☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I misunderstood, but didn't you under-roast using your Behmor? How did you have burnt beans in there?

I didn't provide much information. I started my roast in Auto, but when the heaters cycled off the first time, I went to P5. By not paying attention to the temp well enough, it went to err2 somewhere around the 8:00 to go mark. When the err2 occurred, if I remember correctly, the drum stopped AND the fans stopped...not a cooling cycle, but a complete shutdown. I figure the beans that were against the drum and facing the now shutdown, but still very hot heaters were exposed to all that heat and began to burn. I even heard a few first cracks. The result of that "roast" was a lot of yellow beans, some greenish, some brown and a few burnt. That's when I tossed them in a container and assumed they were a loss. After I saw your suggestion to re-roast is when I picked out the burnt beans and gave it a go. I'm not at 10,000 hours yet, but this was a lesson for me in paying full attention to the roast.;)

My first couple manual roasts ended in err2's as well. I gave up on manual for a while before trying it again. The programs aren't great, but are better than burnt beans and interrupted roasts.

After getting the routine down, I mostly know when to adjust heat to keep it where I want on manual, but honestly, the difference between the manual roasts and the programs is not huge if the program is used correctly and stopped at the right point. I'd suggest sticking with the programs until you get the hang of stopping when you get the roast you want.

My Vario-W is on the fritz unfortunately and delivering shorts doses. When set to 18 grams, the grinder is only dosing about 8 grams. I just sent an email to Kyle @ Baratza explaining the issue & look forward to hearing what he can do for me. I requested a quote on upgrading to the new Forté BG and Im sure ill bite no matter the offer. It's way to shiny and cool for me to pass up. My only concern is that my OG machined burrs from Ditting might not swap over and that I'd lose grind quality. The new Forte comes with steel burrs but I have a hunch that i got lucky catching Baratza when they were having Ditting machine burrs for them before they we set up to make their own

Alternatively their new conical burred, timed dosing machine looks quite nice as well. I don't have a lot of experience with these newer conical burr sets but I've heard they quite impressive. I might have to ask Kyle how they stack and do some snooping around before I make my final decision....

Here is a glamour shot of the Forté BG I want -

prod_forte-bg.jpg

fortebg1.jpg

I took 3 lbs of coffee, my chemex, grinder, and scale on a mini get-away with family to make coffee for everyone. Always a lot of work, but a lot of fun. My sister in law couldn't believe how good the coffee was and wanted to buy some right away.

It's always fun to watch people's reactions when they try good, fresh coffee for the first time.

Anyways, Baratza sent me the burr holder that broke, for free, and I was able to replace it in about 35 seconds. I guess there is a 1% failure rate of this happening, for one reason or another. Looking forward to getting consistently fine grinds again!

^great to hear.

As update to my Vario-W, kyle actually responded to me on the 4th of July persuaded me to trouble shoot my grinder. He talked me out of spending extra money and assured me the grind quality of my VW would not be improved by the newer models and I should trouble shoot mine with their help. A simple recalibration is all it took & im back on track

^great to hear.

As update to my Vario-W, kyle actually responded to me on the 4th of July persuaded me to trouble shoot my grinder. He talked me out of spending extra money and assured me the grind quality of my VW would not be improved by the newer models and I should trouble shoot mine with their help. A simple recalibration is all it took & im back on track

I'm sorry to hear haha. I was getting geeked about the Sette until I figured out my issue was an easy fix. Guess we'll just have to find something else to buy!

I didn't provide much information. I started my roast in Auto, but when the heaters cycled off the first time, I went to P5. By not paying attention to the temp well enough, it went to err2 somewhere around the 8:00 to go mark. When the err2 occurred, if I remember correctly, the drum stopped AND the fans stopped...not a cooling cycle, but a complete shutdown. ;)

This is exactly what my Behmor does now all the time, but every once in a while it'll make it to 6 minutes left. I have to let the machine and beans cool completely for a couple of hours and then I start over with the slightly roasted beans. After 2 or 3 tries, my beans are roasted. I've given up on my Behmor and am looking for a new roaster but nothing appeals to me. I liked the Behmor because I could roast 2 batches on Sunday and have enough coffee for 2 weeks. I'm thinking of a 2 pound drum and a gas grill, anybody have any comments or suggestions.

