☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking a guat that i roasted two days ago. Brewed with the chemex. It smells and tastes like cooked green pepper.

Over-extracted? Under-roasted? Not enough rest?

Drinking a guat that i roasted two days ago. Brewed with the chemex. It smells and tastes like cooked green pepper.

Over-extracted? Under-roasted? Not enough rest?

Did you roast it slow or fast? My opinions with guats are they should be hit hard with heat. Maybe the roast was too slow?

Didnt even bargain, saw 125 as ok deal. He said he put in the newer gearbox, paddle, and burrs. Said he put burrs in for grind issues, but actual issue was frame crack, which he replaced. Here it is. It feels heavy and strong. I've already taken it apart as it's really easy. Snapped the cover off with four little tabs and then the junk is right under it. Motor, and a secondary calibration system (he set on finest) and just a couple screws. Here's some pictures of the grind definitely goes pretty fine to drip with skill. Super stoked, im going to screw around with depressurizing portafilter. Swore I wouldn't jump in the espresso game but as people upgrade they are dumping their midline non pressurised machines by the dozens. The coffee is the light roasted yirgacheffe.

View attachment 1487991755859.jpg

View attachment 1487991764451.jpg

View attachment 1487991773530.jpg

Its a virtuoso. I love the convenience sooo much. I cant believe I waited so long. Ya dont know what ya dont know. The hopper rocks back and forth a little as it grinds. I hope that is normal?!
Yeah not jumping in the espresso game, right. Got a grinder and next morning depressurized the filter and got to work humbling myself. Shots went like this...To fine machine clogged, less fine good tamp best shots, to weak a tamp and now to coarse (yuck), finer but bad tamp-sour, (now had to much and am dizzy), wait wth maybe pressurized was better-good shot but watery (at least it was good), back to non pressurized - grind more dialed in but tamp a little off.

It is plain to see my skills suck, a cheap depressurized machine is tricky, and the grinder is awesome but seems apparent that a more dedicated espresso grinder is needed if I want to get serious. Seems weird step 4 is too fine sometimes and to coarse others, but hard to tell with beginning tamping skills.

I have seen videos where people cut the bottom black plastic and nipples off to make bottom naked. Would that help flavor? Wondering if pressurized is best with this cheap machine but shots do seem better. Any tips not including the obvious need for better machine.

On roasting front took 1# kenyan in cold weather and dialed heat back to 4 of 6 bars right before 1c. Hit 1c at 10min as normal and dropped to 1 bar but didnt hear 1c developing and starting. Figured it was stalling and put heat back on full. Dindnt really start cracking till 13 min or so and finished 1min 30 sec after that. Was hoping for a darker roast. Still light enough but I don't think I developed it right. I wonder if the cold stalled it? Well thats it for my latest trials and tribulations.

View attachment 1488260054806.jpg

I was at Blue Bottle in La over the weekend. I was pretty excited to try it and got a pour-over, but it really it was nothing special. It was good, but I've had much better.

Today I stop by Ferris coffee in Grand Rapids Michigan, and had a pour-over Kenya and it was pretty good. Well-rounded had a nice bit of flavor. Not a lot of acidity that you would expect out of a Kenyan, so I think they roasted it a tad darker than I usually do, but still pretty good and nice body.

Always interesting to try new coffee whenever possible, and see how your own stuff compares to the professionals. Especially when you know they are serving fresh beans. At Ferris coffee I had a chance to get a good look at some of their notes, and saw where they grind the Beans differently based on its origin, despite being brewed the same method. They also posted expected brew time this for each Bean. I am impressed at how seriously they take it considering they hadn't been that big of an operation until more recently.

I was at Blue Bottle in La over the weekend. I was pretty excited to try it and got a pour-over, but it really it was nothing special. It was good, but I've had much better.

Today I stop by Ferris coffee in Grand Rapids Michigan, and had a pour-over Kenya and it was pretty good. Well-rounded had a nice bit of flavor. Not a lot of acidity that you would expect out of a Kenyan, so I think they roasted it a tad darker than I usually do, but still pretty good and nice body.

Always interesting to try new coffee whenever possible, and see how your own stuff compares to the professionals. Especially when you know they are serving fresh beans. At Ferris coffee I had a chance to get a good look at some of their notes, and saw where they grind the Beans differently based on its origin, despite being brewed the same method. They also posted expected brew time this for each Bean. I am impressed at how seriously they take it considering they hadn't been that big of an operation until more recently.

too bad about BB - i've always heard they were top tier and wanted to try them.

one thing i like to do at "destination" places weather it's restaurants, breweries or coffee houses; i like to order multiple things even if I'm not that hungry or need the extra drink. It's simply just to taste a variety of good stuff.

