

Walker said:
Can you really do that with this particular recipe? I thought that the flaked rye would cause starchy problems if not mashed??

If steeping the flaked rye is an option (is it???), then you could convert this to extract+grain by just swapping out the 2-row and using some DME instead.-walker

It can be done; I've done it before! But you'll have to do it as a (take a deep breath here) partial mash. My Hop Rod Rye clone was an extract with grains.

It's not that bad.;) I just threw the flaked rye into my steeping bag along with my cracked specialty grains and placed it into ~2 gals of water and about a cup of DME tossed in. I brought the water temperature up to ~100oF for ~10 mins. Then I raised it to ~120-125oF for ~30-45 to help break the proteins up. After that, I brought the grains up to ~150 for ~30 mins., the removed the grain bag and boiled as usual.

Somebody else may have a better method. Yes, it adds time to your brew day. But that gives you extra time to relax, not worry and have more homebrews!:drunk: :cross:

I plan to brew our 666 beer (whatever we end up calling it) the first weekend in March. As for converting this entire recipe, I'll try and work on it, but I'm betting some minds greater than mine will come through!

Rhoobarb said:
It can be done; I've done it before! But you'll have to do it as a (take a deep breath here) partial mash. My Hop Rod Rye clone was an extract with grains.

It's not that bad.;) I just threw the flaked rye into my steeping bag along with my cracked specialty grains and placed it into ~2 gals of water and about a cup of DME tossed in. I brought the water temperature up to ~100oF for ~10 mins. Then I raised it to ~120-125oF for ~30-45 to help break the proteins up. After that, I brought the grains up to ~150 for ~30 mins., the removed the grain bag and boiled as usual...

Excellent method! I think all extracters would benifit using this method. The flaked will basically fall right apart and this method will work like a charm!

I'm still wondering how I'll get so much 'specialty grain' into my 20 qt kettle. :)

I would really like to try brewing this bad boy, so if someone comes up with a reasonable extract+grain recipe I'm all ears (or eyes, as it were.)

I just remember that when I brewed my Pandora's Box, I had something like 3 lbs of grain involved, and that was about as much as I could work with.

-walker

A few good names so far!

I really like "Lucifer's Private Reserve" as a name...

"Lucifer's Private Reserve" could be used with the "666" as well, like something of "Lucifer's Private Reserve" on top and "Stock #666" or "#666" below it. Or viceversa... "#666" with "Lucifer's Private Reserve" below. Either way it works well.

Also...

"Route 666" works as well, and could be followed up below with "Devil's Highway Ale" or "Highway To Hell Ale"

So far we have some great ones to choose from.

Walker said:
I'm still wondering how I'll get so much 'specialty grain' into my 20 qt kettle. :)

I would really like to try brewing this bad boy, so if someone comes up with a reasonable extract+grain recipe I'm all ears (or eyes, as it were.)

I just remember that when I brewed my Pandora's Box, I had something like 3 lbs of grain involved, and that was about as much as I could work with.

-walker

I hear ya! I'm at work (at lunch actually), so I can't get my hands on ProMash. But I'm thinking some of these specialty grains can be subbed by DME or LME.;)

Walker said:

-walker

Walker...don't worry, I'll convert it over tonight and post it. I'll probably drop the specialty grains a little bit so you guys don't have a huge sack of steeping grains. IMHO, you'll be able to extract enough qualities of thos malts to get the flavor you are looking for. Supplement the rest with DME/LME.

It'll be great!!!!

then count me in! If necessary, I can steep in multiple pots and combine it all together in the main pot before boiling and adding the DME.

I think I could actually swing the full 9 lbs of special grain (3 pots w/ 1 gallon of water and 3 lbs of grain each).

Bring it on!

I would be interested in aquiring a bottle of the AG version for comparison to the extract one... maybe I can work something out with BeeGee or Kai if they end up brewing this one.

-walker

sounds good. I was thinking of brewing this around the end of march/beginning of april, and cracking into it on 6/6/6 for the first time.

-walker

Okay, no more revisions on this baby...

As I have ordered my grain bill and hops. I will be going to my LHBS for the yeast, and will all set to brew in one week.

Now comes the worst part...waiting!

Tony said:
Okay, no more revisions on this baby...

As I have ordered my grain bill and hops. I will be going to my LHBS for the yeast, and will all set to brew in one week.

Now comes the worst part...waiting!

Now that the recipe is done, I'll probably brew it on the 11th. I'll order goods tonight or make a stop at the HBS next week. Doubt I can get all the stuff locally though.

So far for names I like your suggestion of Highway to Hell Ale (or some variation on that) the best. Keep the names coming.... :D

I'm gonna try to go out and buy a cooler and stuff to make a mash tun tomarrow and then brew this trying to get it into bottles by 01 MAR to drink on 06 Jun 06

May have to try and make this one at the firehouse . . . just seems right

Latest posts

Back