Wanting a quick turnaround American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
I'm looking to have an American Brown Ale kegged and ready by Saturday, Oct 17. Ill be brewing tomorrow, so no time for a starter. I'm aware of the mild ales that were brewed within 10 days, but was looking for something more.

I was thinking something like a Moose Drool clone, but really don't want the fruity esters of Wyeast 1968 or the WLP002 (or the high attenuation); so I really dont know which yeast to use. I know the 1968 and 002 flocs very well which would be great for a quick brew, but again don't want the fruitiness. I really don't want to use dry yeast either.

I'll be doing a 2.25 gallon batch, and will probably just pitch two vials of yeast since I cant do a starter. I expect the OG to be between 1.050 and 1.055.

Is this doable?
Any recommendations on a quick/high floc/low ester/clean yeast?
What about the Moose Drool (or a lower ABV Janets Brown) with WLP001?
Any other thoughts?

You didn't mention it but I assume you're kegging. Do vitality starter as suggested and give it a go. It's doable but may be slightly short for a 1050 beer. With the short time frame you have probably made up your mind to do it anyway.

Yes,I would be kegging.

In looking around, it seems I would be pushing it with an og of 1.05-1.055. I guess I could do a mild towards the high end (1.038, maybe 1.04). Ill probably take Orfys and scale it up.

I was wanting to avoid notty and s05 bc it always seemed I would get fruity esters from both of them. I don't know why, I fermented on low end (60F). Maybe an underpitch?

Plenty of time. My brown is in the 1.050's and it finishes in 10 days. That includes the ramp up and then the crash.

So, I think Ill go with the original brown ale. Its a version of the Moose Drool Clone.

I'm going with the WLP007 which looks to be a more attenuative version of 002. Flocs very well, little esters, quick, and similar to 002.

Ill use the quick yeast vitality starter mentioned above using 2 vials of yeast. The Best Before date is Nov 30, so four months before that is the Born On, which is July 30. One vial would be about 52 Billion cells and I need over 86 Billion. So I'll throw 2 vials into a 750 mL 1.035 starter (75 grams DME into 750 mL water).

2.25 Gallon Batch with 78% Efficiency BIAB

3.6 lb 2-Row (US) Any Mash 37 1 °L (84.41%)
0.5 lb Caramel/Crystal 80L (US) Any Mash 33 80 °L (11.72%)
0.15 lb Chocolate (US) Any Mash 29 350 °L (3.52%)
0.02 lb Black Patent (UK) Any Mash 27 525 °L (0.35%)

0.7 oz East Kent Golding (UK) 60 min Boil Pellet 4.8%
0.3 oz Williamette (US) 10 min Boil Pellet 4.5%
0.3 oz Liberty (US) 0 min Boil Pellet 5.0%

OG=1.054
FG = 1.013
IBU = 31
SRM = 21
ABV = 5%

I'm late to the party but for future reference, Jamils Dirty Water Brown is an excellent American brown that can be turned around pretty quickly.

Back