☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick follow-up regarding the funny noises and prolonged roast times:
-Ran the roaster on Saturday for a cleaning cycle, and no noises.
-Sunday I was going to roast, so I started it up (before I put the beans in) to see if it would make the noise, and it did. I turned it off, tried again, and it did it again.
-I turned it off again, then went and dimmed the lights a bit in the kitchen (mood lighting for the roast session, of course). When I tried the roaster again, it didn't make strange noises.
-I turned off the roaster, brought the lights back up, and started it again and it did not make the noise.
-So eventually I started my roast, it didn't make a noise, and the roast hit 1C at about 13:00, which is right around where I had been before I was having this issue.

I don't know if I have fuzzy power or what the deal is. And for the life of me, I can't find my Kill-A-Watt! Something tells me it's buried under a bunch of cat toys...

Ultimately though, I got a pretty good looking roast, which I had struggled with the last few times. Excited to try it later this week.

Well, w/o too 3rd wave and hipster - faster roasts accentuate the terroir of the coffee and highlight acidity.

Slower roasts mute the flavor profile and boost melanoidins.

Too be brief, slow roasts are boring and flat. Of course, ymmv.

Personally, i generally aim for a 8.5/min 1C. I'll the stretch the roast anywhere from 1-3min depending on the bean and what it needs to be its best.

I don't understand the 3rd wave and hipster comment? Anyway, precharged the roaster by running it up to 400 degrees before turning it off and adding the beans. Got 1C to start right around 9.5 minutes, so will see what kind of difference that'll make.

3rd wave coffee is characterized by roasters such as Stumptown and Intelligentsia. They are known for their ultra light and fast roasts. This can create a very acidic cup and is a stark contrast to the popular dark roast sold by Starbucks.

These 3rd wave cafes are generally packed with hipsters and neck beards that talk about coffee like a wine snob but I digress ..

Anyhow - curious to hear how your roast turns out. 9.5min is not a bad time to 1C. I suspect you'll notice a more diverse spectrum of flavors in the cup and a more vibrant acidity. Probably more sweetness as well

Quick follow-up regarding the funny noises and prolonged roast times:
-Ran the roaster on Saturday for a cleaning cycle, and no noises.
-Sunday I was going to roast, so I started it up (before I put the beans in) to see if it would make the noise, and it did. I turned it off, tried again, and it did it again.
-I turned it off again, then went and dimmed the lights a bit in the kitchen (mood lighting for the roast session, of course). When I tried the roaster again, it didn't make strange noises.
-I turned off the roaster, brought the lights back up, and started it again and it did not make the noise.
-So eventually I started my roast, it didn't make a noise, and the roast hit 1C at about 13:00, which is right around where I had been before I was having this issue.

I don't know if I have fuzzy power or what the deal is. And for the life of me, I can't find my Kill-A-Watt! Something tells me it's buried under a bunch of cat toys...

Ultimately though, I got a pretty good looking roast, which I had struggled with the last few times. Excited to try it later this week.

Could you try another circuit? Preferably one that is isolated.

Could you try another circuit? Preferably one that is isolated.

I was thinking about that this morning, actually. I'll have to look at my circuit panel and see what I have available.

I've just about gone through the 8 lbs of green beans that came with the roaster, in addition to other beans I've roasted that I had from before. I've come to the conclusion that I need to get a few pounds of the same exact bean and try roasting it different ways so I can get a better handle on how the roaster responds to different tweaks.

I was thinking about that this morning, actually. I'll have to look at my circuit panel and see what I have available.

I've just about gone through the 8 lbs of green beans that came with the roaster, in addition to other beans I've roasted that I had from before. I've come to the conclusion that I need to get a few pounds of the same exact bean and try roasting it different ways so I can get a better handle on how the roaster responds to different tweaks.

Maybe you and I should each roast a half pound of the same bean on the same settings and same day, then send 1/4lb to each other. Could be an interesting experiment anyway.

