☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Ethiopia bean I've probably had for 2 or so years. When i first tried it I loved it so I bought a lot more but didn't go through it as quickly as I expected. Over time the flavors have dissipated.

I've also struggled in roasting it the last year. I decided to hit it hard with heat because I've had a hard time catching 1c on this bean lately. So my goal was to get to 1c quick and maybe hear an aggressive crack.

Well, 1c never really came. I got a few pops around the 8 min and 9 min mark but that was about it. I was disappointed.

Tried it this morning and it's actually really good. The best roast I've had on it in the last year without a doubt. Im guessing the age is creating a condition that doesn't allow me to year much of a 1c regardless of how I roast it.

It's turned into a frustrating coffee to roast but it's a good reminder to not buy too much of something, and to not let it sit on the shelf.

It's turned into a frustrating coffee to roast but it's a good reminder to not buy too much of something, and to not let it sit on the shelf.
I'm reminding myself of this lesson lately. Been churning through beans that have been around too long. Down to stuff that I've had for 6mo or less now, except for some decaf that's been around since January 2017.

Just threw away some roasted decaf, it didn't brew well and my wife said it tasted terrible. I knew it had been around for a while; checked notes: roasted 6/22. Yeah, not surprised that it didn't turn out well.

Not yet, been on the go the last few days. I'm hoping to sit down an watch it in the next week.

They did some initial videos on the bullet a few months ago, about 30 mins long for each of them. They were good but Tom has a tendency to carry on and get sidetracked. Soooooo, I don't have high expectations haha.

I'll let you know though. Hoping there is good, general roasting info if nothing else.

I roasted two Ethiopians, at 6 minutes or so on both I left them full fan and switch to one bar less power. Surprisingly they only cracked a little past normal. Also surprisingly even though there is a little less tipping I think they look very similar. Makes me wonder.
Pulled the konga right as it started cracking, and othe left a little longer. We are out of filters and I really wanted to taste them. I've seen cupping in videos and have no idea how to do it, but it looked like boiling water was put into grinds. So I ground some up and put them in a cup. Put near boiling water over them, set a timer for 3 minutes. I really enjoyed the way these brewed. Seemed almost like a French press. The fruit flavor was near the same but the slower roasted was definitely richer. The quicker roast as rao speaks to in that video, I perceive as much brighter. The quicker roast is brighter more acidic, and lightly fruity. The slower roast is more rich, caramelized, and nicely accentuated by fruit. I think I smell some green still left in the bean? The roast I let go a little longer is the same but since I know this beam doesn't have a lot of fruit flavor, I think this roast is nice for it. As for the other it I can't decide which one I want. They are both good one is just brighter. Because of the Brewing method I can't be certain too much yet. I feel that fruit flavor in Ethiopians is diminished the longer it cracks. I pull the beans right as those first few cracks really get going and cool instantly.

@applescrap -

Ive had a idea/picture in my head for a little bit now about your HG/BM kit. My thought was to make a stand for your HG with black iron pipe. Something that parks next to your BM & is like a holster for the HG. The feature I have in mind next to the convenience would be a temp probe that reads the HG's air temp. The picture I keep thinking of goes something like this: A large T, perhaps a 2" fitting that the nozzle of the heat gun goes into. The side of the T would be connected to the stand. The outlet/bottom part might have a small nipple - maybe 2-3" or whatever needed to create a length of pipe to not only duct the air into the BM, but hold a bit of space to put in the temp probe. The air from the HG would blow right over the probe on it's way to the beans.
I would think you could quite easily adjust the HG's power to fine tune air temp & adjust roast curve.

Does that make sense? Sounds crazy?

Last edited:
Help me understand it more. I have a pretty good clamp system now with the dewalt quick clamp on entertainment cabinet. Can control tip depth well.

