Blending Xylitol or Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taleman

Reaction score
Hey, I've been thinking about using lactose or xylitol to back sweeten my meads. How is this generally done. I mean how do you blend it with the mead? Is it the same as with sugar? Boil in water and then mix into mead? How much water?

Umm... this is the cider forum. And to that end, I have used xylitol to sweeten my ciders if I'm going to bottle carbonate them. It mixes in just like sugar, just stir until dissolved. I suppose mixing in boiled water might dissolve it easier but I've never bothered. It'll raise SG pretty much the same as sugar does, so it's easy to bring to the desired sweetness level. About 3 TBSP per gallon works for me.

Umm... this is the cider forum. And to that end, I have used xylitol to sweeten my ciders if I'm going to bottle carbonate them. It mixes in just like sugar, just stir until dissolved. I suppose mixing in boiled water might dissolve it easier but I've never bothered. It'll raise SG pretty much the same as sugar does, so it's easy to bring to the desired sweetness level. About 3 TBSP per gallon works for me.

Thanks, thats what I needed to know. Also I posted this in the beginner forum. Not sure why It got moved to cider forum.

Back