☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha what is going on here? I posted that for you not me. I'd rather be poor and have time to golf then be a millionaire and work all the time. Clearly you have me mistaken for somebody else.

I have posted the numbers before though kind of like that article. I remember now I shared them with Harbor town brewing a ways back on this thread. I agree with that article and people do the same with beer. they think they can make a living with 10 barrels. if you don't have the coffee and you don't have the beer then what the h*** are you going to sell. Seems obvious but if you wanna make a lot of money better sell a lot of coffee. My thing would be the 20 sack. Really good ethiopian at 20 a sack. Maybe have a 10 bag. There is no way I would do it. My son asked me once why I didn't own a restaurant or cook for a living and I had to Tell him that I didn't want to work that hard. I value the time with the children more than anything.

Not to mention that the best way to ruin a perfectly good hobby is to try to make money from it.

A little oxy clean goes a long way to cleaning a cup. This roast was weird I went 5 of 6 Power straight through on a big pound.1740 to 1c. Smells good, couldn't wait, first pour over tasted baked I thought at first but by end of cup was nice! No Char
20190417_092428.jpeg
20190417_083632.jpeg

I have been having some beans that don’t ever seem to puff up and first crack is very subtle. I keep over roasting them. I can’t figure out if it’s just a bad batch of beans, maybe something I am doing wrong, or maybe some beans are just like that. One is a Costa Rica and the other is a Tanzania.

I tried my first 2lb batch tonight on the Bullet, and it went really well.

I didn't know if it would be of any use, but I used an overlay of a 1lb batch for the same bean (Honduras, Legacy Farms) and wanted to see if I could come close.

All I can say is...holy crap this thing can put out some heat. I am absolutely amazed how close to each other these two bean temps are despite the longer one being twice the quantity of beans. For 1lb I had charged at 175C, for 2lbs I charged at 200C and started with a higher temp.

The only thing that really bothered me was I got to 1C later with the 2lb batch. I marked it prematurely, so it actually started about 1.5 mins later than the 1lb batch. Had a nice, solid crack though and I ended it with 15% development (again, despite what the graph says since I marked it too soon).

upload_2019-4-17_18-26-16.png

I just roasted 1/4lb of Monsoon Malabar that I picked up from the Green Coffee Buying Club.
The description mentioned a peanut butter finish that I couldn't pass up trying, so I went for it.
The beans are lighter in weight and color than any other beans I've seen, almost to the point of being white.
I took them to about 30 seconds past 1C in the Behmor then pulled them. Nice looking roast that I forgot to take a pic of so for now you just get the "before".
IMG_20190418_150100.jpeg

I just roasted 1/4lb of Monsoon Malabar that I picked up from the Green Coffee Buying Club.
The description mentioned a peanut butter finish that I couldn't pass up trying, so I went for it.
The beans are lighter in weight and color than any other beans I've seen, almost to the point of being white.
I took them to about 30 seconds past 1C in the Behmor then pulled them. Nice looking roast that I forgot to take a pic of so for now you just get the "before".

Yea, that's unusual looking.

Speaking of unsual, today I scored a half pound of organic columbian and organic ethiopian green beans. The AC tech that was replacing my AC is married to a woman who runs a coffee roasting operation locally. Traded a fat stick of homemade fennel salami for the beans.

upload_2019-4-18_19-15-36.png

Last edited:
Yea, that's unusual looking.

Speaking of unsual, today I scored a half pound of organic columbian and organic ethiopian green beans. The AC tech that was replacing my AC is married to a woman who runs a coffee roasting operation locally. Traded a fat stick of homemade fennel salami for the beans.

View attachment 622734

I know this is a coffee thread, but would love to see the charcuterie equipment you’re using for that salami, curing chamber. Been wanting to get into that for a while, and have simply not enough time to devote, although I have an unfinished dry curing chamber I fashioned.

I know this is a coffee thread, but would love to see the charcuterie equipment you’re using for that salami, curing chamber. Been wanting to get into that for a while, and have simply not enough time to devote, although I have an unfinished dry curing chamber I fashioned.

