Exhaust fan for indoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Help, need a quick answer. What is a good vent for the boil kettle, for indoor use? I have a Pantry room I am brewing in and an electrician is installing a vent for me. So this goes straight up to the roof which is only a few feet above the BK. I am trying to find a small but powerful enough powered vent, to push out the roof there.

Any advice on what you have? Names helpful as I can look up on amazon.

Thanks!

iPower GLFANXINLINE6 High CFM Inline Ducting Fan, Hydroponic Air Blower Heat Air Conditioning Vent Exhaust, 6-Inch, 442 CFM; Pre-wired 5-feet UL Listed Power Cord

This is what I use and I'll be honest. It's just OK. After 60 min boil its struggling....

When I do it AGAIN I'll look for something about 2x the power!

Other than that I cant be much help

Cheers
Jay

I did this recently also. There is a thread somewhere here about this topic. The recommendation that came us was this one which I bought on Amazon: Vortex Powerfans VTX600 Vortex 449 CFM Powerfan, 6"

Also bought a fan speed controller for it, but really just run it full blast. Works pretty well, have no complaints other then I get some drips in the ducting when used at a full boil.

Awesome. I am gonna purchase that vortex fan now. I still need to get some flexibility ducting and a roof or wall mount for exterior venting, right?

That is my biggest complaint. It doesn't have enough power to actually rid itself of the condensation mine almost floods with water.

I think if I had it outside at the END of the run I wouldn't care that much but it drips in my brewery towards the end of the boil. FORGET about back to back batches! It would be totally flooded!

Go BIG! go REAL BIG!

You will wish you did!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jaybird. I just read a thread on dripping. I will install the fan near the wall/hole, insulate some flexibility ducting, and probably play with where I put the hood. The ceiling is slop
ed so easy for me to start the suction at a higher point in the ceiling joists past where the BK is. And maybe I will pick up a bigger fan...lol.

I did this recently also. There is a thread somewhere here about this topic. The recommendation that came us was this one which I bought on Amazon: Vortex Powerfans VTX600 Vortex 449 CFM Powerfan, 6"

Also bought a fan speed controller for it, but really just run it full blast. Works pretty well, have no complaints other then I get some drips in the ducting when used at a full boil.

I bought this very fan. It's recommended by the Electric Brewery. I am not disappointed at all. I barely have moisture on my hood after the boil, next to nothing. I have the fan closer to the vent than the hood (about a 5 foot distance total). Just my experience.

Back