Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks to a month

Old 12-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
climateboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks to a month

So, I'm sure denizens of this forum have read a number of members extolling the benefits of leaving your beer (ales, at least) in the primary for three weeks to a month, on the yeast. Let me add my name to that list. I just racked a Chimay Red clone (from an AHS partial-mash kit) to my secondary (going to bottle next week) after a month on the yeast and, if I had a keg, it would be ready to carbonate and drink now. It's gorgeous, clear, and tastes just like Chimay. I've had the same experience with the belgian tripel, DeKonnick clone, and Bell's Two-Hearted clone I've made using this method.

Give it a try if you haven't already. And to beginners, this is especially good advice. Just leave it on the yeast for three weeks to a month. You'll be glad you did.

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i agree.

I just transferred a belgian strong (Dutch Castle Magic kit from AHS) to the secondary after about 6 weeks in the primary. The gravity sample tasted delicous, and it dropped from 1.105 to 1.017 (84% attenuation!). I'm planning on letting it age for another month or 2 in secondary, but its going to be hard after how great it tasted.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

In my beginning homebrew guide it said something like "Leave it in the primary for 7-10 days...If you leave it in too long autolysis may occur" That got me paranoid that if I left it in for 11 days then my whole batch would be ruined and that's how I thought for the first couple batches.

Good thing I read other sources and with my last IPA it sat in the primary for 4-5 weeks and is my best batch.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

3+ weeks can definitely make the beer smoother. I also recommend fermenting on the lower end of the temperature scale for the yeast unless it's a beer which requires the funky esters (Belgium etc...).

Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

You guys might want to realize that if you leave you beer in primary for 3-4 weeks, THERE'S REALLY NO NEED to secondary at all....That's the point of leaving it on the yeast cake for so long, the critters clean up after themselves, and clear your beer, even more so than letting gravity do it in the bright tank (secondary).

Then you keg or bottle...

Raking to secondary afterwords is really a waste of time, unless you are bulk aging something like a barleywine for several months, otherwise it really serves no purpose whatsoever, except delaying the time till drinking the beer further than it needs to be.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You guys might want to realize that if you leave you beer in primary for 3-4 weeks, THERE'S REALLY NO NEED to secondary at all....That's the point of leaving it on the yeast cake for so long, the critters clean up after themselves, and clear your beer, even more so than letting gravity do it in the bright tank (secondary).

Then you keg or bottle...

Raking to secondary afterwords is really a waste of time, unless you are bulk aging something like a barleywine for several months, otherwise it really serves no purpose whatsoever, except delaying the time till drinking the beer further than it needs to be.
+1 - what he said

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never used a secondary.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ya I usually leave mine in the primary for 10 days then transfer to secondary for a week and a half to 2 weeks.

http://mvhbc.com/

Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great, another convert! I've always pushed patience.

I even secondary my hefe weizens...then add "some" yeast back into the brew.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
Just my 2 cents worth, but in my opinion, secondarys are for dry hopping.
A good to you all!

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com