OK so I am a little demented!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plowboymiz

Reaction score
I raise some beef cattle and I had a sick thought the other day while I was feeding their grain. I says to myself "self, what would a handfull of feed thrown into the mash do?" Basically, the feed is just chopped oats, corn, soybean, and some minerals. But just for shats and gaggles, I wonder how it would turn out? I guess I could call it barn ale rather than farmhouse ale.

Any takers?

You will need to do an adjunct mash to make the starches in the raw grains available for conversion. Those grains are not kilned like brewing grains, you have to treat them as you would corn or raw oats.

Still i would be a little wary of the additives. If I remember quite a bit of salt is add to feed grain as well as some sweeteners.

Craig

Awww, what a let down. Demented would be an eye in each bottle. Maybe a beef heart in each keg.

Well that's the other thing.... some feed has blood mixed in also.... boy, I really need to read the analysis tag on the grain sack!!

You will need to do an adjunct mash to make the starches in the raw grains available for conversion. Those grains are not kilned like brewing grains, you have to treat them as you would corn or raw oats.

Still i would be a little wary of the additives. If I remember quite a bit of salt is add to feed grain as well as some sweeteners.

Craig

I'll just claim to have added the finest Burton salts:cross:

It will add an interesting...flavor. We made some..."wine"...I guess you would call it, with molasses. It has lots of minerals and other nutrients and ended up with a definite zing. But be careful; a lot of cubes will have a high protein content as well...

But I double dog dare you to do it!

BTW, I almost spit out my Frankenheimer Alt Bier (in Germany right now) when you asked yourself "Self...." ROFLMAO

Well that's the other thing.... some feed has blood mixed in also.... boy, I really need to read the analysis tag on the grain sack!!

If the feed has been produced anytime in the last 15-20 years there will be absolutely no animal by-products in them since it is now illegal to do so after the BSE and FMD scares.

as far as adding it to the mash, it depends on what is in it. If it is a TMR that you or a neighbor is producing you should easily be able to figure out what is in it. If it is a commercially produced feed you may be able to call the manufacturer, as the analysis tag may or may not actually list ingredients.

What I would watch for are the coccidiostats (like monensin, decoquinate, and amprolium) which are added to commercially produced feeds to help reduce parasite loads and incidents of "scours" in your cattle (esp. calves) Many producers will also go ahead and add coccidostats to their TMR's as well. I don't know if these drugs will do anything to a human, but I know monensin is toxic to horses, and decoquinate is not approved by the FDA to be uses in milk producing cattle and laying chickens (for what it is worth...)

Two or three more zero's behind that post count and you won;t be asking how dimented the thought is. You'll be reporting the result.

boy, I really need to read the analysis tag on the grain sack!!
I say give it a go!
We use CO-OP mixed grains that are good to munch on when doing chores. We get flaked corn....rolled oats, and molasses. It's got some other grains and such...but I've been eating it for 15 years....and its never caused any serious damage.
I've been eating it for 15 years....and its never caused any serious damage.
So....throw 3/4 or a # in your next mash....I'd stick with a brown or something...and ya, use a Belgian yeast....you might do great things!

I've been eating it for 15 years....and its never caused any serious damage.:D

Talk about a farmhouse ale! I know someone did a duck feed brew a few years back, it worked out OK. And at $8 a 50 lb sack, a deal!

If the feed has been produced anytime in the last 15-20 years there will be absolutely no animal by-products in them since it is now illegal to do so after the BSE and FMD scares.

as far as adding it to the mash, it depends on what is in it. If it is a TMR that you or a neighbor is producing you should easily be able to figure out what is in it. If it is a commercially produced feed you may be able to call the manufacturer, as the analysis tag may or may not actually list ingredients.

What I would watch for are the coccidiostats (like monensin, decoquinate, and amprolium) which are added to commercially produced feeds to help reduce parasite loads and incidents of "scours" in your cattle (esp. calves) Many producers will also go ahead and add coccidostats to their TMR's as well. I don't know if these drugs will do anything to a human, but I know monensin is toxic to horses, and decoquinate is not approved by the FDA to be uses in milk producing cattle and laying chickens (for what it is worth...)

Good point, I buy my feed from the local mill so I'm sure I can find out if there is any crazy chemicals in it. I know for a while when soy bean was really expensive around here, they were buying pallet loads of rejected hershey chocolate to mix in to supplement the ration. I couldn't figure out why the feed smelled like a candy bar until I asked them!!

I think this is an important point. IIRC those drugs impact the rumen microflora (bacteria) to improve cattle growth. Since they are toxic to certain types of bacteria, you might find they also have an effect on yeast growth. Not to mention you consuming beer with those drugs in it.

I'd triple check to see if they put that stuff in there. Hell, I don't think I would use it if your grain company uses those drugs in ANY of their products, even if they didn't put them into the TMR you buy. I doubt they would clean their TMR mixer between batches and there is a definite possibility of those drugs ending up in other mixes via cross-contaimination.

Just sayin'

Back