Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob Mistakes

Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
AmberChris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob Mistakes

Well, I finished my first brew (Amber Ale clone) on Saturday and I have to admit I'm pretty nervous. I came through some small but significant problems. First, was a little bit of scorching. I'd say there was a burn that had like a 5 inch diameter at the bottom after I dumped the wort in the fermentor. In addition, I made the mistake of covering the pot maybe 30 min into the boil and it boiled over. I'm afraid I lost some of the bittering hops. Is my beer gonna taste bit off?

Its monday and fermenting seems to be moving along smoothly, I see bubbling. I just hope my beer doesnt taste like burnt sugar!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

relax don't worry have a beer, in the end it will definitely come out as beer, and since you have no point of reference it will probably taste fine to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm sure it'll be fine. May be a little darker than you expected because of the caramelizing when it burned but should taste fine.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

About 80% of the bittering occurs in the first 30 minutes, so you won't taste any difference in an amber ale.
If you can't taste the scortch in the wort, you won't taste it in the finished beer.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
AmberChris
Recipes 

Sounds like good news guys thanks for the responses!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
histo320
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 16

With my 3rd batch I had the same problem in my kettle, and the beer turned out great! It was a strong stout, and defintely lived up to its name!!!!

Drinking - Craft Brews
Primary - Sweetwater 420 Clone
Up Next - Cream of Three Crops

Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
artyusmc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

good luck with your brew, as I just did my first obrew on friday i feel your concern. Did you sample it prior to pitching the yeast,mine tasted like watery oatmeal. hoping yeast does their jobs. again good luck don't worrry

Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3494 Times on 2387 Posts
Likes Given: 2279

I use a thin stainless pot and get "some" scorching, but it hasn't been a problem yet. Last batch I used a bigger Alum. pot and it worked well with no scorching at all.

As far as covering, not only did you increase the chance of boiling over, you maybe prevented the DMS from being boiled out, so leave the cover off!

Some folks have used a spray bottle with water in it, to knock the foam down at the start of the boil. I've had varying degrees of success with this. Others use a substance that keeps it from foaming in the first place. Never tried that. I usually just watch it and turn the heat down a bit when it starts climbing the sides.

Of course the new larger alum pot is much taller, so I don't really have to worry about it for extract beers.