To avoid spinning way OT, just have a look here. I just used my fermentation chest freezer with a dehumidifer and fog maker. Maybe post questions there. I'm getting pretty good at the salami.

Salami (Finocchiona) - curing in the Chamber of Meatiness

Blade grinders suck.

I have a Braun grinder, had it for years. I can (sort of) vary the grind, based on how many seconds I run it. Still, what comes out is a mixed aggregate. But the amount of time to grind also depends on how much beans I have in the grinder. I only grind enough for the moment and sometimes I only want to grind a few tablespoons for one cup and that requires less grind time than a full load. Too many variables here. The grinder isn't bad for espresso, as all I have to do is keep it going until the coffee is pulverized into a powder. But I like to make pressed coffee, and no matter what I try to get a fairly coarse grind, there's always enough fine granules mixed in to make it an effort to plunge the press. Along with a bunch of big chunks that probably don't add much to the brew.

This is a typical "coarse" grind, about 12 seconds in the blade unit. Looks like a soil sample from Mars.

BladeGrindersSuck.jpg

I decided I'd had enough, and ordered a burr grinder, the Secura for about $40 on Amazon. Not the best but I can't justify several hundred for a top-notch grinder, so I opted for something I think will at least be more consistent than a blade unit.

One piece of advice for hand grinders, steer clear of ceramic burrs. They crush/pulverize the coffee vs. steel burrs that cut the coffee as it grinds. As a result, ceramic burrs tend to produce a larger percentage of fines/dust. This is no problem for espresso but can really throw off a cup of press pot or clog paper filters.

For entry level burr grinders, I’ll always give a nod to the Baratza Virtuoso. Refurbs are not too spendy & has a terrific filter/press grind.

I got an electric tea kettle with temperature controls and used it with my French press. I heated the water to 200 and was shocked at the difference it made. Way less bitterness than using straight boiling water from the stove top tea kettle. It was almost like a totally different coffee bean. My wife thought I was tricking her LOL.

I took coffee to the family for Easter and decided to try my hand at a darker roasted Brazil. Since most of the coffee would be going through drip machines and with less QC on my end, I figured it was a good chance to see how it would taste brewed in "normal" kitchens.

I have never taken the Bullet to Second Crack (aside from the first few seasoning roasts) and I didn't quite get it there this time, but I think I was around 25% development and the beans were just starting to get into 2C once they hit the cooling tray.

Result? Nobody said anything about the coffee this weekend. Ten people tried it, and not a single, "wow that is good" or even a darn "thank you".

Moral? Either I've started conditioning my family to like lighter roasts, my family is boring, or I need to up my dark roast game. It's probably a little bit of each, though I probably dropped this a tad too soon - kind of in that strange void between a light and dark roast, as it just didn't quite have that roasty flavor.

I took coffee to the family for Easter and decided to try my hand at a darker roasted Brazil. Since most of the coffee would be going through drip machines and with less QC on my end, I figured it was a good chance to see how it would taste brewed in "normal" kitchens.

I have never taken the Bullet to Second Crack (aside from the first few seasoning roasts) and I didn't quite get it there this time, but I think I was around 25% development and the beans were just starting to get into 2C once they hit the cooling tray.

Result? Nobody said anything about the coffee this weekend. Ten people tried it, and not a single, "wow that is good" or even a darn "thank you".

Moral? Either I've started conditioning my family to like lighter roasts, my family is boring, or I need to up my dark roast game. It's probably a little bit of each, though I probably dropped this a tad too soon - kind of in that strange void between a light and dark roast, as it just didn't quite have that roasty flavor.
Maybe it was just closer to what they are used to drinking. Also some people are just boring and can’t understand the complexities of a good cup of coffee. Not everyone can be as awesome as the HBT coffee thread crew.

I guess I need to step up to a real coffee grinder next. I use a cheap blade grinder from Walmart. I just can’t bring myself to put out that kind of cash for something that is just going to crush my coffee beans. Someone is going to have to convince me.

I guess I need to step up to a real coffee grinder next. I use a cheap blade grinder from Walmart. I just can’t bring myself to put out that kind of cash for something that is just going to crush my coffee beans. Someone is going to have to convince me.

