Why love controllers and not stc-1000?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hello, I'm considering an automated propane build and I noticed that people generally use the more expensive love controllers as opposed to the cheap stc-1000s. I've made three keezer conversions with the stc1000 and I don't see why I couldn't use it to control a solenoid. Any thoughts?

STC1000 is a great controller.

The biggest limitation AFAIK is the probe (the lumpy plastic thing rather than a nice screw in probe).

You'll probably get some more technical answers if you put this in the electric brewing forum.

You can get screw in thermocouples that will work with the STC if you don't like the plastic probe. Just have to make sure its the right type, pretty sure its K

You can get screw in thermocouples that will work with the STC if you don't like the plastic probe. Just have to make sure its the right type, pretty sure its K

STC-1000's use thermistor probes, not thermocouples. You can find some info on the proper probe to use here: <deleted> . I thought I had seen some available in thermowells with 1/2" NPT threads, but can't remember where.

Edit: Looks like there might be a lot of misinformation in the thread I posted for reference, so I deleted the link. See this post further down in this thread. I have more faith in the reverse engineered value.

Brew on :mug:

Could you not just press the temp probe into the thermowell? A thermowell is just a hollow cavity right?

I don't know if it fits in a thermowell.

In the electric brewing section there are a few temperature control geniuses....I'll suggest again that you ask your question there.

Why love controllers and not stc-1000?
I give up, why?

This forum is full of STc-1000 users, including myself.

As mentioned above, the STC-1000 uses a thermistor. Specifically, a 10 kOhm NTC thermistor with a beta value of 3435. The linked thread above suggests the beta value is 3470, however when I back calculated from the STC-1000 lookup table it was indeed 3435.

Any thermistor will give a reading but it could be quite inaccurate, especially at temperatures far from 20 C (reference temperature).

Happy brewing.

As mentioned above, the STC-1000 uses a thermistor. Specifically, a 10 kOhm NTC thermistor with a beta value of 3435. The linked thread above suggests the beta value is 3470, however when I back calculated from the STC-1000 lookup table it was indeed 3435.

Any thermistor will give a reading but it could be quite inaccurate, especially at temperatures far from 20 C (reference temperature).

Happy brewing.

Thanks for the information. I edited my previous post to eliminate the link to bad info.

Brew on :mug:

Actually, I posted too soon. I think at the end of that thread it came out that the beta value was 3435, or at least the person bought those thermistors. Lucky them. :)

Anyhoos, glad to be of service.

Happy brewing.

Back