Better taste in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
I made a one gallon batch of cider not too long ago and fermented it dry, carbonated it, etc. Some people love the taste, but most want it to have a bit more sweetness to it. I have a pineapple cider, mixed berry cider, and an apple ginger cider that im about to syphon over to a secondary. How should i go about sweetening the batches?

If you want to carbonate it sweet, it has to be kegged, or done with non-fermentable sweeteners or xylitol.

Now i have a half gallon jug of simple syrup which on the nutrition label, states it has potassium sorbate in it. Would that work?

There may not be enough K-sorb in the syrup to prevent all the yeast in your cider from reproducing, so you may want to be confident that you have essentially no viable yeast left, then add k-sorbate and k-meta and then add sweetener...

You could sweeten it with something like splenda(yuck) or stevia. Then you can still bottle carb it with sugar. There's also xylitol, and I don't know how lactose does in cider, but it's nonfermentable.

Easiest way is to sweeten in the glass. I make a simple syrup with honey. One part honey, one part water, bring to boil, let cool, put in a squeeze bottle. Pour your cider, sweeten to taste. Not bad.

I have used xylitol with good results. I ferment dry and then sweeten with a simple syrup mixture before bottling. I also added 10ml/0.5l bottle of priming sugar solution to get a good level of carbonation.

Also, it was hard for me to imagine but the taste improves a lot over time. If you have the patience to simply let it sit you will find that it becomes more smooth.

Finally, I experimented with a simple syrup at serving time this past weekend and that is also a great option. I made holunder syrup ( I think they are elder flower in English) and that was really nice.

I have a load of bottles of sucralose to backsweeten extra dry cider. I only use a little squirt per bottle, and it sweetens it up. Too much and it becomes medicinally sweet, like a kids liquid tylenol.

Latest posts

Back