☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guat30 is code! I got 4 pounds of the most expensive 3. I remember now though that i had trouble roasting guats and i dont recall liking them. Hope these are better.

I can’t find a way to remove the cardboard aroma and flavor from the Santa Felisa Red Typica. Not sure if it’s my roasting or the product.

Harbor - given any thought to leaving options open to plumbing an espresso machine down the road?

I did think about it but ultimately decided against it. We have a decent amount of counter space, but my wife (and I) are both pretty content with my coffee equipment being in a separate counter just outside the kitchen. I've got it set up with my grinder, espresso machine, and kettle all right next to each other, which I like a lot. I would have to move all of that to the kitchen to justify plumbing it, and it would take up too much space.

I'll do it in the next house though ;)

My dad had a ro or some kind of expensive filter plumbed in. That would be awesome to have for brewing, cooking, and coffee. I thought about plumbing in my soda stream but dont have 20 g co2 tank space.

These are the guats i got. One is sold out now but it was 6.50. The colina i got 2 pounds of. Just picked by price. Hope they arent too bad or i will cry saving 15 dollars over konga.

Dang it
Screenshot_2018-05-02-17-44-55.png

Finished the rebuild tonight. I decided, even though it’s my bedtime, to test it. I have a leak coming from the group head. When heating up, and the piston is down, the water drips when the pressure hits around .5 bar.

The shot that I pulled was 15g of coffee. It definitely didn’t create crema like I’ve seen. This is possibly because my Handground grinder doesn’t grind fine enough or the gasket leak didnt give the pressure required. It still tasted good! It didn’t seem underextracred like I’ve tasted before.

The machine is clean and has some kinks to work out.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

I tore the group head apart. It seems like the inner head was bent a little and I likely allowed the piston to push out a c hair too far and the pressure took advantage of the weak spot. I tried to get the inner group into more of a perfect circle and put everything back together. No more leaks.

Now, on to getting a finer grind. [emoji16]

Well, went to roast some coffee the night before last and my heat gun was dead. That's what happens when you buy cheap tools... Bought a new one yesterday that I can fine tune the temps on better and knocked out a pound of Kenyan. Still learning the new gun and didn't realize I had the fan setting too low for the first half of the roast so this one went out about 13.5mins but the sample cup this am shows promise
20180507_191711.jpeg
20180507_193613.jpeg

Their coffee always looks impreasive. Brazils 30 percent off this week at bl.

Anyone know what bonavita model to get. There is like 10 different ones. The 1900 is on sale for 117, but the glass carafe one is only 86. If its the same its a no brainer for me, but i dont like hot plates.

A Mazzer Super Jolly was the 1st espresso grinder I ever had. A classic for sure that is impossible to wear out.

I think you’d be better off modding the doser rather replacing it with a funnel. Even though I have a Monolith Flat I still single dose on my K10PB. A quick google search on single dosing your grinder will be an eye opener.

If it turns out your grinder needs new burrs, I’d consider that a great excuse to upgrade to some Red Speeds from SSP. They can resharpen & add the coating if I’m not mistaken.

A Mazzer Super Jolly was the 1st espresso grinder I ever had. A classic for sure that is impossible to wear out.

I think you’d be better off modding the doser rather replacing it with a funnel. Even though I have a Monolith Flat I still single dose on my K10PB. A quick google search on single dosing your grinder will be an eye opener.

If it turns out your grinder needs new burrs, I’d consider that a great excuse to upgrade to some Red Speeds from SSP. They can resharpen & add the coating if I’m not mistaken.

He said that he replaced the burrs last year. I’ll see how they are when I pick it up and tear it down for a good cleaning.

I’ll check out more about the mod. I was thinking of purchasing manufactured components specifically for it from espressoparts.com. They have a plate, spout, and spout holder. It’s around $160 I think. I am paying $140 for the grinder so combined, I think it would be solid. Hopefully the bearings and other components are ok.

I noticed many taking the hopper off and using a tamper on top of a single serving of beans. What size is that?

$140 is a great price! Standard tampers are 58mm. I have some extra 6” acid brushes if you want one for brushing out the grinder throat.

$140 is a great price! Standard tampers are 58mm. I have some extra 6” acid brushes if you want one for brushing out the grinder throat.

So this is what I’m talking about. Is this a 58mm tamp?

IMG_0487.jpg

The postage would cost more than the brushes. [emoji23]

I tell you what, I’ve wanted to see if someone else can roast this guatemala that I have and not get that cardboard flavor. I tried a fast roast last week and still sense it. If you send me your address, I’ll send some roasted and some green beans that you can roast and tell me if I’m doing something wrong. At that point, you’ll have my return address to send a brush or two if you’d like. What do you say?

Very nice score there. I find myself looking for a deal on a mazzer every year or two. A super jolly was also the first burr grinder I had, unfortunately it was damaged in shipping and I sent it back for a refund.

