Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Briess or Muntons
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Originally Posted by wizardofwoz View Post
I am looking to buy a 50# bag myself... Can I ask where you found that price from?
Place was north country malt. However - they recently changed their policy about selling to homebrewers because they just acquired brewers best, or some company similar in name. Anyway, they told me if I had bought from them before I would have been able to still buy, but they are not taking on any new homebrew customers, only commercial ones. See this post, I was trying to see if I could get somebody to pal up for a group buy.

Perhaps someone on these forums who shopped from them in the past and would be willing to help us out?

Lots of lookers but no replies. This extract cost is killing me!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Briess has a higher sugar content than Muntons. To see for yourself, build a recipe using hopville. A balanced recipe with Muntons will be unbalanced when you swap it for Briess. I prefer Muntons because you have more flexibility to convert more sugars from grain if doing a partial mash.
I'm pretty sure hopville is wrong on this: I noticed the other day when I built a recipe with Briess, but the LHBS only had Munton's. So I bought it, and everything changed in hopville. I noticed that it lists the PPG for Munton's at something like 35. I asked a few people, read around, and any kind of DME should provide around 45 PPG. Changing the default PPG value fixed the gravity values for the recipe.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 426 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Tasting Briess vs Muntons (I have both on hand), Briess is def more sugary. Muntons is dryer and more biscuity.