I stumbled on to this gem the other day. 1929 Jabez Burns Roaster
20180831_140159.jpg

^cool. order is in & the box is now spoken for. if the box ships soon it might make it here Saturday. i think everyone has my email/PP right? PM me if you need to update anything otherwise just shoot me a PayPal.

The Bona Vita Digital Goose Neck Kettle is what I have. Lots of options out there at different prices points. I'm pretty happy with it. My last kettle didn't have a goose neck & it was PITA to brew coffee with.

One thing I like about the Bona Vita; it has a timer function. Really handy.

I have the same kettle and love it. Got it for $30 when teavana was going out of business. I need to use it more with my pour over coffee maker. We use it a lot for tea.

IGot it for $30

WOW! what a steal. By far the best bargain Ive heard of but it does go on good sales so DONT PAY RETAIL! I paid $95 in August of 13' and I'm still butthurt about it haha. At least it's given me 5 years of faithful daily service.

I really want to wait for the blueberries and then go all in, but hell yeah. Hope you have 5 left.

Sorry that box went so quickly, Apple. I grabbed a box kind of on a whim but after reading the analysis I think it's gonna be a really tasty coffee.

Ill order another box tonight or tomorrow morning. $43/5lb to your door

3 bags available gang - PM me if you want one :)

Last edited:
Since someone has been awesome enough to send me down another rabbit hole with an AeroPress (huge thanks @shelly_belly )!
I'm now looking into electric gooseneck kettles. Thoughts and experiences?

I hate you all. ;)

I second the Bonavita Gooseneck that Jammin linked to. I would suggest the 1.7 L. The price they have that posted it right now is pretty good, too.

You'd be surprised how much a difference a two degree spread in your brew temp can have in some coffees. The adjustable temperature feature is fantastic. I talked my in-laws into this feature when they upgraded their kettle and it helps me a lot when I'm visiting them.

1.7L kettle is on the way. Anything else y'all what to help me spend money on? Pour over thoughts? :D

Well since you asked....I highly recommend the Able Kone. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E58P6WU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It sits in the Chemex and is like a nice blend of a French Press and a paper Chemex filter. You get the oils but also the brightness you would normally get from the heavy paper filter.

It's freaking expensive but you can get a used one for $25 or $30. Looks like the used option is $30 right now. I got a "used" one and it was brand new...just didn't have the box. I've had it since Christmas and haven't bought paper filters since, so it's just about paid for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted by that electric kettle. Probably don't need yet another thing like that though. Have three stovetop kettles (one is gooseneck, should probably drop one off at goodwill) and the wife has an electric at her office.

Well since you asked....I highly recommend the Able Kone. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E58P6WU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It sits in the Chemex and is like a nice blend of a French Press and a paper Chemex filter. You get the oils but also the brightness you would normally get from the heavy paper filter.

It's freaking expensive but you can get a used one for $25 or $30. Looks like the used option is $30 right now. I got a "used" one and it was brand new...just didn't have the box. I've had it since Christmas and haven't bought paper filters since, so it's just about paid for itself.

Was just looking at those again last night. Didn't consider the used option...

So after drinking the roasts where i switched to 5 of 6 power at 7 and let finish with shortish 1c, i feel i can taste green. Im not certain but i sense a little green hiding. I can see why your 1c is longer with a method like this. There is definitely a rewarding quality to Coffee roasted this way. But there is also some diminishment in my opinion from a full speed full power roast. I am theorizing here, but I wonder if the delicate Berry flavors that I love can still be maintained through a sustained first crack. If first crack is approached slowly then experience has shown me that it must be continued or there will be some under development in the bean. That extension of first crack will diminish the berry flavors in my opinion. I think many of you have seen that as you are taking short of first cracks you are getting more fruit flavor. The problem is depending on how you get to that first crack, you might be risking fruit flavor for slight under development. Full speed full power has the problem of tipping. Perhaps a very long slow drying phase and then intense Heat will work. But because the beans are dry that high power needs to be a little less.

