☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, I didn't think of looking at the harvest.

I keep waiting for sm to post some new Ethiopians but so far... Just keep waiting. Not a horrible selection but nothing to make me jump on it

Good point, I didn't think of looking at the harvest.

I keep waiting for sm to post some new Ethiopians but so far... Just keep waiting. Not a horrible selection but nothing to make me jump on it

Same here but my fingers are still crossed. If I see anything come through my inbox I’ll post here ASAP.

I am curious about that other vendor but I too noticed all the beans I looked at showed 2017. I’ll keep them in mind though.

Roasted up some Kenyan this morning. Somewhere around 24% development playing with my heat settings (was really hard to hear first crack) and 13.5% weight loss. I only had one pound of this particular lot so these numbers don't give me much as far as dialing in for this bean, but there was far less tipping in this roast than in any other roasts I've done. Also discovered the thermoprobe that is measuring my roasting chamber is acting up so that was a fun time.
Let us know how this roast worked out. Switching to 5 bars i think has helped the fresh yirg. I think. More berries and very nice.

I know everybody's tastes are different, but does anybody have experience with these Bali Blue Organic beans?

For reference, the Ethiopian Banko last year that was done as a group buy made it's way to me (via @Inkleg, thanks again) and was a big hit. My wife loves Kona coffee and does love the blueberry tones of most Ethiopians that we've tried - although she likes them roasted to Full City + rather than stopping at a CIty roast where a lot of people like the lighter/brighter roasts of those beans.

She's not a big fan of acidity in her coffee, preferring smoother, richer notes. Rwanda and Kenyan have gone over really well, too.

Based on that input, I'd love to hear anybody's thoughts on whether these seem worthwhile to try.
Sry never tried that. But i think i have had bali coffee. Ultimately i would rather have the banko and then anything else just to remind me how good it is. I think my fall back is going to be brazilian.

Oh no, dare I say it, kenyan, as a second choice. Jammin was right, the kenyan has a strong pull and I would have to come back to it.

To be sure, the berman konga is a berry patch bomb and is worth a taste if you are out and need a few pounds. Cant wait for roastmaster konga and crown jewel banko.

@applescrap @HarborTownBrewing @Inkleg @shelly_belly your coffee is packaged & put in the mail. There is a 22g sample I roasted this morning in each bag. Should be good for ~ 12oz cup. Ill post the profile in a bit.

5lbs left in anyone wants it! - 2nd box arrives tomorrow & I will ship out the remainder then.

Hama Tej PIC.jpg

Last edited:
Let us know how this roast worked out. Switching to 5 bars i think has helped the fresh yirg. I think. More berries and very nice.
This roast described in two words: HOT DAMN!

I'm going to over simplify some, but I'm going to liken it to the equivalent of drinking a berry danish. The jar I keep the beans in smells like a pastry shop when I open it to make my coffee. Snapped a shot of the bag this am to share what SM says about the coffee and their description is pretty damn good
20180911_060637.jpeg

Wait where did the Banko offer come from? Did I miss it? [emoji6]

Depending on the timing and what not I would like to jump in too if it works out. Cheers!

Got the package @jammin thanks again. I brewed up the sample you included as well - I'm curious to see your profile when you get a chance. I had expected it to be a little fruity but this was heavy on the spice. Or at least that's how it brewed for me.

^ill post it later tonight. it was nearly 10:30 overall which is quite a bit longer than I like to go. Not happy with that batch either but it’s a good indicator this coffee needs to be roasted fast. It’s quite prone to loss as well.

Question though - did the vac seal bag hold it’s seal? I got 5mil bags recently in hopes they wouldn’t get holes form sharper beans as easily

Question though - did the vac seal bag hold it’s seal? I got 5mil bags recently in hopes they wouldn’t get holes form sharper beans as easily

Haha ooooh yeah. The postal carrier handed me the bag and I was like, "is that all you've got for me?". I was thinking, "how did all the beans fit into that bag!?" Impressive sir.

Got the coffee. Cant wait to try it tomorrow! Bag held. No tipping, and visually an impressive roast. the coffee character seems very intact and well framed. Very light in the seam. It is clear that your roasting skills and tools are awesome. [emoji3]

Wow just cant believe you can roast in 1030 without tipping. How much at a time?

I brewed my sample up as 2 single shots of espresso only because the first shot was so smooth and tasty and also I have 5 pounds to play with. No bitterness at all. For a brief second I got the pomegranate taste that moved to clementine to lemon. Easy to work with too as I'm sure I over-extracted the second shot (distracted) and it was as good as the first. I hope my roasts turn out as well as @jammin s.

