☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow the Silvia and Giggia are way out of my price range right now. Yes you all were not kidding that it is a rich man's hobby/pleasure.

@applescrap would you recommend the EC155 given your experience with it? It is substantially cheaper than any other espresso machine I see. I would probably only use it on the weekends and the occasional evening during the week. I am no barista or anything and when I do order an espresso it's usually a "Red Eye", so having an espresso machine at home I would probably drink the espresso as is more often than not. Given this, would spending the money on this unit be worth it or should I just hold off until I am ready to invest in something that is more expensive?

Thanks for all of your feedback guys!

I hate to suggest it, but. Ugh I'm struggling to type this. You could consider a Nespresso machine. !!??

I've seen a few used ones pop up here and there on FB marketplace I want to say they are well under $100. As far as consistency goes, it's going to be tough to beat it without spending quite a bit of time and money on a quality grinder and espresso machine. But you would be stuck with the pods. Some of them are bad, but some are actually pretty decent.

If you don't mind inconsistencies and want to use your own coffees, than a lower end espresso machine would be just fine.

Wow the Silvia and Giggia are way out of my price range right now. Yes you all were not kidding that it is a rich man's hobby/pleasure.

@applescrap would you recommend the EC155 given your experience with it? It is substantially cheaper than any other espresso machine I see. I would probably only use it on the weekends and the occasional evening during the week. I am no barista or anything and when I do order an espresso it's usually a "Red Eye", so having an espresso machine at home I would probably drink the espresso as is more often than not. Given this, would spending the money on this unit be worth it or should I just hold off until I am ready to invest in something that is more expensive?

Thanks for all of your feedback guys!
Haha, by expensive I meant 3k and up. [emoji2]

Didnt know that the silvia and classic were non ppf. They are sweet looking machines. I really like the rancilio, and need to keep my eyes out. Man we get some good deals that come through used around here when ice cream shops and coffee places that go out of business.

Hell yeah I recommend it, fully. I mean until you want to get a better machine. It would be interesting to see some blind triangle tests done with the same coffee, pulled by skilled Baristas on different machines. Especially after milk and sugar get involved. That doesn't mean that quality, ease-of-use, longevity, and all the other factors that make nice ones nicer dont exist, but having used this thing up to 12 times a week for well over a year now, I am pleased enough with it.

The first one wasn't the best and they sent me a new one and all I had to send them was the cord back. They are so cheap they don't repair them. I may very well have hurt that first one too or maybe it was a lemon, I don't know. Either way they sent me a brand new one and I have posted plenty of pictures here of shots that I have pulled. I quit using a timer as most shots come out around 30 seconds and they are dark and they are good. I know there's better but I can't wait for Saturday morning to drink some essresso. You can buy an aftermarket basket and I think that would help a lot. You have to cut the portafilter to make it fit. I removed all the pressurized fittings and use it. This voids the warranty but I don't care because if it lasts long enough I'll probably just get another and someday I'll probably upgrade anyways. if you buy one and upgrade you can put the old in your office. I have one in mine and should use it more often. Since I don't have a grinder at work I just use the pressurized filter option. I'll post some videos of people using them

When it comes to value, Breville really owns that part of the market. Their Infuser model @ less than $500 offers some pretty incredible performance. Pair it with a Baratza Sette 270 & you'd be hard pressed to get better espresso without a lot of experience, top tier coffee & several thousands of dollars more in equipment.

I bet one could get both pieces of equipment refurbished & shave a couple hundred dollars off retail as well. Last year Bed, Bath & Beyond had some weird coupon going and a lot of people bought the Breville Dual Boiler (aka BDB) for some ridiculous price. Id have to think an offer like that on the humble Infuser would pop if one were to keep an eye out.

Maybe I spoke too soon but I got an fantastic shot this morning. I think i haven't been grinding fine enough even though I thought I was. Not sure how to gauge my tamp without using a scale but hey whatever. I'm not selling my shots.