Very nice score there. I find myself looking for a deal on a mazzer every year or two. A super jolly was also the first burr grinder I had, unfortunately it was damaged in shipping and I sent it back for a refund.

This thing has definitely had its share of bumps and bruises but I think I can clean it up and have a consistent grinder for a fraction of the cost. It’ll help me get some better shots from the La Pavoni as well.

This thing has definitely had its share of bumps and bruises but I think I can clean it up and have a consistent grinder for a fraction of the cost. It’ll help me get some better shots from the La Pavoni as well.
The one I had had it's share of bumps and bruises before it was shipped to me, but was supposedly in working condition. It was on ebay and the seller did not adequately pack it for shipping. When it arrived, the box was nearly destoyed. It had clearly been dropped from a decent height in such a way that the grinder landed upside down on top of the cord. The cord was severed in two and the adjustment would not budge because it was bent. I would have tried to fix it if the seller would agree to a partial refund, but they wanted me to either keep it or send it back to them for a full refund.

Now to go off and look at mazzer minis... ;)

And the tear down begins. Damn this thing is dirty.

View attachment 569745

View attachment 569746
It's dirty for sure, but the burrs still appear to be in good shape. Also, are you sure you want to go doserless? I was in the same boat as you a few years back, I went with a smaller hopper and doserless and after a few weeks put all the originals back together and haven't looked back since. Still to this day I measure out 19g of coffee beans and use the original hopper and doser and wouldn't change a thing.

It's dirty for sure, but the burrs still appear to be in good shape. Also, are you sure you want to go doserless? I was in the same boat as you a few years back, I went with a smaller hopper and doserless and after a few weeks put all the originals back together and haven't looked back since. Still to this day I measure out 19g of coffee beans and use the original hopper and doser and wouldn't change a thing.
Always seems like a doser would get in the way, but I've never used one.

I’ll add that the burrs still feel sharp, however, I’m looking at sending them out to SSP Grind Service. They do a sharpen and coating of existing burrs provided they have enough meat.

Thanks for the kind words. That was konga. I have been roasting it too dark lately and it has not had the fruit flavors, but still tastes like a quality cup of coffee. Glad to hear the blueberry is still in it and that you are enjoying it. This guat had some nice fruit notes and was solid. At the same price of the better Ethiopians you would have to really love the style I think to buy it.

@jimyson love the new gear and am jealous. I like how you dive right in and start cleaning up. 140 is a killer deal.

Last edited:

Are you wondering about why you have to adjust grind setting for single dosing vs. hopper fed? I haven't heard a definitive answer not that but it's certainly true. IIRC you always adjust finer for single dosing. It's a been a looonngggg time since Ive used a hopper for espresso but i do remember for sure that the grind setting changed going back & forth.

Some folks have said that using the hopper yields a better grind vs. single dosing. Years ago when I experimented with it I thought maybe there was something too that but it's just not worth it. Single dosing saves you a ton of coffee & makes things so much more simple in a home setting.

Are you wondering about why you have to adjust grind setting for single dosing vs. hopper fed? I haven't heard a definitive answer not that but it's certainly true. IIRC you always adjust finer for single dosing. It's a been a looonngggg time since Ive used a hopper for espresso but i do remember for sure that the grind setting changed going back & forth.

Some folks have said that using the hopper yields a better grind vs. single dosing. Years ago when I experimented with it I thought maybe there was something too that but it's just not worth it. Single dosing saves you a ton of coffee & makes things so much more simple in a home setting.

No, rather how the perceived mouthfeel and taste could be negatively impacted by a single dose in the grinder throat using a tamper as a lid. This is likely related to hopper vs no hopper and grind quality.

I’m thinking that this inferiority could be such a small impact to the normal drinker, under most circumstances, and by using a single dose the benefit of using less beans and beans not left in a hopper for days would be superior based on those factors.

It’s quite interesting to think about potential impact based on the weight on the beans going into the burrs and the freedom in which they can popcorn. So many factors in this game.

OK, I'm track'n now.

Single dosing in no way produces inferior coffee. That thread is from 2009 & the thoughts on that are completely outdated. I remember there being fierce debates about it though. During that time the TGP (Titan Grinder Project) ruled the land & it was thought that large conical grinders produced best espresso & folks stated that hopper feeding the grinder made better coffee. A key argument was that the grind size changed if you left the adjustment collar static & switched between single dosing & a full hopper. Folks came up with all kinds of wonky ways to make mini-hoppers to approximate the weight on the beans of a full commercial hopper and things just generally got a little weird. Google Titan Grinder Project & check out the multiple threads on it... ill see you in a few days when you come out the other end of the rabbit hole.

In any case, nobody subscribes to that anymore & single dosing is widely accepted the best method for the home barista. I will say the large conical still is considered to be an EXCELLENT espresso grinder. I pulled 2 shots today so far - 1 on my 75mm flat & the other on my 68mm conical. Both were single dosed & both were great!

Back