☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^great video. I have watched it 3 or 4 times, but its been a while. haha I hurt my teeth trying to crunch on beans.

Thank you all for the feedback and helpful insight! I'm excited to jump into roasting coffee! The roaster and some beans arrive tomorrow, so I hope I can get through the manual and get roasting. I will keep you all posted next week as to how things go with it. Thanks again everyone and cheers!

Interesting video. This is the stuff I like - lots of information that I may or may not be ready to fully grasp yet, but after some repetition, it sinks in.

Oh, and this guy lives about 15 minutes away from me!

That is a pretty good video. Key is in the being consistent!! I had to watch it several times thru out my journey in roasting to help me absorb it!! I'll probably watch it several more...

Hey team...I’m getting more chocolate than blueberry with this profile. What would you do differently to get more acidity and blueberry notes? This is on a Behmor 1600+.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a great coffee like this, but want to get it brighter with more blueberry notes.

My drop to P3 the back to P5 is to keep the Behmor from overheating.

IMG_0685.jpg

I forgot about the acid vs time. I keep it in mind. If you roast really hot and quick and have a light roast, I agree it will be very acidic. This happened to me on the Kenyan I gave as a Christmas gift last year.

@jimyson - great job with your notes.

The Behmor’s radiant heat is quite gentle and I’ve found (in my limited experience) that it can get away with longer roasts. If you want to bring out more berry flavor, you’re gonna need to flog that coffee a bit harder though and get to 1C in less than 10 minutes. The more time it spends in the roasters after that the softer the acidity is going to get.

I’m not familiar with the Behmor settings, but if it were me I’d go full blast until you suspected 1C (first crack) was about a minute out. Then cut heat to low and pull the roast after 1C has been officially popping for a solid minute. I used to have good luck with an 8oz roast and cracking the door to slow 1C.
Cooling the roast quickly once complete is also important. The Behmor’s cooling cycle isn’t sufficient to properly do this. Fortunately us home brewers are great coming up with solutions for simple things like that :mug:

@jimyson - great job with your notes.

The Behmor’s radiant is quite gentle and I’ve found (in my limited experience) that it can get away with longer roasts. If you want to bring out more berry flavor, you’re gonna need to flog that coffee a bit harder though and get to 1C in less than 10 minutes. The more time it spends in the roasters after that the softer the acidity is going to get.

I’m not familiar with the Behmor settings, but if it were me I’d go full blast until you suspected 1C (first crack) was about a minute out. Then cut heat to low and pull the roast after 1C has been officially popping for a solid minute. I used to have good luck with an 8oz roast and cracking the door to slow 1C.
Cooling the roast quickly once complete is also important. The Behmor’s cooling cycle isn’t sufficient to properly do this. Fortunately us home brewers are great coming up with solutions for simple things like that :mug:

Seems like then that my first step would be to decrease batch size. BOOO!

I have it as fast as possible without Getting an overheat error and shutting the machine down. At first crack, I drop it. I finish first crack though. Are you saying to stop before it’s done?

For cooling, I open the door, pull the chaff tray, and have a fan blowing straight in. That should do the trick.

So back to my possible changes...decrease batch size (boo) and drop before fc ends. Am I on the right track for the next trial? I have 25 lbs of this wonderful bean. [emoji3]. I could easily drink it as-is, just trying to get the art down.

I've upgraded to a new roaster and I'm selling the Behmor. It's a 1600 Plus that I bought a year ago from Roastmasters. I would say about 20 roasts on it. This isn't a for sale thread so please pm me if you're interested. I'm thinking 130+shipping from 01863. Shipping will probably run 30-60 depending on location.

IMG_20171202_195302.jpg
IMG_20171202_195219.jpg

I've upgraded to a new roaster and I'm selling the Behmor. It's a 1600 Plus that I bought a year ago from Roastmasters. I would say about 20 roasts on it. This isn't a for sale thread so please pm me if you're interested. I'm thinking 130+shipping from 01863. Shipping will probably run 30-60 depending on location.

View attachment 548336View attachment 548337

What have you upgraded to?

Sigh...