Maybe you and I should each roast a half pound of the same bean on the same settings and same day, then send 1/4lb to each other. Could be an interesting experiment anyway.

I'd be up for that, absolutely. You're in Gurnee I see, I'm near Wrigley, so I don't think shipping would be too bad.

When I get home I'll look at which beans I have left from my Roastmasters order and will let you know!

3rd wave coffee is characterized by roasters such as Stumptown and Intelligentsia. They are known for their ultra light and fast roasts. This can create a very acidic cup and is a stark contrast to the popular dark roast sold by Starbucks.

These 3rd wave cafes are generally packed with hipsters and neck beards that talk about coffee like a wine snob but I digress ..

Anyhow - curious to hear how your roast turns out. 9.5min is not a bad time to 1C. I suspect you'll notice a more diverse spectrum of flavors in the cup and a more vibrant acidity. Probably more sweetness as well

Ah. Since Charles Bronson and I are on the same page when it comes to hipsters I now know to avoid these so called 3rd wave coffee cafes, less I be asked to review someone's freshly typed screen play.

Funny, because I scored some stump town green beans from a friend who knows somebody and I must say I don't like them. I've tried from City+ to Fully City+ and I can't seem to get them where I think they are good. I got 5 lbs so I'll keep trying different profiles and setting to see if I can get them dialed in. Maybe I need to be wearing skinny jeans and a trucker hat when I roast?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

@jammin. Yeah that certainly made a difference. Didn't really think it would be much; but, a definite brighter cleaner cup. Sharper acidity and more define flavors. Like it went from a low frequency sine wave to high frequency.

Right on! Really glad to hear it.

Another thing to keep in mind; garbage in = garbage out.

Quality beans can make up for a lot of shortcomings in the roast. Low grade beans simply can't be saved. This can leave the novice roaster wondering where they messed up leading to more confusion.

I've had beans before that you almost couldn't pooch. They tasted great no matter how much I missed my mark on the roast.

I like sweet Maria's a lot because I've come to understand tom's scoring chart and how it relate's to my taste. I generally don't buy a coffee unless it's over a 9 in either sweetness or flavor. I'll almost always try it if it's over 9 in both.

Has anyone had any luck roasting a Decaf bean and having it taste any good? I've never had a decaf coffee that tasted any good at all, but I'd like to have some from time to time. Thought about ordering some beans and seeing if they came out any good.

rarely.

Jeff Pentel who own's Redbird Coffee out of Montana used to roast a KILLER decaf. Probably the only one Ive ever enjoyed.

The decaf process strips the bean of all the god flavor. This leads to a very flat, boring coffee. It's also a serious pain to roast because the beans are less dense and drier than normal. Scorching/tipping becomes more of a problem and rolling into an early/uncontrolled 1C is anothe issue with decaf.

I love coffee and would drink it all day if I could find a good decaf. Sadly, they all suck and its just not worth it for me.

My 2 cents if you go for it. Keep your roast light and dump the beans as soon as 1C finishes or right as its finishing up

rarely.

Jeff Pentel who own's Redbird Coffee out of Montana used to roast a KILLER decaf. Probably the only one Ive ever enjoyed.

The decaf process strips the bean of all the god flavor. This leads to a very flat, boring coffee. It's also a serious pain to roast because the beans are less dense and drier than normal. Scorching/tipping becomes more of a problem and rolling into an early/uncontrolled 1C is anothe issue with decaf.

I love coffee and would drink it all day if I could find a good decaf. Sadly, they all suck and its just not worth it for me.

My 2 cents if you go for it. Keep your roast light and dump the beans as soon as 1C finishes or right as its finishing up

Thanks Jammin, that's exactly what I was figuring. I have never paid good money for a decaf, because I just couldn't find the worth, but I've thought about maybe buying some on Sweet Maria's site and seeing what I can get out of them. May be an okay experiment for $7 or $8.

I wish I could drink the caffeinated stuff all day, but I just can't do it - generally my rule is I don't drink coffee after 3:30 PM, otherwise I can't sleep.

