☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First one:

IMG_3102.JPG

Dang it, now I want another. Those look so refreshing and I just cut lawn too. I throw 2 shots in a cup. Add sugar, add milk, stir and then add ice to fill cup. Or 2 shots, flavored creamer, a splash of milk and ice. Do you just throw two shots on ice for the americano?

Dang it, now I want another. Those look so refreshing and I just cut lawn too. I throw 2 shots in a cup. Add sugar, add milk, stir and then add ice to fill cup. Or 2 shots, flavored creamer, a splash of milk and ice. Do you just throw two shots on ice for the americano?
~35g of espresso from my typical shots, poured over ~100g of ice, then added ~150g cold water. Shooting for around the 16:1 ratio of water to ground coffee.

On the second one, i poured a little less than an ounce of bourbon in there before adding the water, but finished with about the same drink weight. It's pretty tasty, balanced maybe a little toward the bourbon, but very nice.

Maybe a little over the top on weighing all of the additions, but I'm in the habit of weighing everything with my coffee now.

Maybe a little over the top on weighing all of the additions, but I'm in the habit of weighing everything with my coffee now.
Nope not at all. It's the only way to get things dialed in.
Plus it makes it easier for us to duplicate because we don't know how much your smige of this and splash of that comes out to. ;)

you got me thinking about PNG's so i added one in for today's session. really looking forward to enjoying some cups this week

View attachment 636644

What’s the scale on your delta bt there? Is it really that high or just on a different scale than I’m used to? Something I’m starting to pay some more attention to with my roasts.

I think its zero to fifty but and can verify for ya later.
I wouldn’t worry about it much. I have 2mm probes and a thick azz drum. RoR often goes off scale after charge. I find the first 2 minutes to be nearly meaningless in this regard

The Starbucks by me has cold foam nitro cold brew. It’s an amazing drink. I definitely recommend it. They aren’t all fancified and pumped full of sugar.

@MaxStout I have identified the mystery beans I sent you and they make really good espresso. If you have an espresso machine I would suggest using them for espresso.

...How is the lempira?

The natural is very good. I roasted it to the first sound of second crack and rested it for 3 days. Overall it's sweet, fruity and floral with medium-low acidity and medium mouthfeel. I made espresso. I tasted caramel, chocolate, strawberry or peach, and cinnamon.

I tried the little bag of LF Lempira cherry tea this morning. The instructions called for 225ml water per 9g, so brewed the whole 1oz with about 675ml almost-boiling water. Used a press and steeped 5 minutes.

An acquired taste. Very sour with some funk, and I'm not a big funk or sour fan. Aroma had sour (like sour milk) and funky, earthy notes. I took a few sips but couldn't drink it all. Not for me. My wife and mother-in-law tried some, they didn't care for it. That said, if you like sour and funk you might enjoy this. LF does sell it for $2/oz., with coffee orders.

CoffeeHuskTea.jpg

I think its zero to fifty but and can verify for ya later.
I wouldn’t worry about it much. I have 2mm probes and a thick azz drum. RoR often goes off scale after charge. I find the first 2 minutes to be nearly meaningless in this regard
Well, if it's on the same scale that i have in artisan, it would be like 95F/min, which doesn't really look like it matches your BT. Going off of these recommendations...
https://millcityroasters.com/roaster-news/roasting-102/
...I'm going to start turning off the heat when i charge. I hadn't been doing it because i was concerned about not having enough power to get through the roast, but that really hasn't been an issue for me, so I'm going to see what I get.

I’ve done a lot of roasts with a 1 minute soak. It’s basically how I started with the TJ & spent a few years using that technique. It wasn’t until recently that I’ve converted to a higher airflow roast. This has allowed me to get to 1C in a quicker, more controlled manner.

Edit: you can see the posted avg. RoR in each segment. Considering the lighter probes I’d say that I’m falling right in their guidance. Not that there is only one right answer blah blah

Last edited:
Made a real nice iced coffee using an Ethiopian this past weekend when the weather was in the 90s. I don't like cold coffee but when I make it I usually enjoy Ethiopia or Kenya iced.