Short story; my best friend and I went to Cabo San Lucas during our leave from Iraq. For our biggest night out, we went to the most famous restaurant in Cabo, Mi Casa. My friend ordered an app & 2 main courses! At the time I thought "what the heck". It was a bit expensive and he didn't even eat all the food. He later explained it was about getting a broader more memorable experience. To this day I look back on it and wish I would have done the same. The food was superb and like nothing you can get stateside. I shorted myself on a bit of life experience over a measly $20.

Anyways - something to think about. Next time order 2 different cups of pour over & a shot - throw half of it away but enjoy it all!

Lurked...got a Whirley Pop...now have a handful of roasts under my belt. Already far better than anything I ever get at the store. I'm working on the darker end of the spectrum with nothing-special green beans as I learn and retrain my palate to appreciate a broader spectrum of roasts. Mexican Chiapas pictured below. Thanks all for your contributions to this thread, very helpful stuff here, even for those of us at the low/beginner end of things.

IMG_1894.jpg

Lurked...got a Whirley Pop...now have a handful of roasts under my belt. Already far better than anything I ever get at the store. I'm working on the darker end of the spectrum with nothing-special green beans as I learn and retrain my palate to appreciate a broader spectrum of roasts. Mexican Chiapas pictured below. Thanks all for your contributions to this thread, very helpful stuff here, even for those of us at the low/beginner end of things.

Nice butt cracks!

Not sure if anyone posted this before, but I thought I would offer it. I roast using a Behmor, and I have found that the best way to remove the chaff is to hold the basket with the roasted beans in one hand and blow it with an electric garden blower (on low) in the other. The movement of the beans in the air column strips them of any remaining chaff. I do it outside of course.

looks great! have you considered adding the longest, cheapest extension cord you can get to slow down your popper? i hear it's a great addition

I use my electric leaf blower set on high inside a cardboard with a hole on top for a strainer as a bean cooler. The bean are cool enough to touch in seconds, really locks in a roast.

Not sure if anyone posted this before, but I thought I would offer it. I roast using a Behmor, and I have found that the best way to remove the chaff is to hold the basket with the roasted beans in one hand and blow it with an electric garden blower (on low) in the other. The movement of the beans in the air column strips them of any remaining chaff. I do it outside of course.

I just go outside and shake the crap out of it.

Same, i use two collanders one on top the other and blow. Cools in seconds I don't know if that's a good thing. It also cleans the beans very nicely. My friend always admires the difference. If you're roast is towards the dark end then you gotta hold the blower back a little or it will fracture the beans a little.

I dont know about kenyans in general but my friend and I are both hating this Kenyan. It's tasting notes are just sour. That seems at any roast level. And here I thought my espresso was just s***. ;)

Getting shots dialed in. I think it's setting four on the virtuoso and a 30 pound tamp. As fill it I slap the bottom down a couple times it seems too distribute the grind evenly.

looks great! have you considered adding the longest, cheapest extension cord you can get to slow down your popper? i hear it's a great addition

Thanks jammin! This is the Whirley Pop stove-top popcorn maker, so no extension cords. I actually screwed this batch up in the opposite direction from reading this thread (prob your posts). I had started with 4 oz and 8 oz batches, and jumped to 16oz for this one...almost doubled my roast time as I didn't raise the temperature enough to account for the difference (or my stove just can't get hot enough?). This one may be a bit muted in taste as it took almost 20 minutes to first crack. My 4 oz and 8 oz batches were getting to first crack in about 9-12 minutes (medium power on the stove). Definitely a learn thru experience venture!

too bad about BB - i've always heard they were top tier and wanted to try them.

one thing i like to do at "destination" places weather it's restaurants, breweries or coffee houses; i like to order multiple things even if I'm not that hungry or need the extra drink. It's simply just to taste a variety of good stuff.

Short story; my best friend and I went to Cabo San Lucas during our leave from Iraq. For our biggest night out, we went to the most famous restaurant in Cabo, Mi Casa. My friend ordered an app & 2 main courses! At the time I thought "what the heck". It was a bit expensive and he didn't even eat all the food. He later explained it was about getting a broader more memorable experience. To this day I look back on it and wish I would have done the same. The food was superb and like nothing you can get stateside. I shorted myself on a bit of life experience over a measly $20.

