Cider/Green Apple after primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abandonhope16

Reaction score
I just kegged a batch that had a cider/green apple smell when transferring to the keg. It was in the primary for 3 weeks. Keg has been in the fridge for about 12 hours, should I pull it out and leave at room temp for a couple weeks or just leave in the fridge? OG 1.049 finished at 1.012.
Thanks all.

What yeast did you use and what type of beer is it? I know the green apple smell can sometimes be a byproduct of the yeast.

Is there a green apple flavor as well or just odor?

Sounds like Acetaldehyde. Could be byproduct from the yeast or from underpitching, could be the batch is still too young and needs to condition.

Safale 05. 2row and a little crystal 40. There was a slight taste, but the smell was more pronounced.
Since its already in the fridge, I'm wondering if its better to leave it there to condition or if it makes more sense to get it back to room temp to condition. Thanks.

Back