Need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leommarisio

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post in this forum but a good reader, I got all the info i need from here (actually I have the app in my phone). So, I juiced the apples (and a few strawberries), pour the juice into a carboy and pitched with saison yeast (rehydrated and activated with a little of apple juice). 48 hours latter and nothing, not a single bubble, just a layer of yeast on top of the juice. I used k-meta to avoid wild yeasts and oxidación. What can I do? Still waiting? Pitch again? Throw it out and start over?

Did you wait between adding k-meta and pitching your yeast? K-meta inhibits yeast growth, most people seem to recommend waiting 12-24 hours after you dose with k-meta to add yeast.

Yes. I waited like 15-17 hours. Yesterday and today have been a very cold days and my homebrew room is at 60-66*F...is it too cold for saison yeast?

It can take a while for what is called the lag time to end and the yeast to actively begin fermenting... but counting bubbles is not a reliable way to determine whether anything is going on. There can be poor seals between the bung and the carboy and between the bung and the airlock. The reliable way to determine if any active fermentation is proceeding is to measure the gravity to look for a change - In other words, a drop in specific gravity.

Yeast nutrient would have helped. And I've never used a saison yeast but it seems they like much warmer temperatures according to some Google I did.

Edit: And 15-17 hrs is short after adding sulfite. The one time I did that I had no activity for 2 days and ended up repitching my yeast.

So, I repitched and wait for another day (yesterday) and just today (21-10-2016) is fermenting but now the juice has a caramel brown color. Does it change the taste too?

So, I repitched and wait for another day (yesterday) and just today (21-10-2016) is fermenting but now the juice has a caramel brown color. Does it change the taste too?

The darkened color is natural as the juice will oxidize shortly after being pressed. The flavor doesn't change appreciably.

Back