☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't stand the gold filters. Mutes the bright acids and muddles the bass notes IMO. I much prefer paper filters and only use the gold one in an emergency where I'm out of both filters and paper towels which is my normal backup plan. I'd be interested to hear if stirring makes a positive difference in the techno when paper filters are used.

Well, it's been many years since i've used a paper filter, maybe i should try it out tomorrow and see what I think. Do you pre-soak the paper filters at all?

Well, it's been many years since i've used a paper filter, maybe i should try it out tomorrow and see what I think. Do you pre-soak the paper filters at all?

Just read my post, sorry if that came across as me saying you using gold filters is wrong...whatever you like is right for you. I have always bought my filters at Costco until they stopped carrying them, I didn't want to pay $5 bucks for 40 of them at the grocery store so I started using the gold filter I had; but, after a few weeks it started making me think home roast isn't so great. I ordered more online from Amazon and once again realized how bright a city roast can be and knew the paper filters weren't where it is at for me. I have rinsed my paper filters as I have read it is the ideal thing to do. I can't tell the difference though, perhaps if I did a side by side maybe.

My coffee-olism (coffeeism? coffeeholism? Hmmm...coffee addiction!) is interfering with my work. Somehow I always manage to have coffee stained paperwork to send to our accounting team when I'm trying to make payments....

Tried something new just now: spicing my coffee.

I'm usually a purist, but I'm just in a crafty mood right now and Christmas has gotten the better of me. So I used a Vienna roast and added the following:
-1/4 tsp Cinnamon
-1/8 tsp Allspice
-1/8 tsp Clove

Put them all in the pour-over container, mixed it in with the coffee grinds, and poured in the water. It was a really nice golden-brown mixture when I added the water, and the resulting coffee is actually quite good. I think I'll try this again and cut back on the Allspice just a tad.

I was fortunate enough to snag 2lbs of the Kenya Embu Gakui Peaberry from Sweet Marias - it sold out super fast!

Peaberry's can be a giant PITA to roast due to their small screen size and spherical shape. They can take on heat in short order, especially heading into 1C (first crack) when they start expanding.

As you know, development around/post 1C is crucial to flavor profile.

My advice is to cut heat early and keep it slightly low moving through the finishing phase of the roast.

here is the curve from my last roast of this kenya PB - it turned out great and I'd use it again for sure
i6wbxd.jpg

I was fortunate enough to snag 2lbs of the Kenya Embu Gakui Peaberry from Sweet Marias - it sold out super fast!

Peaberry's can be a giant PITA to roast due to their small screen size and spherical shape. They can take on heat in short order, especially heading into 1C (first crack) when they start expanding.

My advice is to cut heat early and keep it slightly low moving through the finishing phase of the roast.

here is the curve from my last roast of this kenya PB - it turned out great and I'd use it again for sure
i6wbxd.jpg

What are ET and BT?

ET = environmental temp. this is the highest air temp that the beans are exposed to. in my roaster, this is the temp measured between the drum and the shell of the roaster. the air here is drawn into the drum, over the beans. this reading is useful in determining what kind of momentum the roast will have.

BT = bean temp. this is simply the average temp measured inside the bean mass

ET = environmental temp. this is the highest air temp that the beans are exposed to. in my roaster, this is the temp measured between the drum and the shell of the roaster. the air here is drawn into the drum, over the beans. this reading is useful in determining what kind of momentum the roast will have.

BT = bean temp. this is simply the average temp measured inside the bean mass

The BT goes down in the first minute there. Must be that the sensor was initially hot from the heating air but then cooled by the new beans?

before the roaster is charged, the bean temp sensor is reading the temp inside the drum. this temp is often referred to as "charge temp". a higher charge temp works well for Kenyan beans as it helps drive them through the drying phase quickly.

once the roaster is charged, the bean temp sensor and bean mass start to equalize. once this happens, you will see the bean temp start to go up. this is referred to as "the turn". in reality, the bean's temp is actually going up the instant they are dropped into the roaster.

so in a nutshell, at first, you are seing the temp of the bean probe being cooled down by the beans. once the bean temp goes up, the beans have become hotter than the bean probe.

Did a quick roast today as I running low, simple and tastes a heck of a lot better than anything found in a can, someday I might move up to a roaster but this will hold me over in the meantime.

IMG_5418.jpg

before the roaster is charged, the bean temp sensor is reading the temp inside the drum. this temp is often referred to as "charge temp". a higher charge temp works well for Kenyan beans as it helps drive them through the drying phase quickly.

once the roaster is charged, the bean temp sensor and bean mass start to equalize. once this happens, you will see the bean temp start to go up. this is referred to as "the turn". in reality, the bean's temp is actually going up the instant they are dropped into the roaster.

so in a nutshell, at first, you are seing the temp of the bean probe being cooled down by the beans. once the bean temp goes up, the beans have become hotter than the bean probe.

