Sweet Smelling after transfer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub1427

Reaction score
So my irish red has been in the primary for about a week, no airlock activity, i transfered it over to the carboy and the beer is smelling really really sweet. Should I have left it in the primary for longer... Should I re-pitch some yeast. The FG when I transfered was 1.014 which is fine becasue its just going to sit in the 2ndary for longer. Any thoughts?

sub1427 said:
So my irish red has been in the primary for about a week, no airlock activity, i transfered it over to the carboy and the beer is smelling really really sweet. Should I have left it in the primary for longer... Should I re-pitch some yeast. The FG when I transfered was 1.014 which is fine becasue its just going to sit in the 2ndary for longer. Any thoughts?

1.014 sounds like a 'finished' beer to me. I wouldn't pitch any more yeast or worry about it. Sounds like things are moving along just fine.

Did you happen to TASTE it, or did you only smell it?

Also, what was the actual recipe used?

-walker

But how did it taste? You did drink the gravity sample and take notes? Knowing a sweet smelling ale doesn't always taste sweet is one more bit of experience. Extra time in the clearing tank won't hurt.

yeah it tasted a little sweet.... nothing rediculous though, I'll drink it. Another thing that happened was it took a WHILE to get a full boil going even though I was using a 3 gal pot.... I'm talking about 40 minutes so could that have an effect on the outcome? causing it to be more sweet?

I'd be curious to see the recipe, as well. If it's an authentic Irish red it should be sweet (in the malty way)...they're not hopped much at all. If it's an American amber/red, then I'd expect it to be a bit more bitter.

sub1427 said:
Another thing that happened was it took a WHILE to get a full boil going even though I was using a 3 gal pot.... I'm talking about 40 minutes so could that have an effect on the outcome? causing it to be more sweet?

Are you an extract brewer or all-grain?

If extract: Did you add the exract BEFORE getting the water to a boil or after?

Back