So after drinking the roasts where i switched to 5 of 6 power at 7 and let finish with shortish 1c, i feel i can taste green. Im not certain but i sense a little green hiding. I can see why your 1c is longer with a method like this. There is definitely a rewarding quality to Coffee roasted this way. But there is also some diminishment in my opinion from a full speed full power roast. I am theorizing here, but I wonder if the delicate Berry flavors that I love can still be maintained through a sustained first crack. If first crack is approached slowly then experience has shown me that it must be continued or there will be some under development in the bean. That extension of first crack will diminish the berry flavors in my opinion. I think many of you have seen that as you are taking short of first cracks you are getting more fruit flavor. The problem is depending on how you get to that first crack, you might be risking fruit flavor for slight under development. Full speed full power has the problem of tipping. Perhaps a very long slow drying phase and then intense Heat will work. But because the beans are dry that high power needs to be a little less.

If you want berry, just do whatever @jammin did with the beans he sent me. First pour smelled like a bowl of fruity pebbles cereal. I drank it this AM and liked it, but TBH I kinda like the darker flavors more.

Thanks! Have a used one on the way with a Hario V60.

Wife and I have been enjoying playing around with the AreoPress thanks again @shelly_belly !

Now I'm off to see what Mitch Steele has pouring. https://newrealmbrewing.com

Eeeeegad, forgot about a konga roast and took it into 2nd crack. Ugh, all i can taste is char. Reroasted normal light, full power, 30 seconds after 1 c, maybe less.

Roasted up some Kenyan this morning. Somewhere around 24% development playing with my heat settings (was really hard to hear first crack) and 13.5% weight loss. I only had one pound of this particular lot so these numbers don't give me much as far as dialing in for this bean, but there was far less tipping in this roast than in any other roasts I've done. Also discovered the thermoprobe that is measuring my roasting chamber is acting up so that was a fun time.
20180910_073239.jpeg

I know everybody's tastes are different, but does anybody have experience with these Bali Blue Organic beans?

For reference, the Ethiopian Banko last year that was done as a group buy made it's way to me (via @Inkleg, thanks again) and was a big hit. My wife loves Kona coffee and does love the blueberry tones of most Ethiopians that we've tried - although she likes them roasted to Full City + rather than stopping at a CIty roast where a lot of people like the lighter/brighter roasts of those beans.

She's not a big fan of acidity in her coffee, preferring smoother, richer notes. Rwanda and Kenyan have gone over really well, too.

Based on that input, I'd love to hear anybody's thoughts on whether these seem worthwhile to try.

The bali blue moon is more like a clean Sumatra coffee, good body not as earthy. The natural process version of the bali blue moon coffee can be very fruity.

To add to what jammin said, if your wife likes something bold and rich with low acidity, try a blend of Guatemalan with Tanzanian. Thick, rich, and bold flavors without having to take it into second crack. I don't find many coffees that I like as a single origin because I want a complex cup. I find a couple coffees that have a complimentary flavor and body profile and usually have a "base" coffee I will have as 2/3 of the blend and then I select a "condiment" coffee that I think will accent and build on what the base has going on. This simple formula has provided stellar results for me, especially for something you plan for espresso or aeropress

Yep, we have tried Brazilian and Columbian as well. Both were well received. I appreciate all your input and maybe will start to play with blends more, great idea.

Anyone ever order from Mill47? https://mill47.coffee/collections

I had never heard of them until now. The prices seem fair but the website is incredibly transparent, all the way down to listing the farmer by name. I'm intrigued given their varieties and prices BUT... their cupping scores are on the lower side... Most being scored 85 to 89. Typically I look for 89 plus (on Sweet Maria's).

Wonder if the quality is just as good, but without quite as generous a score as SMs gives? I'm interested in anyone's thoughts.

That Yrg would make a good barometer. All I saw was 2017 crop coffee which can be OK if it was stored properly which would be pricey and therefore unlikely.

Back