Maybe I spoke too soon but I got an fantastic shot this morning. I think i haven't been grinding fine enough even though I thought I was. Not sure how to gauge my tamp without using a scale but hey whatever. I'm not selling my shots.
I have one of these:
http://espro.ca/tamper/
I used it for years, and just recently switched back to a normal tamper. The idea being that I've developed a good feel for the proper tamping pressure from years of use, and can now do it by muscle memory. I'm not sure it's working, I may switch back to the espro.

I don't think I am applying 30 lb of pressure. The ratio between Tamp and grind and amount of coffee are all in play with my cheap machine. Way over fill the coffee and Tamp too hard and it will choke the machine. Too little coffee and not enough Tamp will run too quick. I fill my pf to the top where it's leveled out maybe a little more. This is after banging it down a few times as I'm filling it. So I fill and smack it. Then I pack the coffee by feel but know that I can't overdo it or it won't work. Today's first shots got a little under packed and came out in 26 seconds and also got a little longo because I was taking pictures. A nice dark copper color on top.
20180310_083138.jpg
20180310_083016.jpg
20180310_083019.jpg
20180310_083024.jpg
20180310_083030.jpg

Shot two and the puck. In the top of the puck it looks like there's a hole but I think I poked it with something. I sense there is some tunneling.

20180310_100725.jpg
20180310_100744.jpg
20180310_100811.jpg
20180310_094729.jpg

@HarborTownBrewing and @jammin, what espresso machines do you use? I’m curious about espresso machines but I am in no place to drop a lot of money on one. But if I could find a great deal on one well that may be a different story. Thanks guys!

If you don't already have an espresso machine I would suggest a used low end model preferably from the thrift store. I picked up a Krups XP 4000 for $8. The other day I saw the ec-155 for $25 - didn't even look used. I've been using my Krups for about 1 year and can get some really decent shots from it. Roasting my own beans has really upped my game. I'm liking espresso so much I've quit using my aeropress.

This is just a cheap solution to get you drinking and roasting for espresso while you save your pennies for the high end stuff.

And how did I never know this thread existed!! ??
I roast with a Hot Top, Grind with a Baratza Forte, and Brew with a Rocket 58. We have a Nespresso Pixie that we travel with. (Hey we live in Seattle) Cold brew with both immersion and drip. Looking fwd to Pico’s new cold brew addition when it comes out.
A couple of thoughts likely already covered:
Grind and tamp. Use your hop scale to measure out 20g of coffee into the portafilter. Use a Similar scale to measure 30lb of tamp. In the end look for 25 seconds or so of shot once the liquid appears.
To really perfect this you need a bottomless portafilter to practice. Trust me your first several attempts will not look like this. Don’t wear a good shirt and have a towel at the ready
Cost: way different than brewing beer. This actually SAVES you money AND the product is better. Machines are not as expensive as they appear. An ROI of two years is excellent 1 year is a no brainer. Take your weekly Starbucks cost and multiply by 52. Similar for the roaster. With shipping beans are say $7 per pound. I expect your local shop is twice that per lb (not per bag). AND your fresh roasted coffee will be orgasmic compared to what you buy. But most of all it is a crazy fun hobby like brewing.
Yum

Last edited:
Welcome @Anyhowe. Lots of good coffee is roasted/brewed in the Seattle area. SCAA is next month over there. Been wanting to go for years. The vendors sell the demo gear on Sunday for crazy deals because they don’t want to ship it back home.

Does your Forte have the steel or ceramic burrs?

Welcome @Anyhowe. Lots of good coffee is roasted/brewed in the Seattle area. SCAA is next month over there. Been wanting to go for years. The vendors sell the demo gear on Sunday for crazy deals because they don’t want to ship it back home.

Does your Forte have the steel or ceramic burrs?
I have both. Usually stick with the ceramic after some back and forth. SCAA, will have to check that out. Thanks!

Someone I know is really into coffee and they buy expensive beans and run them through a 20 year old blade grinder and a Mr. Coffee. I kept telling the guy he needs to get a FP or cone, so finally I offered him a Melitta I remembered I wasn't using.