Interesting comments on decaf. I never drink it myself, but my wife switched to decaf a few months ago. Only time i'll drink decaf is generally if i'm going to a coffee shop in the evening, and then it's usually in a mocha or something where I might not notice the coffee as much.

I just got 4lb of decaf beans in from sweet maria's yesterday. I had read that they're drier and roast more quickly so i was planning to use a lower heat setting on the roaster. Any other tips?

Dan I think your best bet would be to hit with high heat early, and taper down as you see fit prior to entering 1C. You will want your drum temps to be in control as the browning phase is finishing as this is when the beans are becomming vulnerable to scorching. This will also allow you to have a controlled 1C and hopefully finish the roast AS 1C is just finishing up.

The reason you want hit the beans hot n' fast early as this is when the beans have the most moisture. Moisture is a great conductor of heat, therefor the beans can handle more heat.

If you can move through drying faster, the beans will retain and carry more moisture into 1C, thus making them less liable to scorching and also promoting what little terroir they have left.

You can use these principles really with all beans if you understand how soft/dense they are.

Good luck!

Thought maybe some of you would be interested in this, and since I'm wired up on almost 50oz of french pressed coffee I thought i'd share:

As suggested earlier this week, @HarborTownBrewing and I swapped some home roasted coffee for comparison. We each had 1/2lb of "Costa Rica SHB Montanas del Diamante" from the sampler packs from Roastmasters. We each roasted on Tuesday night and mailed half of the batch on Wednesday. Not surprisingly since we're about 30 miles from each other, it only cost a couple dollars and took 1-2 days to get the coffee via USPS. I brewed some this morning to compare.

(overly verbose) roasting notes from me:
TallDan said:
OK, my batch is roasted. I weighed out 8oz of the Costa Rica SHB Montanas del Diamante, plugged the roaster into the kill-a-watt and started taking some notes. Plugged in, but not turned on, I was showing 122.8v, that dropped to 119v as soon as the roaster was actually running. Pre-heated the roaster on P1 for 1:30, then put the drum and tray in it and started the cycle. At each minute interval, i recorded the temperature reported by the behmor by each of it's probes by holding the A/B buttons, as well as the amperage reported by the kill-o-watt.

13min a:129 b:135 8.9a
12min a:129 b:158 8.9a
11min a:129 b:190 8.9a
10min a:129 b:221 9.07a
9 min a:129 b:248 9.07a
8 min a:129 b:271 9.17a
7 min a:162 b:264 0.9a
6 min a:145 b:268 9.11a
5 min a:149 b:271 .39a
4 min a:160 b:253 9.12a
3 min a:171 b:248 .4a
2 min a:180 b:248 9.11a
--hit c at 1:40, adjusted remaining time to 2:09--
1:30 a:201 b:248 9.14a
:30 a:194 b:255 9.11a
:00 a:208 b:262 .52a

Just before the 8 minute mark, the roaster started humming/vibrating, which it seems to do more often when i’m doing 1/2lb roasts than 1/4lb roasts, this lasted a minute or so.

Just before the 7 minute mark (when the humming stopped, i noticed the heating elements were switching on and off, which made the power draw go up and down dramatically.

Around the 6 minute mark, the coffee was just starting to turn brown, and was mostly brown at the 4 minute mark.

unattend prompt came up at 3:11

i heard the first pop of the first crack at about 2:30, but then didn’t hear anymore until about 2:00. I hit the C button at 1:40 remaining, which bumped the timer back up to 2:09, so from there i took my remaining readings at the :30 marks.

by 1:30 it was well into 1c, by :30 remaining, it had just about stopped, and i got a little bit of smoke.

Post-roast weight was 6.7oz, so split in two that's about 3.4oz of roasted coffee that i'm sending your way.

