☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the ethiopian. The beans struck me as poquito. Couldnt wait to roast it. Gave er hell. 10 minutes, I knew some beans were under roasted, but I also knew others were approaching scorched. I had to pull it off. It seems a fairly uneven roast and as I sit here ruminating, why didnt I give it just a little more, I am wondering some ideas. The bag says city to fc, so maybe that is what the bean naturally creates? At 10 minutes other beans are much darker. Is it really fresh so maybe it has more fluid in some beans than others? Does it need a longer slower roast? Idk hope it turns out, any thoughts much appreciated.

View attachment 1476924525439.jpg

I can't remember but are you using a whirly, scrap? You may want to stick to about 8oz loads and just crank it hard and quick.

Haha, this is killing me. Tee, hee, sorry, hilarious. I finished to early and I need to crank hard and quick. Srsly though great eyes pp and for this ethopian need smaller batches as suggested harbortownbrewing.

I just ordered that Ethiopia Jammin suggested - really excited for that one. Also picked up some Congo which is a new one for me.

I've been selling to friends, and more and more people are buying now. It's helping reduce prices, which gets more people interested. But it's getting in the way of me roasting for myself (which bothers me, as a somewhat selfish person). I always end up selling all my good stuff before I get to try it (other than what I cup), then I'm left to drink my leftover 2 year old beans that I never liked.

I need to get my priorities back in line! Ideally though, I'm just trying to save up enough cash to upgrade my equipment in the future. At the rate I'm going, it'll take a few years.

That looks like a VERY stripped down drum roaster. I don't even know that I see a heating element there though? If it has one, it would be 100% power all the time without the ability to remove heat.

If you are looking for a cheap drum roaster, you can get a used Behmor for about $200, and it would have temp control.

Any experience in this thread with the bread machine / heat gun method? I've already got a heat gun and can pick up a BM for < 50 bucks. Seems like this method works well for larger batch sizes.

From what I've read the SC/TO struggles with larger batch sizes and I can't justify the time spent unless I'm roasting at least 1lb at a time.

Any experience in this thread with the bread machine / heat gun method? I've already got a heat gun and can pick up a BM for < 50 bucks. Seems like this method works well for larger batch sizes.

From what I've read the SC/TO struggles with larger batch sizes and I can't justify the time spent unless I'm roasting at least 1lb at a time.

jammin had one. He's in here daily, I'm sure he'll comment.

My SC/TO does just fine with 1# batches. In fact, it's the only size I do, and I've pushed many many batches through it. I'm not going to tell you it's better or worse than any other method, so if you're motivated to make your heat gun gadget, good luck!

I have just been using a heat gun with a stainless mesh strainer or mixing bowl (can't bring myself to use a dog bowl). The bread machine is a nice idea to keep the beans moving but you really don't need it.

So for the artisan users, a new version was just released that purports to have PID ability via the artisan software itself I think. Is this for real?

Have not had a chance to download it or try using it yet.

TD

I used a heat gun and cast iron pot on a camp stove for a couple of years with great success. Even though I could of done 1lb batched I liked having a variety of coffees so I did half pound batches mostly(still do). It is only an extra 10 to 12min or so for a second half pound batch. Took about an hour to roast 2lbs of coffee. I used to buy the samplers from sweet marias so you get the coffee for about $5/lb and with a half pound batch I got a second shot at adjusting the roast if the first attempt was not quite right.

The never used a bread machine but that would be nice as you dont have to stir. I got a good year and a half out of a harbor freight heat gun before it burned up.

Thanks for the feedback, I like the manual stir heat gun idea. Might give that a try before purchasing a bread maker. Assuming the results would be similar.

That looks like a VERY stripped down drum roaster. I don't even know that I see a heating element there though? If it has one, it would be 100% power all the time without the ability to remove heat.

If you are looking for a cheap drum roaster, you can get a used Behmor for about $200, and it would have temp control.

Thanks for the advice. Thats it then used behmor. Assume they are reliable and or repairable?

Thanks for the advice. Thats it then used behmor. Assume they are reliable and or repairable?

I think they are mostly reliable and quite repairable. I had an issue with mine but they sent me parts and instructions to fix it (no charge or proof of receipt for the warranty). The company has not done a great job at writing instructions but you figure it out with a little research (I've got a lot of notes I can share as well).

Overall it's just tough to beat the behmor FOR THE PRICE for being able to roast 12 oz or so ounces easily and alter the heat during the roast. It's not the best roaster. But it's the best $370 roaster.

Cant figure out how to imbed video^^

Whirlypop, DC Geared motor (56rpm @ 12v), 12v Battery, 6mm to 5mm coupler.

Set heat, add beans, plug in, come back 12 minutes later and dump. So nice to have it automated. Stirred for 2 batches before coming up with this. $35 :)

Cant figure out how to imbed video^^

Whirlypop, DC Geared motor (56rpm @ 12v), 12v Battery, 6mm to 5mm coupler.

Set heat, add beans, plug in, come back 12 minutes later and dump. So nice to have it automated. Stirred for 2 batches before coming up with this. $35 :)

The address MUST be www.youtube.com domain. When you select "share", it gives you one of those www.youtu.be addresses, which won't embed.

Very cool there. Get us a link to the gear motor you used please.

Thanks passedpawn reroasted it this morning. Still a little light. The light roast body was similar to water. Lots of varietal flavors, dominated by soft fruit apricot. Reroasted on medium. I have to roast a little slower in future I think for more control.

View attachment 1477149689246.jpg

I roasted the last beans in a bag of PNG. After 2 and 3 days it really was just boring and I couldn't figure out what I screwed up. But today, day 4, wow. It's the png I knew before. That's definitely a coffee that benefits from 4 plus days of rest.