IMG_20171118_142511.jpg

The Behmor is a great machine but it wasn't for me sadly. I need to roast 1lb at a time and the Behmor is not the machine for that. I think the Behmor really shines with 8oz roasts and if that's all I was doing I would stick with it.

Behmor is advertised as a one pound machine, but really it shines under 12oz. Which is a big capacity for under $2k.

I don't understand the need to roast one pound on it though. The control of the roast just won't be there at that weight. With a longer preheat and decent wall voltage I've taken 1 pound to 2c, but the flavor will be mediocre.

Regardless, i would respectfully suggest that with only 20 roasts on that machine, you haven't done enough roasts to see if it can do 1 pound. Also, judging from how dirty it is inside, that will impact how effectively it will heat and how quickly it pushes the roast. When those sensors aren't clean, the machine doesn't work great.

Just some thoughts to save you some money instead of getting rid of it. It probably took me 40 to 50 roasts before I really started to understand the roaster and how to get the most flavor out of it.

Sigh...

View attachment 548340

The Behmor is a great machine but it wasn't for me sadly. I need to roast 1lb at a time and the Behmor is not the machine for that. I think the Behmor really shines with 8oz roasts and if that's all I was doing I would stick with it.

Please forgive me, but I have no idea what that is in your picture.

To add to my post, a couple ways to really speed through a roast with higher weights would be a long preheat (2.5 mins) and not inserting the chaff tray for the roast which makes a HUGE difference. Keep the roaster on P5 manual, which is 100 percent power. If needed, put a piece of wood on the front legs to make the beans roll closer to the heat lamps.

To add to my post, a couple ways to really speed through a roast with higher weights would be a long preheat (2.5 mins) and not inserting the chaff tray for the roast which makes a HUGE difference. Keep the roaster on P5 manual, which is 100 percent power. If needed, put a piece of wood on the front legs to make the beans roll closer to the heat lamps.

Man, no chaff tray on that Dumerso would be a damn mess, and a fire hazard for that matter.

Behmor is advertised as a one pound machine, but really it shines under 12oz. Which is a big capacity for under $2k.

I don't understand the need to roast one pound on it though. The control of the roast just won't be there at that weight. With a longer preheat and decent wall voltage I've taken 1 pound to 2c, but the flavor will be mediocre.

Regardless, i would respectfully suggest that with only 20 roasts on that machine, you haven't done enough roasts to see if it can do 1 pound. Also, judging from how dirty it is inside, that will impact how effectively it will heat and how quickly it pushes the roast. When those sensors aren't clean, the machine doesn't work great.

Just some thoughts to save you some money instead of getting rid of it. It probably took me 40 to 50 roasts before I really started to understand the roaster and how to get the most flavor out of it.
I was getting 1c at 18 mins regardless of what I did. Preheating, manual mode, I tried all the tricks. The sensors are clean. I really think this is a great machine, just not for trying to push the charger weight to the max 1lb, just not enough power imo.

The corretto roaster gets me to 1c in under 10 mins for a 1lb roast with power to spare. With a thermocouple in the chamber I get bean temp and have a decent shot of producing a consistent roast.

I was getting 1c at 18 mins regardless of what I did. Preheating, manual mode, I tried all the tricks. The sensors are clean. I really think this is a great machine, just not for trying to push the charger weight to the max 1lb, just not enough power imo.

The corretto roaster gets me to 1c in under 10 mins for a 1lb roast with power to spare. With a thermocouple in the chamber I get bean temp and have a decent shot of producing a consistent roast.

That’s quite a difference from what I’m getting to fc. I’m in the 12:00-16:00 with 16 oz of beans.

I bet a good clean would go a long way on that machine.

And no chaff tray. If you have a vacuum, it's not a big deal to clean up after the roast. Just don't open the door until it's stopped!

And no chaff tray. If you have a vacuum, it's not a big deal to clean up after the roast. Just don't open the door until it's stopped!
I haven't heard that one! I could see how that would help.

Anyway I am a 1lb roaster and the Behmor is not the machine for that imo. Yes you can roast 1lb, but I can't control the roast curve to the degree I would like. Line voltage variations, ambient temperature ect all control your ability to do so with the Behmor and I'm not saying you are not getting good results. But I'm not.

