steeping oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
do i have to buy oats for brewing, or can u just steep regular old run of the mill quaker oats. and if u can use ouaker can u use minute oats, or does that make a difference? thanks for any help

You can steep oats. If you buy quick oats (or minute oats, or flaked oats, however they may be labeled) you can steep them directly. If you buy whole oats you will need to cook them first (make oatmeal) before you steep them.

Don't you cook oats by boiling them? Could you just boil the oats in your steeping water for how ever long, then let the water cool to the steeping temp? Or add water to cool it to the steeping temp?

Jesse17 said:
Don't you cook oats by boiling them? Could you just boil the oats in your steeping water for how ever long, then let the water cool to the steeping temp? Or add water to cool it to the steeping temp?
Yup you could certainly do that too (I would probably do the latter). When I was doing extract batches on my crappy apartment stove though it would take forever so once the oats were cooking I'd start heating my steeping water. I just make sure to buy quick oats though, cooking oatmeal is an annoying extra step.

Back