I roasted up that Ethiopia Fala tonight. Actually my wife roasted it and I told her what to do.

Only when I'm trying to explain the process do I realize how complex this all is. She's interested in learning, which is good with me. But I don't know that I'll be able to keep it interesting enough to her.

On the flip side, sometimes the best way to learn is to teach.

I roasted up that Ethiopia Fala tonight. Actually my wife roasted it and I told her what to do.

Only when I'm trying to explain the process do I realize how complex this all is. She's interested in learning, which is good with me. But I don't know that I'll be able to keep it interesting enough to her.

On the flip side, sometimes the best way to learn is to teach.

I roasted 5# of it this past weekend. I did different temps and times. No tasting yet... maybe tomorrow. I have another 5# waiting for the tasting results :)

_mg_1719-67677.jpg

Clever plan pp. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them. I would drink every single one of those. I did a new, dark again, roast on monday at halftime. It smells really good today. You guys were so right about letting it rest.

I have been using a french press at work. I use a cheap quick water heater and a minute or so later its boiling. Dump that in the press. I think its better than the mr coffee pot.

With and w out flash. 1.5 pounds of the ethiopian! Went to medium heat at 9 minutes. Finished 18 minutes I think. Dumped early again, all that frickin chaff is tricky. Wasn't having that chit again. Threw it back on stove. I hear a couple cracks and panic first crack is over. On medium first crack is extended. How long should first crack be anyways? Happy Halloween.

View attachment 1477782926181.jpg

View attachment 1477782935505.jpg

I tried it this morning with 2.5 days rest and didn't get much flavor. I'll give it another day before I try it again, but I'm hoping my roast wasnt a dud. Surely a 93 or so rated coffee shouldn't taste as mushy as mine did today.

The wife said she tasted blueberries as it cooled so maybe there's hope. Maybe

^^haha, same here apricot at best. Other than that good but little flavor. Was just afraid to say it. I like big bold chocolate and blueberry flavors. I have drank 2 pounds at various roast levels now. Its balance is superior and it still deserves a 90 in my opinion just not my favorite.

^^haha, same here apricot at best. Other than that good but little flavor. Was just afraid to say it. I like big bold chocolate and blueberry flavors. I have drank 2 pounds at various roast levels now. Its balance is superior and it still deserves a 90 in my opinion just not my favorite.

The pics you posted appear to be in the Full City range and at an 18 minute roast duration I'm not surprised that any flavors are subdued. Can you remind me again please about your roasting method & when/how you're applying heat?

In general advice for crowd consumption; Dry Processed Ethiopian beans are represented best at the lightest roast you're comfortable with. Aim to hit 1C within 9 minutes at the steadiest, most expiedient pace you can employ. After that you want to make sure your roaster has been staged to deliver a gentle coast entering & progressing through 1C such that you can dump just as 1C is thinking about finishing. My 1C through to finish times are generally around 2 minutes. Full roast times rarely exceed 11 minutes.

I emplore you to experiment with your kit & see what results you get by trying the parameters I suggested. The boring results you posted do not surprise me when compared to the extended roast times you are using. DP Ethiopians are delicate beans that easily get their flavor washed out. Conversely, this is one of the same reasons that make them work so well for an SO Espresso.

http://www.robotshop.com/en/spur-gearmotors.html

I went with this one: (Plenty of torque)
http://www.robotshop.com/en/cytron-12v-56rpm-83oz-in-spur-gearmotor.html

It has a 6mm shaft coming out and the whirly arm has a 5mm shaft. I used this to mate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191783052939

You can use a wallwart to power the motor as well, I just have a bunch of lipo batteries from other hobbies.

I found some similar motors on ebay as well that would probably work, anywhere from 46-100RPM, some have a gearbox.

I think for power I will use an old PC power supply, I don't think I have an AC adapter that outputs more than 700-800 mA laying around at the moment.

The pics you posted appear to be in the Full City range and at an 18 minute roast duration I'm not surprised that any flavors are subdued. Can you remind me again please about your roasting method & when/how you're applying heat?

In general advice for crowd consumption; Dry Processed Ethiopian beans are represented best at the lightest roast you're comfortable with. Aim to hit 1C within 9 minutes at the steadiest, most expiedient pace you can employ. After that you want to make sure your roaster has been staged to deliver a gentle coast entering & progressing through 1C such that you can dump just as 1C is thinking about finishing. My 1C through to finish times are generally around 2 minutes. Full roast times rarely exceed 11 minutes.

I emplore you to experiment with your kit & see what results you get by trying the parameters I suggested. The boring results you posted do not surprise me when compared to the extended roast times you are using. DP Ethiopians are delicate beans that easily get their flavor washed out. Conversely, this is one of the same reasons that make them work so well for an SO Espresso.

Thanks for the tips and for asking. I am using whirly pop on new ge stove. With 1# I usually hit 1c at 730 or 8 and finish between 9 and 10 minutes. With this coffee the roast variation was wild so I tried to start at hi then switch to medium. Its the biggest most powerful burner on medium. This roast was over 1.5 pounds of coffee. My only other experience doing that showed that it took longer to roast more coffee. In fact based on my experience,. I would be extremely impressed to see one and a half to two pounds of coffee roasted in 11 minutes. It makes me wonder what the adjustment is for a larger roast batch. Maybe with the methods I'm using the only way I can keep it under 11 minutes is to roast a pound at a time? Anyways switched to medium heat at 9 minutes, then at 13 or so dumped it early and put it back in to finish. Appreciate all the help. With the whirly pop seems have to choose more variation and quicker roast vs more muted flavors but less variation?

Fwiw, when I used a whirly I got the most even roasted and best tasting beans with .5 lbs. I tried more but it didn't work out.

Back