With the corretto, I feel like I can do that and I like the results I taste in the cup so that's what I'm going with. Just thought I would throw my machine up here first for what I think is a good price for someone looking to get into coffee roasting. Cheers everyone!

The FreshRoast 500SR arrived today with some beans. Two pounds from Brazil and two pounds from Guatemala. Based on the description from the bag my wife asked I roast some of the beans from Guatemala, so I did of course.

I measured out 100 grams of green beans and roasted them three times. After they were done roasting them, I weigh them again and they about 88 grams. They smell great after roasting them.

I wish I could brew some tomorrow , but I know it too early. Thanks again to everyone for your help, input & suggestions !!

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

@HTB - Pretty cool trick about pulling the Behmor’s chaff tray - never heard of that. I’d like to hear more about how it works and what you’ve experienced. Also good trick on tipping the bean mass back towards the elements. Good stuff.

@psu - looking forward to hearing about your roasts on the HG/BM. I’ve built a couple of those myself and enjoyed some great coffee from them. Were you able to “hack” yours and wire it for continuous stir? Sounds like you’ve probably done some research about them.

I wish I could brew some tomorrow , but I know it too early. Thanks again to everyone for your help, input & suggestions !!
You absolutely CAN brew some today. On a few occasions, I've brewed coffee right after roasting. It's always better after a few days, so don't brew it all now, and don't judge it based on an overnight rest, but if you're anxious to try it, go for it.

You absolutely CAN brew some today. On a few occasions, I've brewed coffee right after roasting. It's always better after a few days, so don't brew it all now, and don't judge it based on an overnight rest, but if you're anxious to try it, go for it.

Thanks Dan! I also spoke with @Ruint this morning and he said the same thing. It was a hit with my wife and the in laws. It was funny that my wife and her mom thought it was strong but my father in law and I didn’t think so.

Anyhow thanks again everyone and I look forward to roasting more and getting more beans to try. I think I’ll order the 4lbs sampler pack from Sweet Maria’s next with maybe an additional pound or two when I place the order.

I can’t wait to see where this new rabbit hole takes me!! Cheers!

The sampler is a good idea in theory but not so much in practice IMHO. As a beginner, it’s tough to “nail” your roasts.
Consistency is something you should strive for. It might not be as fun, but you’d be much better off to get 10lbs of 1 bean. You’ll have good roasts and not so good, but it will allow to taste the difference in what your roast does vs the different types of beans.
Furthermore, sampler packs usually never have the best beans. You get a all the mediocre stuff that’s generally been sitting around the warehouse for a while.

The sampler is a good idea in theory but not so much in practice IMHO. As a beginner, it’s tough to “nail” your roasts.
Consistency is something you should strive for. It might not be as fun, but you’d be much better off to get 10lbs of 1 bean. You’ll have good roasts and not so good, but it will allow to taste the difference in what your roast does vs the different types of beans.
Furthermore, sampler packs usually never have the best beans. You get a all the mediocre stuff that’s generally been sitting around the warehouse for a while.
I'd say they are good for beginners for those reasons. You'll roast 10 pounds just getting the processes down, so even if you use the same beans they won't be consistent. Sure, they'll all be hit and miss and you won't understand why, but you'll have that with the first 10 pounds anyway, and until you get the process down you won't have a chance of anything different. Plus it's fun to try a bunch of different coffees.

Furthermore, samplers never have the best beans, and tend to be priced well, so you get a bunch of mediocre stuff to try at a low price with your first mediocre roasts.

:D
:coff3:

I have gotten some decent coffee from the sweet maria's samplers, they try to give a variety of coffee from around the world so there is usually a Ethiopian or Kenyan in the mix and it is what is in their standard offerings. They also have pretty high standards so even the mediocre stuff is pretty good.

View attachment 548336View attachment 548337
PM sent

Thanks @jammin and @TallDan! That’s a good point. Get several pounds of one variety and try different roasts, take good notes and then dial in the consistency. Maybe the sampler pack would be good afterwards to try a variety of different beans from different locations.
Any suggestions on a good Bean that’s decently priced to buy say 10lbs of? I know everyone’s tastes are different but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again everyone!!!

Back