That's pretty neat stuff, man... what roaster and hardware/software? "Home-brew" stuff that you'd made, or is it something commercial?

Did a quick roast today as I running low, simple and tastes a heck of a lot better than anything found in a can, someday I might move up to a roaster but this will hold me over in the meantime.

Looks like you're getting the hang of roasting a bit more - the beans look more uniform than your first batches, and that's important.

Are you letting them rest for a few days before consumption? If not, you should reserve some and try unrested vs. rested - you will be enlightened to the fact that coffee can be "too fresh." :)

i6wbxd.jpg

Looks like you are a level 10 roast nerd. I'm only a 6. No graphs. I have a gene cafe and it's hard on the unit to cut the heat and dump the beans as the element wont get a proper cool down. So I have to do like you said, cut heat early and let the beans coast to finish.

Holy carp, look at these nutty guys and their homemade roasting machines. I just got a ton of great ideas! I'm definitely going to add a drum to my grill rotisserie.

http://legacy.sweetmarias.com/homemade-homeroasters.php

ive built several roasters and it's very rewarding.

if i were to build another, I'd do the stir/turbo crazy route. these roaster exceptionally well and allow for great instrumentation (bean probes etc). they also offer great control over the roast!

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

That's pretty neat stuff, man... what roaster and hardware/software? "Home-brew" stuff that you'd made, or is it something commercial?

the software is called "artisan" and is available for free on the web. great program.

my roaster is a quest M3 - they are available at coffee shrub

Looks like you're getting the hang of roasting a bit more - the beans look more uniform than your first batches, and that's important.

Are you letting them rest for a few days before consumption? If not, you should reserve some and try unrested vs. rested - you will be enlightened to the fact that coffee can be "too fresh." :)

I'm waiting at least a day usually more. Takes a few tries to get it down but I'm getting better with each attempt.
Now PP puts even more ideas in my head, I'll be looking through those homebuilts for a bit.

At one point I was going to build a roaster and automate the hell out of it, but then had a change of heart. As with brewing, it's something I like to do "manually." I am however, attempting to coax a friend into building one. :)

ive built several roasters and it's very rewarding.

if i were to build another, I'd do the stir/turbo crazy route. these roaster exceptionally well and allow for great instrumentation (bean probes etc). they also offer great control over the roast!

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

I'm using a Stir Crazy right now. I opened the back up and removed the temperature switch. It didn't get hot enough without this mod. Now it gets super hot. So far, I don't need the turbo oven on it.

Here's a quick vid I made when using it. I keep the top on once the cracking starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like Granma used to make.
View attachment 243136

I just made a pound on my back patio.

I've roasted in the kitchen, but man o man it makes quite a lot of odor and smoke right at the second crack. I don't mind the smell (love it in fact), but that's not the consensus in halls of Casa de Pawn.

I'm not making it indoors again. Same with brewing beer and grilling. I hope to have a coffee roasting attachment for my grill soon. Until then, it's my Stir Crazy contraption or the Whirlypop. Incidentally, after a bunch of testing, the Whirlypop works better. I just bought a new stainless steel one with a thick bottom that I haven't tested yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be great.

Roasting 4lbs at home today to give as Christmas gifts. Specifically chose today since the spouse is out of the house! She doesn't care for the smoke for some reason...

Hi PassedPawn, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts on the forum.

I thought it might be interesting to look at history. Granma was rocking some pretty good coffee even in the days before electricity came to the farm.

The pan I’m using is circa 1930 complete with heat ring. My sister has the grinder. It works about as well as my Maestro, though it’s a lot of work. It takes about ten minutes of cranking for a pot. Granma brewed with a teakettle and a saucepan, through a tea strainer.

Smoke is not a problem for me, I crack two windows a bit, no smoke build-up. It smells like coffee in my apartment for a couple of days, no big deal. If you’re used to a woodstove, like Granma was, you probably wouldn’t notice.

The roast I get is better than it looks in the picture, the flash exaggerated the contrast. The key is constant stirring.

Hi PassedPawn, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts on the forum.

I thought it might be interesting to look at history. Granma was rocking some pretty good coffee even in the days before electricity came to the farm.

The pan I’m using is circa 1930 complete with heat ring. My sister has the grinder. It works about as well as my Maestro, though it’s a lot of work. It takes about ten minutes of cranking for a pot. Granma brewed with a teakettle and a saucepan, through a tea strainer.

Smoke is not a problem for me, I crack two windows a bit, no smoke build-up. It smells like coffee in my apartment for a couple of days, no big deal. If you’re used to a woodstove, like Granma was, you probably wouldn’t notice.