I bought a used Baratza Encore (thank you @HarborTownBrewing) and haven’t been happier! You can buy refurbs from Baratza at a decent price. A big difference with our drip machine (Bonavita) used every morning. It’s also great for the French Press used about once a week. It fits the need for my EC-15 espresso machine for the occasional espresso.

I would recommend it to anyone looking to take the jump to a good burr grinder without breaking the bank. If I was to up my espresso game then I would look into a better espresso machine and possibly a dedicated grinder but for now the Encore is great!

Now go buy one and never look back! You’re welcome! [emoji6]

OK folks.

So I posted a while back about having about 30# or so of old "past crop" greens that I had overbought.

I has been confirmed that they haven't aged well, and the sounds of 1C are quite muted, as are the flavors, and aroma. However, these were all great beans at their peak, and before I throw them away, I was going to offer them for free to anyone who is willing to pay for S&H costs.

All in all the beer case that they barely fit into weighs 36.7 pounds. Probably another .1 pound to get it packed properly. Didn't mark down the weight of each, but all are 2-5 pounds minus perhaps a half pound or so from each. I can let you know if anyone wants them, what the actual weight is prior to shipping.

Here is the list (Most are Sweet Maria's):
3/2016 Ethiopia Gedeb Asasa Dry Process
9/2016 Ethiopia Janbar Dry Process
9/2016 Ethiopia Shakiso Kayon Dry Process
5/2016 Columbia La Plata Los Santo Lote 2
5/2016 Bolivia Organic Yungas Valley Peaberry
2015-16? Guatemala Huehuetenago hoja blanca
2015-16? Guatemala Ace La Bolsa (GCBC)
2015 Costa Rica La Pastora Terrazu (GCC)
~2015
El Salvador Kilimanjaro Traditional Process (Roastmasters)
Maui Mokka Natural (< 1 lb) (Direct - MauigrownGreenCoffee.com)
Kona No. 1 (< 1 lb) (Direct - Samurai Coffee Co - Kona)
Kenya Kiamabara Kii Peaberry
Ethiopia Guji Zone Akrabi
Ethiopia Dabub Matebya
Ethiopia Baraka Buna

TD

Maybe it was just closer to what they are used to drinking. Also some people are just boring and can’t understand the complexities of a good cup of coffee. Not everyone can be as awesome as the HBT coffee thread crew.

You might be 100% right - it was nothing special. You could tell it was more fresh, but it wasn't a whole lot different than anything else that you'd buy at a grocery store.

I'll second the Baratza Encore, also, for cheap burr grinders. It's a tank and really has a great variety of control. For the money, it's tough to beat. I have used the $50 Cuisinart you can get at Bed Bath, and it honestly grinds pretty well, especially for the money. But it's obnoxiously loud - like a weedeater at full throttle without any of the string left.

You might be 100% right - it was nothing special. You could tell it was more fresh, but it wasn't a whole lot different than anything else that you'd buy at a grocery store.

I'll second the Baratza Encore, also, for cheap burr grinders. It's a tank and really has a great variety of control. For the money, it's tough to beat. I have used the $50 Cuisinart you can get at Bed Bath, and it honestly grinds pretty well, especially for the money. But it's obnoxiously loud - like a weedeater at full throttle without any of the string left.
The one I have is loud too but I found that by picking it up and holding it I can reduce the sound by at least half. I mean I didn’t check the decibel rating but it’s noticeable. I found a baratza encore on amazon for 139. There is also an OXO Brew for 99. Has anyone heard of it? I know OXO makes really good kitchen ware but I wonder if this is worth the 40 dollar savings.

The one I have is loud too but I found that by picking it up and holding it I can reduce the sound by at least half. I mean I didn’t check the decibel rating but it’s noticeable. I found a baratza encore on amazon for 139. There is also an OXO Brew for 99. Has anyone heard of it? I know OXO makes really good kitchen ware but I wonder if this is worth the 40 dollar savings.

Go with the Encore and you won’t be disappointed!! Plus they make it very easy to fix if something breaks and you can buy parts from them if needed. For example I’ll upgrade the burrs on it when they need to be replaced. Probably when my kids are in college, currently in kindergarten and third grade.

Latest posts

Back