One thing leads to another, and now he's planning to get a burr grinder and the Behmor brewer. Sort of feel bad for getting the guy hooked on something leading to $200 in upgrades...BUT he did tell me the cone made the best coffee he'd made at home.

No duh! I kept telling him. I don't understand spending $15+ a week on coffee and not brewing it to it's potential. It's like drinking a stout from a chilled mug. :eek:

When I got my 2nd Behmor it came with 8 pounds of assorted beans.I roasted and drank the ones I was familiar with, the 3 "weird" ones got shoved to the back of the cabinet and forgotten. So when I realized I was out of Honduran beans last week I pulled out and roasted the pound of Indian Balanoor Estate peaberry. It's suddenly my favorite coffee ever. I still have a pound of Ethiopian and Borundi Buzi....Washing Station to try next.

Someone I know is really into coffee and they buy expensive beans and run them through a 20 year old blade grinder and a Mr. Coffee. I kept telling the guy he needs to get a FP or cone, so finally I offered him a Melitta I remembered I wasn't using.

One thing leads to another, and now he's planning to get a burr grinder and the Behmor brewer. Sort of feel bad for getting the guy hooked on something leading to $200 in upgrades...BUT he did tell me the cone made the best coffee he'd made at home.

No duh! I kept telling him. I don't understand spending $15+ a week on coffee and not brewing it to it's potential. It's like drinking a stout from a chilled mug. :eek:
We've used Melita cones almost exclusively for the past 36 years. We usually only drink one or 2 cups per day each, and my wife likes hers much stronger since she ruins it with cream and sugar, so brewing a pot with any kind of machine makes no sense for us.

Lot to think about. Led me to this blind taste test where chemex won. Not surprised he liked it too. I need one of those, iirc not overly expensive either. I think some advantages of the burr grinder are convenience and the ability to dial in espresso, pour over, french press and cold brew grinds. The coffee quality and type itself strongly correlating to flavor.

http://refrigerators.reviewed.com/features/the-ultimate-coffee-brewer-blind-taste-test

Lot to think about. Led me to this blind taste test where chemex won. Not surprised he liked it too. I need one of those, iirc not overly expensive either.

I used to use a French Press every day, then I got a Chemex and my life changed. Then I got the Able Kone to use in my Chemex and my life changed again.

I don't know if it can get any better, honestly.

I had mentioned my espresso struggles last week. This morning I thought I'd give it a try again. This time I ran the grinder fine enough to shave a little off the burrs ;) Also did a nice solid tamp, which I'm sure was over 30 pounds.

This combo definitely did the trick...a little too much. The machine started with a very slow dribble, then eventually a needle sized stream started coming down. I quit timing it but I'd guess it was around 60+ seconds for the shot to turn blonde. This is probably not great for the pump.

Anyways, I think I haven't been grinding fine enough. Today was the first time I got a nice clumpy powder, so if I back off my tamp a bit but keep it even I think it should get me in the ballpark of where it should be. I wasn't sure the shot today would be any good but it was one of the smoother, more well rounded shots I have gotten out of my machine.

I saw the email. I didn’t look too closely b/c I still have almost 15lbs of green beans currently.

Now I need to replace my drip coffee maker. I’m on the fence between the Bonavita or a BUNN coffee maker. Both are SCA certified (I believe) and have decent reviews. I’m leaning towards the BUNN b/c it’s a 10 cup vs. 8 cup and the price is roughly the same.

Bonavita Link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9FO1HK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dwEQAbCF8RJKJ

BUNN Link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FFRYYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OIEQAbKZSXMW2

Any thoughts, suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and cheers!

Ooookay, so recently I had mentioned how I am adding bourbon to green beans for a week, then roasting them. I absolutely love the result as a pour over, and had considered doing it as espresso, but was a little afraid. The flavors as a pour over are incredibly strong as is, so I was a little nervous how strong the flavors would be as an espresso.