The roast I get is better than it looks in the picture, the flash exaggerated the contrast. The key is constant stirring.

I loved your picture. It was my intent to mention it, but instead I went on about my own stuff. Just like me. Ugh.

Very cool pic! There's nothing more primal than frying coffee in a cast iron pan. I'm sure it's how it was done by our ancestors. Great work!

I'm using a Stir Crazy right now. I opened the back up and removed the temperature switch. It didn't get hot enough without this mod. Now it gets super hot. So far, I don't need the turbo oven on it.

Here's a quick vid I made when using it. I keep the top on once the cracking starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0h...e to hear your feedback if you give it a try!

So, apparently, 1/4 lb of coffee in the behmor doesn't produce enough smoke to set off the smoke alarm, but 1/2 lb does. Good Morning and Merry Christmas!

Between roasting coffee and cooking pizzas I took the downstairs smoke detector out. I really need to get one for that area that goes off due to heat and not particulate matter. I did 3 pounds over 6 consecutive batches this morning to make a blend for family. Kept a window open and chaff collector empty between each batch and the smoke kept down well enough. House had an amazing well caramelized sugar and roast coffee smell when we got home from visiting family.

Good morning-after-Christmas, @PassedPawn and friends. At the in-laws (who are quite elderly) and enjoying my second morning in a row waking up to a cup of Maxwell House Instant. I'm not a snob and generally like to respect people's individual taste choices, but this is a rough one. Best thing - they have a coffee maker because I gave them one a few Christmases ago. But they genuinely prefer the taste of instant coffee over the real stuff.

Heading home today, back to a nice cup of dark roast with some whole milk.

Visiting family is a rough one. I brought my Aeropress, grinder and my own coffee down so I didn't have to drink what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Visiting family is a rough one. I brought my Aeropress, grinder and my own coffee down so I didn't have to drink what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

😃 My mom begs me to bring The espresso machine when I come to visit. I also brought plenty of home roasted coffee for myself.

😃 My mom begs me to bring The espresso machine when I come to visit. I also brought plenty of home roasted coffee for myself.

Sounds like you know what to get her for her birthday!

My in-laws won't even use the Mr. Coffee I gave them a few years ago - why go to all that trouble when you can just stir in a teaspoonful of Maxwell House Instant?!?!?

My in-laws won't even use the Mr. Coffee I gave them a few years ago - why go to all that trouble when you can just stir in a teaspoonful of Maxwell House Instant?!?!?

If you're gonna do drip, the Bunn makers are really cool. Fastest drip coffee in the West (they cheat by preheating the water).

I got a Clever Dripper for Christmas. Looking forward to giving that a try tomorrow. I've got some home roast. I'll do a side-by-side with my french press.

When visiting with Scottish friends they asked if I wanted instant or drip coffee. I opted for drip...which was the same instant coffee just put into a drip coffee pot and "brewed" by it!

Ok, so maybe I need a burr grinder to tell a difference but I always prefer my cuisinart drip machine over my French press. Tried all different grinds and coffees but the French press always has too much sediment in the cup. Either that or I need remedial French press training.

I don't see the Indian Peaberry kick I've been on going away anytime soon either. I've gone through about 10 pounds now and it always hits all the right buttons. Used 1/2lb in a 5 gal batch of 12%abv RIS that also had cacao nibs soaked in bourbon and it was by far the best beer I've ever made.

a burr grinder is essential to good coffee.

extremely important in french press. you want a slightly coarse grind that is very consistent. blade grinders yield "dust and boulders" which makes a bitter and tart brew.

even a low end burr grinder makes terrible french press grounds.

it's a tough pill to swallow, but it costs a lot of money to get into a good coffee grinder. it's worth it though if you really want a proper cup.

I knew I never should have clicked on this thread. I have been roasting coffee off and on for about 10 years, but have not roasted much in the last couple. I just spent 20 minutes reading the thread and another 30 minutes on the net learning what the Behmor 1600 plus is. I CANT AFFORD TO RESTART ANOTHER HOBBIE!! :D

But I really like that roaster!

My same feeling.

I was reading all of this after recently getting into coffee and was looking for mostly ideas of some different coffees to try, but now......

My wife is a little pissy that I took up a large section of counter space in our somewhat smaller kitchen, but she is always asking me for coffee drinks now. I think I won the battle. Just until she sees what I have coming in the mail ;)

:) not really. I think I am only slightly better than Starbucks to her and that's only because I brew coffee in her house. She has no interest in brewing it herself.

edit: typos make all the difference

That's really funny. Hey at least you're as good as Starbucks to her ;)

Back