Anyone using these filters for water filtering & beer filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VZ2O0Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am trying to find the 3/4 inch Male NPT to 1/2 inch barb but so far have been unable to locate that specific piece.

Was thinking of using one with a charcoal filter for the water. Then on the beer side of things using one with a 5 micron filter tied to one with a 1 micron filter to transfer between two kegs after letting things settle.

Anyone used this setup?

Was going to use ball locks to transfer from one keg to the next with co2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found SS 3/4" to 1/2" reducing nipples thru Amazon. I got 2 for my filter. I put a male camlock on the inlet and a ball valve with male camlock on the outlet.
View attachment 1466940623783.jpg

The reducing nipples came from China but it arrived within a week from ordering.

Bargain Fittings carries 3/4" bushings that accept 1/2" male barbs.

Will a little bit of CGAC remove some of the chlorine from a very slow flow of water? Sure. But...

Carbon blocks offer an economical and far superior option.

Russ

It depends on the size. Typically, absolute max flow is:
10" x 2.5": 1 gpm
20" x 2.5": 2 gpm
10" x 4.5": 3 gpm
20" x 4.5": 6 gpm.

I recommend you manage typical flows to be half those rates.

GAC cartridges are really yesterday's news. Blocks are a far superior product.

Sure - all you're doing is increasing the amount of media (GAC) through which the water is passing.

Multiple carbon blocks are better than multiple GAC filters

The typical solution to get higher flows is to go with larger carbon blocks. Especially in situations where pressure loss is undesirable. You'll lose a few psi for every block.

Back