This is exactly what my Behmor does now all the time, but every once in a while it'll make it to 6 minutes left. I have to let the machine and beans cool completely for a couple of hours and then I start over with the slightly roasted beans. After 2 or 3 tries, my beans are roasted. I've given up on my Behmor and am looking for a new roaster but nothing appeals to me. I liked the Behmor because I could roast 2 batches on Sunday and have enough coffee for 2 weeks. I'm thinking of a 2 pound drum and a gas grill, anybody have any comments or suggestions.

I looked at that option for quite a while. Might have done it, but I only cook over charcoal, and I wasn't sure it would work, or that I'd end up with the charcoal flavor in my beans :)

I found some guy that made them in many sizes, with and without motors. Pretty sweet. It was online, but I just searched my bookmarks and it wasn't there.

Have you tried larger batch sizes? Or roasting in manual if you have the Plus panel? Its just getting too hot.

Cool thing to do. Whatroasts did you give them that they liked Harbor Town? Just curious

I was brewing this Ethioppia Gedeb Asasa. https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/ethiopia-gedeo-zone-gedeb-asasa-5034 Fantastic summer brew, very light and subtle fruits. I ordered about 30 lbs of it because it's an easy drinker with lots of flavor.

I made about 6 large Chemex pots of coffee and poured them into various thermos's to serve at the beach. Took about an hour to brew it all!

I looked at that option for quite a while. Might have done it, but I only cook over charcoal, and I wasn't sure it would work, or that I'd end up with the charcoal flavor in my beans :)

I found some guy that made them in many sizes, with and without motors. Pretty sweet. It was online, but I just searched my bookmarks and it wasn't there.
I would have to buy a dedicated gas grill, I have 3 charcoal grills/smokers but have never liked cooking on gas. But I would like to just buy one more roaster, one with no electronics to go south on me.

http://www.rkdrums.com/

Anyone have advice on roasting Columbian beans?

I sort of treated it like a normal central american and I wasn't shy with the heat, but unlike other centrals, this one seems to get away from my and 1C dies off and right away starts to sound like 2C. I'm just really struggling with the bean temp rising and getting away from me.

So roasted slower and lower. It was weird, heard first crack better and longer. Also had pause untill second crack. Easier to judge roast and also less variation. Only problem was standing there cranking thing 13 minutes sucked. I'll live with a little variation over that. Think I found a good spot just a little into the second crack. Dark with tan plumbers butt. Not nutty and toasted like a light roast and not too much burnt overtones. Hard to get real picture. Flash to light, and no flash to varied.

View attachment 1468076725342.jpg

So roasted slower and lower. It was weird, heard first crack better and longer. Also had pause untill second crack. Easier to judge roast and also less variation. Only problem was standing there cranking thing 13 minutes sucked. I'll live with a little variation over that. Think I found a good spot just a little into the second crack. Dark with tan plumbers butt. Not nutty and toasted like a light roast and not too much burnt overtones. Hard to get real picture. Flash to light, and no flash to varied.

That looks like a pretty good, and uniform, roast scrappy.

Roast them like an Ethiopian. Keep roast times shorter & use convection if possible to mitigate higher MET's

I used fewer beans and roasted my typical Ethiopian profile. This gave me more control and helped me keep the beans from getting away from me. All in all, went pretty well although I still struggled to pull back the heat as quickly as I wanted to during 1C.

Thanks for the suggestion Jammin.

I used fewer beans and roasted my typical Ethiopian profile. This gave me more control and helped me keep the beans from getting away from me. All in all, went pretty well although I still struggled to pull back the heat as quickly as I wanted to during 1C.

