Imperial Red Feedback Welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6173

Reaction score
I'm starting to get back into brewing after a bit of a hiatus. I've never really played around with water chemistry but I've got a Imperial Red IPA that I want to brew next weekend. I used Beersmith for the water additions but would just like a little feed back on both the recipe and the additions from some of the more experienced brewers here. I plan on treating the full volume pre-mash rather than the two separate treatments. Full disclosure, this is basically the Megladon Red recipe that I've scaled up somewhat and adjusted for my 3v set up. I'm also planning to ferment fairly warm with the Hornindal, 85-90 but am open to other suggestions. All feedback and recommendations welcome.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Big Red
Brewer: Cody
Asst Brewer:
Style: Red IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.03 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.03 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 17.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
10.87 gal Distilled Water Water 1 - -
4.14 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
2.87 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
2.56 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
1.71 g Baking Soda (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
1.20 ml Lactic Acid (Mash) Water Agent 6 - -
12 lbs Pale Ale Malt (Rahr) (3.5 SRM) Grain 7 57.1 % 0.94 gal
6 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8 28.6 % 0.47 gal
8.0 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 9 2.4 % 0.04 gal
8.0 oz Viking Caramel 100 (50.8 SRM) Grain 10 2.4 % 0.04 gal
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 150L (Bairds) (150.0 SRM) Grain 11 1.2 % 0.02 gal
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 12 1.2 % 0.02 gal
2.02 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Sparge) Water Agent 13 - -
1.40 g Calcium Chloride (Sparge) Water Agent 14 - -
1.25 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Sparge) Water Agent 15 - -
0.83 g Baking Soda (Sparge) Water Agent 16 - -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 17 49.3 IBUs -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 18 29.8 IBUs -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 19 8.2 IBUs -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 20 4.9 IBUs -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 21 8.9 IBUs -
1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Whirlpool] (0.0 SRM) Sugar 22 7.1 % 0.11 gal
1.0 pkg Hornindal Kveik (Omega #) Yeast 23 - -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 21 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 29.25 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 3.56gal) of 168.0 F water

I plan on treating the full volume pre-mash rather than the two separate treatments.
Your recipe shows separate mash and sparge additions, so I'm confused what you mean.

Some basic things:
  • You should never add both acid and base to water (in this case lactic acid and sodium bicarbonate). Add either acid or base to achieve your desired mash pH, never both.
  • You should never add base to your sparge water. Elevated pH while sparging has a higher risk of extracting undesirable compounds from the grain.

Your recipe shows separate mash and sparge additions, so I'm confused what you mean.

Some basic things:
  • You should never add both acid and base to water (in this case lactic acid and sodium bicarbonate). Add either acid or base to achieve your desired mash pH, never both.
  • You should never add base to your sparge water. Elevated pH while sparging has a higher risk of extracting undesirable compounds from the grain.
My bad on the confusion. What I meant was that beersmith gives water additons separately for the strike and sparge water but I plan on putting both the strike and sparge water in my hlt and treat it all at once rather than the 2 separate treatments. As far as the lactic acid in the mash, beersmith had an estimated mash ph at around 5.5 (not sure how accurate that will be) after treatment. I added the lactic acid to bring it down just a touch more but that may not even be necessary

Remove both the lactic acid and sodium bicarbonate. Then add back either one to lower or raise the pH if needed.

If you need the sodium bicarbonate to raise the pH, then you're better off using separate additions for mash and sparge.

Remove both the lactic acid and sodium bicarbonate. Then add back either one to lower or raise the pH if needed.

If you need the sodium bicarbonate to raise the pH, then you're better off using separate additions for mash and sparge.
Awesome. Thanks. I guess I didn't dawn on me that the bicarb and acid would basically just be working against each other on the ph. Rookie mistake.

Update. This turned out delicious
1573697794463.jpeg

Back