Anyways - something to think about. Next time order 2 different cups of pour over & a shot - throw half of it away but enjoy it all!

This is cool advice and interesting advice.

Next time order 2 different cups of pour over & a shot - throw half of it away but enjoy it all!

All of what you said is true. A few years back I had a friend who is a chef. A group of us went to dinner one night and he ordered 8 plates of food for him and his wife. They were "small plates" but still a good size - you'd usually only order 3 maybe 4 for two people. I couldn't figure it out at the time, but now I totally get it.

He made a point to get as much of the experience as possible when he went out, and he learned a ton along the way. He recently "Beat Bobby Flay" and was 2nd on "Top Chef" (though it was a bit of a controversial loss). Point is, he gets around and it seems to help.

I used to be this way with beer but I just struggle with adjusting to different flavors during flights. Now I just order a couple pints and I'm good. But I do enjoy a good coffee flight.

Madcap used to actually do this, not sure if they still do; you can get three smaller pour overs. Was a good way to try about 8 or 10 oz of each coffee.

If you need a good Kenyan, this is a damn good one.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/kenya-nyeri-kiawamururu-aa-5202
^the beans are extremely uniform and the processing is top notch like you'd expect from a Kenyan or Guat. First crack comes on early and strong but is easily manageable. It is AA rated (big beans) which not necessarily rare, but I can't remember the last AA with this good of a cup. It's from the Famous Nyeri district and is an SL-28 varietal. Nyeri and Kirinyaga produce the best Kenyan coffee and the SL-28 varietal just might be the best they grow - be sure to write Nestle and kindly tell them to stop trying to rip those plants out in favor a more disease resistant strain that tastes like butt.

I've been drinking it for the past 3 days and it's just killer. Hits all the notes as described. I roasted this to a light city wth a 3ish minute development and the acidity and sweetness is just fantastic. I think total roast time was close to 12 minutes - I can post the graph later tonight.

Wondering if anyone would be interested maybe doing a swap for some of this stuff - maybe we can work in a bottle of local or homebrew?

After thinking about it for months I finally decided to do some aging in a bourbon bottle. This is an El Salvador,and I'm out of roasted coffee so I'll actually be trying this each day for the next few days. That should give me a nice idea of how much character the bottle adds by day.

View attachment 1488416036399.jpg

After thinking about it for months I finally decided to do some aging in a bourbon bottle. This is an El Salvador,and I'm out of roasted coffee so I'll actually be trying this each day for the next few days. That should give me a nice idea of how much character the bottle adds by day.

Beans in a freshly emptied bottle?

Beans in a freshly emptied bottle?

A few years ago the big fad was to age green coffee in a bourbon barrel prior to roasting. Due to the poracity of coffee beans, they can really soak up their environment. I've haven't had a chance to try any of it but ive heard the results can be interesting.

Hurry up and let us know what you come up with, HTB! I'm a big bourbon fan so I hope your experiment turns out awesome :mug:

A few years ago the big fad was to age green coffee in a bourbon barrel prior to roasting. Due to the poracity of coffee beans, they can really soak up their environment. I've haven't had a chance to try any of it but ive heard the results can be interesting.

Hurry up and let us know what you come up with, HTB! I'm a big bourbon fan so I hope your experiment turns out awesome :mug:

I'll be finishing a bottle shortly and green beans available, I'm game.

Beans have about 20 hours of rest since roasting, and have been in the bottle for 14 hours.

The beans had a bit of a bourbon smell upon grinding them, but the coffee itself doesn't have any aroma of bourbon (that I can tell). I don't think the bourbon has added a whole lot of flavor at this point, but there is definitely a little vanilla flavor present that I had never gotten out of this bean previously.

I'll post another update tomorrow after an additional 24 hours rest.

Another update, with the beans having about 44 hours rest in the bottle. Definitely more flavor coming from the bourbon, though it doesn't jump out at you. If someone gave me this without knowing, I would think it's a complex tasting coffee, but I wouldn't know it'd been aged in a bourbon bottle.

Now we're picking up more caramel and still getting vanilla flavors. Should be interesting to see how this evolves in the next couple days.