...and (more reasonable) roasting notes from @HarborTownBrewing:

HarborTownBrewing said:
-1:45 min preheat on P1, then killed it.
-Inserted the drum and tray, along with the beans. Set it for P2.
-Noted 1C starting at 11:45
-Noted 1C ending around 13:12
-Stopped the roast at 13:20.

It's a fairly light roast, and I'm wondering if I should have taken it further, but on the bright side we'll have two different degrees of roast to compare. It looks like your roast stopped 30 seconds after 1C ended, and my roast ended 12 seconds after 1C ended. We both did a pre-heat too, so that should help show the difference between the two since yours went an extra 18 seconds. This was my first time doing a preheat, and I noticed it shaved about a minute off the time it took to get to 1C.

Funny thing is, I've never kept any notes on my roasts before and he's kept them for all of his. :D

Here's a picture of both of the roasted coffees:

IMG_1361.jpg
Mine is on the left, his on the right. Sweet Maria's reference card for comparison.

I thought the french press would be the best way to compare. I ground both coffees coarsely (40 on the Rancilio Rocky) and made a press pot of each coffee following the press pot brewing guide from Intelligentsia. I boiled enough water for both batches so that even with one press pot they were brewed only a few minutes after the another. I accidentally put a little too much water (845g instead of 800g) in mine (which i brewed first), so i did the same with his as well.

FYI: I am not normally this detail oriented with coffee brewing. It's usually a matter of a few scoops of beans and what looks like the right amount of water. I had never weighed the coffee or water for any brewing process.

Coffee brewing:
IMG_1358.jpg
(coffee cups chosen for functionality in comparison, not aesthetics)

With the coffees both poured into thermally insulated containers right after brewing, I tasted them side by side with their temperatures within a couple degrees of each other. Not surprisingly, they came out very similar in the cup. My batch comes across to me as lighter roasted. I noticed a bit more roast aroma when i was pouring his into the carafe, and I'd say that i smelled/tasted the same in the cup. With less roast flavor in mine, I'd say that I preferred it, but that said, if i wasn't tasting them side by side, I'm not sure that I could tell you the difference between them.

This is not quite what I had expected given that @HarborTownBrewing had concerns that his house wiring might not be getting enough power to the roaster and according to our notes I had roasted about 10 seconds longer than he did. There is a slight possibility that I switched the coffees after grinding them, but i rather doubt that I did.

IMG_1360.jpg
Again, mine on the left. This picture makes his look a little darker in the cup, but that's just the lighting. They looked identical.

Tomorrow morning, I think that I will make some espresso with them and compare that. Based on my experience so far with home roasted coffees, I am betting that if i can tell the difference, I will have a preference for his coffee over mine.

This was definitely a fun experiment. If anyone else wants to swap some home-roasted coffee in the future, I'd be interested! It might be fun to swap the same coffee roasted with a different roaster/process.

i have swapped roasts several times over the years.

it's always fun and can be really beneficial in learning to roast.

I'd be happy to trade a roast with you sometime, Dan - or anyone else here.

While were at it - Id love to include a bottle (or 2) of homebrew :)

Hey there, TallDan- that Sweet Maria's roast card is...sweet! I can't find it on their website though. Are they still available?

Jammin, what roaster are you using?

Nope, I ordered 6lbs or so of green beans before Christmas and didn't get one. :(

Maybe I'll e-mail them and see how I can get one, because I just think that's the bee's knees! Thanks!

Hey TallDan,
Thanks for the info and writeup. The spouse and I just did a blind taste test of our beans, and I have a few notes to share as well.

I also used two French presses to make the coffee, using 21 grams for 330 grams water.

They both finished at the same time so the water temps were comparable. While I wasnt looking my wife switched around the glasses which had stickers on the bottom of them with our names so we could later figure out which coffee was which.

I knew mine wasnt roasted as long as yours, so once the coffee cooled a bit I started to taste a more "roasty" flavor in one and I was pretty sure I then knew which was yours. Turns out I was right.