The PNG has been fantastic, one of the better things I have roasted in a while. Molasses, tobacco, brown sugar... It's all there.
20190720_154020.jpeg

Sounds good. I cant do their carbon roasts though. Is it a lighter roast?
I wouldn’t say the roast is lighter but the profile is much different being that it is cold brew and the nitro gives it a heavier body. It reminds me of a cold Guinness but without hops and a bit sweet from the cold foam. The cold foam is kind of like drinking a cloud LOL

I wouldn’t say the roast is lighter but the profile is much different being that it is cold brew and the nitro gives it a heavier body. It reminds me of a cold Guinness but without hops and a bit sweet from the cold foam. The cold foam is kind of like drinking a cloud LOL
Sounds delicious.

Was reading and commenting about adding coffee to beer and read something that sparked a light bulb. 10 watts of course.

What if I took idk a gallon of water and made cold brew with whole beans. Let it sit for like 3 to 5 days just like if it was in the fermenter. Seems worth a try. Whole bean cold brew.

Was reading and commenting about adding coffee to beer and read something that sparked a light bulb. 10 watts of course.

What if I took idk a gallon of water and made cold brew with whole beans. Let it sit for like 3 to 5 days just like if it was in the fermenter. Seems worth a try. Whole bean cold brew.
I usually make cold brew with coarse ground beans in a cheese cloth. I let it sit in the fridge in a pitcher for about 12 hours then pour it through a coffee filter in to another pitcher. I think it’s like 1 lb to a gallon of water.

I usually make cold brew with coarse ground beans in a cheese cloth. I let it sit in the fridge in a pitcher for about 12 hours then pour it through a coffee filter in to another pitcher. I think it’s like 1 lb to a gallon of water.
Thats it, 1lb per gallon. Like the cheese cloth idea. Ideally I aim for closer to 24 and not in fridge. Honestly I think 48 hours at room temp would be probably the best. It just keeps getting better and better. Start with warm water for quicker extractions.

You'll have to grind it, course would be the minimum. Otherwise it will not extract any flavor. I don't know about doing it at room temperature...seems like off flavors could develop.

Personally, I have added coffee to my beer a few different ways. Cheesecloth method did not work well for me; I have had the best luck putting a french press full of water and coarse beans in the fridge for 24 hours or so, then adding it to the beer. It's not messy, it cleans up easily, and it filters out most of the grinds from making their way into the beer/wort.

Why bother with the cheesecloth if you’re going to pour through a filter anyway?
The cheesecloth makes it easier to get that pound of coffee out. I filter it to get the powdery stuff out just because I don’t like it but it isn’t necessary.

Thats it, 1lb per gallon. Like the cheese cloth idea. Ideally I aim for closer to 24 and not in fridge. Honestly I think 48 hours at room temp would be probably the best. It just keeps getting better and better. Start with warm water for quicker extractions.
I’m don’t have the patience to wait 48 hours :(

https://royalcoffee.com/product/cjo1301/

FINALLY... a nice berry forward, Natural Ethiopian hit the Crown today. This one is gonna be killer. High density and mostly 15 screen size.

I ordered 2 boxes this time so (0) 5lb bags available @ $46.30 shipped to your door. ($8 shipping + $7.66/lb*5). PM for a bag.

Last edited:
The cheesecloth makes it easier to get that pound of coffee out. I filter it to get the powdery stuff out just because I don’t like it but it isn’t necessary.
That's right. The coarser the crack the less of the powdery stuff. I use my little cold brew maker usually or French press. But with a pound in a gallon? I dunno. I'll probably try cheese cloth. Bit worried I'll chug the gallon down ;).

HUGE thanks, @jammin for always being on top of these crown jewels and also doing the buying and splitting.

I PMed yesterday to get in on that one without even clicking on the link to read about it. Now that I've looked at it, I'm wondering if i should get more...

Yeah no kidding, fronting the cash and doing all the splitting. You da man. Thanks Jammin. I was trying to put it together last night, but had a few beers and it was late. So Gedeo is the region and yirgacheffe is one town. Cant remember this town right now. That area has really been producing some splendid coffee for some time now.

Edit, so gedeo the zone has woredas the districts and the districts have kebele the neighborhoods. According to wikipedia the smallest level of government in Ethiopia. Anyone have a kebele map? Just curious. Hope I get there someday.

Last edited:
Back