@applescrap /all the rest of you coffee freaks - some nice looking Geisha green went up today
http://www.roastmasters.com/brujas.html
I'm ordering 1lb(or more pending interest) which makes me nervous/excited/contrite/salacious all at the same time. The price drops by $8/lb if you order 5lbs or more - PM me if you're serious about grabbing even a few lbs and we can hammer out shipping. We can make a combined order off their site to make it worth your while if you like. My goal would be to get a few more lbs of this Geisha at a discount... as the kids say; YOLO

anyways, y'all know Im always on the lookout for the rare Killer Columbian... I think I may have spotted one. I didn't even know coffee could be grown this high in Columbia clocking at a dizzying 2,100 meters which is enough to give a solid Kenyan vertigo. No doubt this will be some dense beans that should roast really well. I'm in for a solid 5lbs and can't wait to get it in the cup:mug: Gotta a feeling this isn't one to be missed
http://www.roastmasters.com/colombia3.html

friendly reminder - this is a monster Kenyan def. worth snatching up:

Another update, with the beans having about 44 hours rest in the bottle. Definitely more flavor coming from the bourbon, though it doesn't jump out at you. If someone gave me this without knowing, I would think it's a complex tasting coffee, but I wouldn't know it'd been aged in a bourbon bottle.

Now we're picking up more caramel and still getting vanilla flavors. Should be interesting to see how this evolves in the next couple days.

Cool. Look forward to the update

anyways, y'all know Im always on the lookout for the rare Killer Columbian... I think I may have spotted one. I didn't even know coffee could be grown this high in Columbia clocking at a dizzying 2,100 meters which is enough to give a solid Kenyan vertigo. No doubt this will be some dense beans that should roast really well. I'm in for a solid 5lbs and can't wait to get it in the cup:mug: Gotta a feeling this isn't one to be missed

That does sound good. I'm sitting on about 7lbs of Columbian right now but that sounds so different and good. Thanks for sharing,I'll be sleeping on it.

@applescrap /all the rest of you coffee freaks - some nice looking Geisha green went up today
http://www.roastmasters.com/brujas.html
I'm ordering 1lb(or more pending interest) which makes me nervous/excited/contrite/salacious all at the same time. The price drops by $8/lb if you order 5lbs or more - PM me if you're serious about grabbing even a few lbs and we can hammer out shipping. We can make a combined order off their site to make it worth your while if you like. My goal would be to get a few more lbs of this Geisha at a discount... as the kids say; YOLO

friendly reminder - this is a monster Kenyan def. worth snatching up:

Man thanks for pointing this out, is it the real deal. Have you seen or tasted the goods.

When do i have to decide by? Yolo

I want to buy a lot of pounds and sell it to people at $200 a pound roasted. There have got to be so many people in this world that could Splash that out and not even think twice. Thanks for sharing the deal

Omg, the sour kenyan we got. My buddy and I are done with it. We can't drink anymore of it. I think I'm going to roast what i got left dark.

I want to buy a lot of pounds and sell it to people at $200 a pound roasted. There have got to be so many people in this world that could Splash that out and not even think twice. Thanks for sharing the deal

Not sure if you're being snarky but that's really not necessary. You mentioned the Geisha type coffee earlier so I thought you'd at least be interested in looking at the offering even if only for fun.

^^f... no. Infact i was hoping you might help me roast it. See when i googled this coffee last time, 140 green lots and 600 retail lots showed up. I am not playing. As far as personal i am in for one and i bet my buddy is to. My only fear is how do i pay you right away as i dont want to string you along. Sorry j, last thing I would ever do is try and piss you off. Actually i respect the hell out of ya. I might be reaching a little far in the sales direction though. I dont have a website or anything yet. I guess I would just put it on eBay and roast it to order. I am sure there are rules though and all that to but damn i am seeing dollar signs. Anyways i am in for at least a pound for sure, but only if I can pay you back right away as thats how i roll.

I'd take 2 pounds. I'm reluctant to try it because 1) I'll probably ruin it with my brewing prowesslessness, 2) if I like it I won't want to buy more because of the expense. But what the hell, I'm gonna die some day, I've been thinking about riding a bull named fu manchu.

I'd pay for 2 pounds and a flat rate USPS shipper to my home. If you set this up J, count me in for 2 and post the # price and shipping and I'll paypal you (if that's an option).

Wow I just found this thread after wondering if anybody else roasted. 236 pages later, Haha. I am awaiting delivery of my new Hottop 2k. This is going to be fun!

Latest posts

Back