In TallDans, I got a very nice subtle bitterness with a little dark chocolate flavor. In mine, I got a little acidity and crisp flavor. This was a fantastic way to see how the two beans can produce pretty different results.

TallDan I'm wondering if your beans happened to get switched because I definitely tasted more roast flavor in yours. Just a thought, but who knows. Maybe you have enough left over to try again. I think I probably will as well with a Chemex.

Again, thanks for suggesting this - it was a lot of fun!

View attachment 1421615558905.jpg

Of note: In that picture above, that's Dan's on the left and mine on the right.

Also of note, Tall Dan, my wife says she likes your countertops in the one picture you posted :rockin:

^great stuff fellas. It really is wild how different the same beans can taste with different roasts.

It's good seeing people weigh out their coffee and water too. It's so easy and makes the coffee so much better

Hey there, TallDan- that Sweet Maria's roast card is...sweet! I can't find it on their website though. Are they still available?

Jammin, what roaster are you using?

They always have a postcard of some sort or another in an order, always something new every order. The roast card was a saver though, on the back side is a description of the toast levels. Just wish it tied the picture to the roast level. I believe in their website they do have roast levels pictures and described though.

They always have a postcard of some sort or another in an order, always something new every order. The roast card was a saver though, on the back side is a description of the toast levels. Just wish it tied the picture to the roast level. I believe in their website they do have roast levels pictures and described though.

Yeah, I thought it was a little odd that the pictures didn't come with any explanation, but yes, they're the same pictures that are on their website here: http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast

Hey TallDan,
TallDan I'm wondering if your beans happened to get switched because I definitely tasted more roast flavor in yours. Just a thought, but who knows. Maybe you have enough left over to try again. I think I probably will as well with a Chemex.

I must have. There was a point right after I ground both of them that I paused and thought I might have switched them, but thought i had them straight.

I made some espresso with each of them Sunday morning, but didn't do a very good job. Grind was too coarse and I got thin espresso. Made a second shot with your coffee ground finer and had a much better shot than either of them were before. After that I didn't have enough of either of them left to do anything, so i mixed them and used them in the drip brewer for yesterday's coffee.

I stopped by Intelligentsia for a cup. I have such a love-hate relationship with that place. The love: They usually have coffee for about $4 a glass, which I'm fine with every once in a while.

The hate? Their coffee is very good, but paying $20+++++ for 3/4 pound of their other coffee...that's just nuts.

Today they also had this Finca Colombian coffee for $9 A GLASS. Yes, $9 for 16 ounces of black coffee. I stuck to the $4 Rwanda offering which was, absolutely wonderful...especially for the price, I guess. So I see you can buy it on their website: $25 for 5.3 ounces of the coffee, so I guess you could get around 5 or 6 mugs worth out of it. http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/product/coffee/finca-santuario-collection

In hindsight though, I have paid $9 and up for a beer of similar size. Never for coffee though.

Roasted some decaf beans today. As expected (based on comments here) it roasted much faster than any of the regular beans I've roasted. It also seemed to me that the beans were a lot darker at the start and finish of first crack. Is that typical of decaf beans?

I'm thinking that i may have over roasted this batch, it seemed to go directly (and quickly) from first crack to second. Hopefully it will at least be drinkable, just a darker roast than i was shooting for.

Keep up on the dry burns every fifth batch and remember to give your coffee a chance to rest after roasting (but be sure to experiment with it right after roasting too, so you can see how it evolves - I no longer do this because it's a waste of coffee to me). Mine typically seems to hit its stride 4-5 days after roasting.

What do you mean by "dry burns"

Thanks...

TD

Howdy,

Well seems I've got another hobby, needed as much as another hole in the head...

Friend of mine posted some stuff on FB about coffee this week and I learned a few things. Thought I would share for feedback and check for B.S.

So he claimed that 15 days after roasting, that the coffee was basically stale - many of flavor compounds gone rancid, or evaporate, regardless of storage method, and that there is nothing you can do to stop that from happening. This was his most contentious statement. Has also said should brew withing 15 minutes of grinding, preferrably immediately after grinding. So other issues about brewing and coffee are discused, and stuff that most here seem to be in agreement upon. Mostly was wondering about that rule of 15's he claims.

