Salted .. Chipotle Stout? Help & Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synap6

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I could use help fine-tuning my recipe to try and meet these two ideas. You might and probably should flame me for this, but I keep things simple with 2 gallon batches & no OG/FG readings (yes yes, i've just ordered a refractometer).

1) Anyways, here's the scenario:

I tasted a wonderful beer at Funky Buddha Brewery in FLA, called Cabotage, an imperial porter brewed with cocoa, smoked habanero peppers and somehow... sea salt! Delicious, to say the least. I also fell on BasicBrewing's video of their Molé Stout, calling for a cacao nibs + vanilla + cinnamon + ancho chilli. Sounds mouth!watering!

I've been trying to find a middle ground between these two styles.

2) Here's my recipe (scaled back up to 5gallons for your convenience), which is currently fermenting healthily and could benefit from a little guidance before bottling. Tips are always welcome for the eventual Second Brewing.

10 lbs: Pale Ale 2-row
1 lbs: Chocolate Malt
1 lbs: Crystal Malt 120L
1 lbs: Black Patent
1 lbs: Malted Rye
0.5 lbs: Flakes Oats

0.9oz East Kent Goldings @ 60mins
0.6oz East kent Goldings @ 15mins

Safale US-05

And the eventual dry-hop for one week after fermentation is completed (tips welcome before I actually do it in two weeks)
2 Vanilla Beans
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Chipotle Chilli
60g Cacao nibs
5-10 crushed Blue Mountain coffee beans

--> Any warnings, advice, tweaks for the grain bill + dry-hop spicing? Is this too much or did someone try something similar?

Also, out of curiosity, how could I theoretically get that sea salt taste melded in, should i decide on a future 1-gallon experiment?

Thanks!

I've had some salted chili stouts and they work just fine.

Quick glance: drop the coffee. Add salt 5' from end of boil. How much is up to your personal taste. Have a look at some Gose recipes and see how much is suitable your stout.

Thanks for the reply!
No worries dropping the coffee, but what would it have added/done to the recipe?

My guess it it would clash with the other flavours, muddling the otherwise complementary cocoa/chili/vanilla/cinnamon combo.
Then again, it might just as well work. But salt and coffee is not a combination I see working, and together with all the rest, it's risk I'd rather avoid.

Back