^I should have tossed in some of my espresso profile'd batch. Im getting some reeaally good shots from this coffee!

After finishing another cup this morning I can't help but enjoy this coffee. Just a really nice, pleasant, lingering sweetness with a hint of orange in the background.

Last edited:
^I should have tossed in some of my espresso profile'd batch. Im getting some reeaally good shots from this coffee!

After finishing another cup this morning I can't help but enjoy this coffee. Just a really nice, pleasant, lingering sweetness with a hint of orange in the background.
I haven't taken the plunge into an espresso machine. Yet... Right now it's aeropress, pourover, or cold brew. I was thinking this bean would have a profile more suited for the pourover, but I guess I will see what I can get out of it with the espresso as well.

Drank mine with my coffee buddy today. And I think it's an Exquisite cup. Not sure yet if I want 22 lb but wow what an amazing coffee. In my opinion it would be very difficult to find a coffee that is much better than this. The only coffees that I have had that are similar in quality are the other fresh expensive Ethiopians.

Received this morning, thanks jammin!

20oz in the hg/bm, not the most consistent roast but it went pretty well. Hit 1c at about 10 min which is as fast as I can go with this batch size. Can't wait to try this out tomorrow am!

I usually get better results on my second or third consecutive roast than I do on the first. I think my equipment needs time to warm up.

Awesome! Sorry I didn't get a sample added for the 2nd shipment.

Did the vac-seal hold on the bag? I recently upgraded from 3mil to 5mil bags because the lighter bags sprung leaks from sharp bean edges.
No dice on the vac seal.

I was absolutely not expecting a roasted sample jammin, no worries! I'm just happy to get a coffee that a bunch of people on here are roasting. Can't wait to hear more cupping notes from the group.

Oh yeah, here's a pic of the roast...

1537047252860.jpeg

Ethiopia Kochere Hama Tej Profiles:

Here's my first 2 attempts on this coffee. Really happy with the espresso profile and will likely speed it up a hair next time to see if I can coax more fruit out of it. It's great though and I probably shouldn't mess with it.

The drip profile is toastier than my normal light roasts but I think it's a great crown pleaser. It's got just enough roastiness to let everyone know; "yes, this is coffee". My next batch will be aiming for 8-8.5 minutes overall.

These beans are small & prone to losing lots of moisture during the roast. I'm most excited to hear how @shelly_belly does on the popper. Got a feeling this one is going to work well on that kit. The fast roast times combined with smaller beans that get lighter quickly (from moisture loss) should promote an even roast that is complimented by the speed. Curious to hear from our Behmor users too - this "tej"/honey process coffee should benefit from the gentle radiant heat application.

Drip:
Tej D HB.png

Espresso:
Tej E HB.png

Edit: @psubrewer - that roast looks supremely even & tasty! i found this coffee to be very predictable to roast. almost boringly so. i hope we're all able to take advantage of that & have a little fun experimenting w/o worry of really pooching a roast

Nice looking roast jimyson!

So I'm drinking the kocherre now here's what I get.

Pour over, 16:1 ratio.

Dark chocolate, citrus, Apple, very slight blueberry lingers. This is a fantastic coffee no doubt.

I feel like this coffee has more body, which I tend to prefer although I don't know if this is a general characteristic of honey processed coffees.

Second cup was in the aeropress, 14:1 ratio. Another fantastic cup.

I'm getting bakers chocolate and Carmel with an herbal quality to it as well this time. No berry in this cup.

I should preface all of my notes with the fact that I'm suffering through ragweed season here in the Northeast and allergies have undoubtedly numbed my taste.

My beans arrived today, thanks @jammin!

I'm doing a small test roast for my wife to see how she wants them roasted. I've never done a small batch like this and I think it went from 1st to 2nd in a heartbeat but we'll see.

Thanks again for letting me join in the fun.

Screenshot_20180917-171846.jpeg

Ugh, garbage roast. I switched to lower power on a smaller batch and it cracked at 940. Let it go to 1050. Just slightly underdeveloped. Enough to bother me, coffee is stellar with a nice chocolate scent to the roasted bean.

^looks like a great roast. did another batch just now myself. it seems like this coffee needs a good kick in the pants to get it up to speed.

Edit: Said roast. -13.7% which ironically is exactly the same as my 1st batch. Shaved about a minute off the overall time & a couple degrees.

Tej D HB 9:18:18.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back