I have been for several years been a "Peetnik", getting two pounds every two weeks to three weeks. SOmetimes I'd get stockpiled, or run out and have to adjust. I would say that mostly y coffee is less than 3 months since roasting, and usually within a 2-4 week period, occasionally younger. Been using a technivorm mocchamaster and Baratza Vario for 6-7 years or so. Had really been stuck on the Peet's Major Dickason's blend, until it changed subtly several years back and started to taste and smell like an ashtray. I complained but ended up changing my sub to a mix of coffees. I really enjoy the African and occasionally the Mocha Java coffees I've had from Peet's In a pinch I'd get starbucks but its not my favorite by a longshot.

SO... I bought some green beans and hauled out a 20 year old wedding gift today when beans came in mail (amazon). I "roasted" for about 5 minutes in my west bend poppery II popcorn popper. Noticed minimal smoke. heard some cracking a few minutes in but hard to hear over the roar of the popper. chaff everywhere! Couldn't resist and ground the beans for a cup in french press withing a few minutes of cooling. Very impressed with the smoothness, full flavor and lack of astringency or harsh bitterness. Not as roasty as I would expect. The roasting was not creating intense coffee smells either. I used about 7g:115ml coffee to water, 4 minutes.

So I roasted some more and planning to let it sit a bit longer (overnight) and try a pot in the AM - maybe roast more tomorrow. My "roaster" seems can only hit about 60-75g of coffee without being too packed. I'll attach a picture here in a bit from my phone. Fairly even. couple of quakers. Still somewhat lacking in aroma.

Couple of questions for the seasoned home roasting veterans.

once beans are cool to touch after roasting, what to do with them for proper storage?

Some beans still have bits of chaff - any concern with that?

Any comments on my roast pic - will be posted momentarily - appreciated. FYI these are supposed to be Ethiopian Sidamo beans. Seem to be fairly small and in my experience the ethopian beans are among the smallest I've seen.

Since I typically brew a 1L pot, that seems about 60-65g of coffee will be needed, I'll have to roast daily since my air roaster can't hold more than that. seems to be a drag. Probably be in the market for an electric automatic roaster soon.

TD

What do you mean by "dry burns"

Thanks...

TD

Welcome to the new hobby!

A "dry burn" is what Behmor refers to for a 1/4lb roast cycle with no coffee in order to burn all the oils up. I do it religiously every 5th batch, followed by a thorough wiping with Simple Green.

Here is a photo of second roast.

Looks like a nice even roast, although I normally go a little darker but I use my beans for espresso, sometimes a pour over.

The "rule" of 15 is about right from what I have seen it on other "coffee" forums, but can't remember exactly how it goes.

Something like green beans stale after 15 months, roasted coffee stale after 15 days, ground coffee stale after 15 minutes, and espresso stale after 15 seconds... If I recall correctly.

After I roast the beans and cool I put in a Ball jar or other air tight container but leave it cracked open until the next morning, then seal it. The coffee is going to degas for some time so you want to be able to allow that to happen.

I also use a popper and do enough batches on the weekend to last me the week, normally four batches will do it. I have three different poppers so I might let one cool down if I get to the next one too fast but seems like I mess around enough that the one popper isn't going to melt down if I use it for all four roasts.

I go into second crack with most all of my roasts, again most are being used for espresso, which is also the time into the roast that the bean will start get a shiny look to it or oily if you will. I'm pretty sure you're beans in the pic didn't get to second crack. You might want to do a batch into second crack and watch the beans as they change from what you have to the finish of second crack, or almost finished. As you know first crack is pretty easy to hear, second crack is pretty easy to hear once you hear it over the sound of the popper, you shouldn't have problems hearing it, is a "soft" sound but noticeable above the popper sound.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck.

Back