But today I woke up feeling adventurous (and in no hurry to get to work) so I decided to pull a shot of this Bourbon Brazil roast. I used slightly less coffee today than I did yesterday (when my shot was 60 sec) and I tamped a tad bit less hard. I got a very beautiful 25 second pull this time.

The taste was absolutely incredible. Unbelievable. One of the best shots I have ever had at home, and one of the best I have had period. So much caramel, vanilla, and wood. Sweet, with robust body.

Highly recommend to anyone who likes bourbon. Typically I don't like alcohol flavored things (chocolates, meats, cakes, etc) but this is exceptional. The ratio I've been using is 1/2 tbsp of bourbon for every 8 oz of green beans. I rest the beans on the bourbon for 7 days in a sealed mason jar, turning and shaking it occasionally. I've found the bourbon quality doesn't affect flavor; the bean quality does though.

Last edited:
Ooookay, so recently I had mentioned how I am adding bourbon to green beans for a week, then roasting them. I absolutely love the result as a pour over, and had considered doing it as espresso, but was a little afraid. The flavors as a pour over are incredibly strong as is, so I was a little nervous how strong the flavors would be as an espresso.

But today I woke up feeling adventurous (and in no hurry to get to work) so I decided to pull a shot of this Bourbon Brazil roast. I used slightly less coffee today than I did yesterday (when my shot was 60 sec) and I tamped a tad bit less hard. I got a very beautiful 25 second pull this time.

The taste was absolutely incredible. Unbelievable. One of the best shots I have ever had at home, and one of the best I have had period. So much caramel, vanilla, and wood. Sweet, with robust body.

Highly recommend to anyone who likes bourbon. Typically I don't like alcohol flavored things (chocolates, meats, cakes, etc) but this is exceptional. The ratio I've been using is 1 tbsp of bourbon for every 8 oz of green beans. I rest the beans on the bourbon for 7 days in a sealed mason jar, turning and shaking it occasionally. I've found the bourbon quality doesn't affect flavor; the bean quality does though.
Do the beans soak up the bourbon or is there still residual liquid going into the roaster? I love good bourbon, I love good coffee so this sounds like a win/win.

@HarborTownBrewing I have been meaning to try this. I need to pick up some bourbon for a Barleywine I will be brewing in a couple of months. I forgot to add some Brazilian beans to my last order from Sweet Maria's, so I will have to try this with one of the other beans I have on hand. Maybe their Monkey blend since it sounded interesting to try.

On a side note, I ordered a Bonavita BV1900TS coffee maker this morning. My current coffee maker is on it's last leg after 5+ years of use.

Do the beans soak up the bourbon or is there still residual liquid going into the roaster? I love good bourbon, I love good coffee so this sounds like a win/win.

With that ratio I listed, and using beans from Colombia and Brazil over 7 days, they have soaked up just about everything and there is nothing residual on the outside of the bean. It definitely smells like bourbon when roasting it though...I'm guessing it's evaporating a bit and being exhausted out, but I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about.

Now that I think of it, I do wonder if the outsides would scorch at all in a whirlypop or something similar. Hard to say.

Also, I did try it with a bunch of different bourbons but I've settled on Trader Joe's brand because it's $15 and when I did a blind test between TJ's bourbon and Makers 46 you couldn't tell a difference despite the Makers being 2.5x the price of TJs. I did use lower quality Brazil beans once and they didn't do the roast any justice. I think you have to use a better bean.

Last warning: Maybe store the roasted beans in a bag you plan to dedicate to bourbon beans. They do leave a very strong aroma in the bag or container. I stored some Ethiopian beans in one of the bags I previously used for bourbon beans and the Ethiopians definitely picked up a lot of bourbon flavor...just from the bag! It was actually a very good coffee too.

I felt the Kenyan was losing some flavors so I switched from the aeropress to the pourover today to see if maybe the preparation was the problem. I think I may have not been doing it justice in the aeropress. Waiting for the cup to cool a little more, but I'm definitely getting more out of it this way.

I have a magical grinder.

I weigh beans before grinding and then again after.

There is always more weight after grinding than before.

Eventually the machine will pay for itself!

Latest posts

Back