Water bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surista

Reaction score
Our tap water here in London is a bit hard for our tastes, so we get water home-delivered in 19l bottles.

According to the bottom of the bottle, these bottles are 'copolyester', and the symbol - the 'resin identification code' - is a triangle with a seven in the center, which I think means 'other resins'.

Anyone have any idea if these could be used, perhaps as secondary fermenters etc?

These refer to a code with a 7 inside a triangle

Here's what the mayo clinic says:

Seek out BPA-free products. More and more BPA-free products have come to market. Look for products labeled as BPA-free. If a product isn't labeled, keep in mind that some, but not
all, plastics marked with recycle codes 3 or 7 may be made with BPA.

Here's another reference for the recycle code 7 :

Mixed Plastics

Products marked with resin code 7 are made with mixed plastics. Some recycling programs accept mixed plastics, although they are not commonly recycled. (See References 2) Code 7 resins may contain bisphenol A, which the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences believes can cause effects on the brains and nervous systems of fetuses, infants and children, among other effects. It is probably wise for pregnant women and children to avoid these containers. (See References 3)

So really we can't be sure. You'd think that they would give you drinking water in a safe container but I wouldn't trust any bureaucracy as far as I could throw it.

Back