Thanks for the suggestion Jammin.

Fantastic - can't wait to hear how they taste!

Fantastic - can't wait to hear how they taste!

The Columbian came out okay. Nothing particularly special. Sweet and a little vanilla but definitely not the chocolate flavors I expected. I'll give it a little more rest to see.

It makes a bad ass espresso though. Very rich and creamy.

The Columbian came out okay. Nothing particularly special. Sweet and a little vanilla but definitely not the chocolate flavors I expected. I'll give it a little more rest to see.

It makes a bad ass espresso though. Very rich and creamy.

Sounds like you nailed it to me. It's takes a special Colombian to make a noteworthy cup. When they're a nice microlot however, they can be great. I've always got my eye out for them but they seldom come along

Sounds like you nailed it to me. It's takes a special Colombian to make a noteworthy cup. When they're a nice microlot however, they can be great. I've always got my eye out for them but they seldom come along

Yeah after I typed up my description I remembered I bought this bean as a base for espresso. That said, when I botched the previous roast and 1c rolled into 2c, it was really really good as a SO espresso.

I'll play with it some more. It seems versatile.

I just can't get over the way this coffee looks and tastes. I can now definitely taste that it is acidic. It has a tea body, is see through, and is nutty tasting backed by complete origin notes. You might assume I didn't use any coffee, but there is over a half cup of fresh ground in there for 20oz, 4 5oz cups. I only know the roasting process in passing. But at some point there is a super sweet smell that is like sugar being caramelized. Seems like i would want to drink those sugars. This one is too light I want to try right after 1c next.

View attachment 1468515024154.jpg

Your preferences might vary, but, I think in general that you'll want to roast through first crack and no further unless you like the dark roast flavors. I've been generally dumping at end of first crack or slightly thereafter for nearly all my roasts. The gamut of flavor and aroma will change during the process for sure. Looks like you've got a really light roast there. What brewing ratio of water to ground coffee are you using ?

I've been getting some super funky shots from my Sumatra.

Today I was describing it to someone and they were like "eww sounds like the forest floor"

Why yes. And it's delightful.

Playing with the manual mode on the Behmor and really getting the hang of it,View attachment 361677

I have the original without manual mode. I wonder if it would be a good thing to upgrade to the new panel?

My best recent roast in the behmor is Sweet Marias Guatamalan Patzun Finca la Florida. This one is really good.

My most recent procedure is to preheat the machine on 1lb, P1, A profile for a minute and a half and then hit stop and pop the beans in and go to whatever program I'm going to do. It seems I can do a lb of beans without a problem with the preheating. On this bean I used 1lb, P1, A profile, ++++ (I think) and cracked the door for thirty seconds at the start of first crack. I had a good silence after first crack on this one. That can be tricky it seems. They don't always work out that well!

I have the original without manual mode. I wonder if it would be a good thing to upgrade to the new panel?

I couldn't imagine roasting without the newer panel for manual roasting, but I know a few people who had the older model and knew how to use it so they weren't going to upgrade and learn a new model.

I got coffee demolished this last weekend. I was at the in laws townhouse in vail and made some coffee. The problem is that they go up once a week at most and that coffee pot was skanked. Should have known something wasnt right, right away. About halfway through first cup i realized i was drinking mold and mildew. Made me throw up about half an hour later. Screwed with me the rest of the day too.

Ugh. And I thought that my parents' coffee maker was bad... Mom uses flavored coffees, so those syrups/oils stick to everything and almost all coffee tastes the same, but it's never made me actually sick! I try to remember coffee and a French press when I go there, but it doesn't always happen.

I gifted my parents a french press, but they never use it. So whenever I visit I bring my grinder and use their press or my Chemex.

Those flavored coffees aren't kind on their grinder, either.

speaking of press pots - i have to give yet another shameless plug for my favorite one:) the bodum columbia! Its a double walled stainless press & I've been using it for almost 3 years now

Last edited by a moderator:
Back