Chiller Recirculation Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
What pumps do people like for recirculating ice water through their immersion chiller?

I've got a 25' copper 3/8" tube chiller but may got to 50' in the future. Any minimum GPH/HP ratings I need to consider? Bonus if I can use the pump for other things down the line like a keg/carboy washer.

And looking to spend as little as possible too of course.

So what are your recommendations?

Like? Well, I'm not sure how much I "like" it, but the one I use, which I think is the 264 GPH Submersible Fountain Pump from Harbor Freight Tools, works for most of my purposes. Right now the website is showing it as on sale for $19 (You might even be able to find a 20% off of any one item coupon--I get them pretty often). Personally, I would like a little more force than this one provides (I have a 50' copper chiller), but it does the trick and I don't see the need to upgrade the pump when this one pretty much works fine. My experience has been fairly similar to the "Most Liked Positive Review" I found on the Harbor Freight Tools website, which states:

I have successfully used this pump for almost a year now. I use it to pump ice water through a cooper coil that is submerged in boiled beer wort. The goal is to cool down the wort from 211 degrees (F) to 70 degrees (F) as quickly as possible so that the required yeast can added and fermentation can begin. This pump effectively keeps the ice water flowing, thus allowing the heat exchange (cooling) to occur. The result is that the beer wort cools to 70 degrees (F) in ~ 25 minutes. The fact that it is submerged in the ice water and performs flawlessly is an added bonus for me and my brews.

As for washing anything with it, I've never tried, so I can't tell you anything useful about that.

I have used the same pump for both purposes. It works well. Although I will say I don't understand the point of a carboy/keg washer after using one. I suppose if I were using glass and didn't want to shake a rag for a few minutes for fear of death then it would be worthwhile.

Great, thanks! So the Harbor Freight pumps actually work. I know their products are crazy hit and miss.

As far as the keg/carboy washer, I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy. So less water and cleaner used for the same amount of effort (zero). That's a down the line thing though, but wanted to make sure I got something that could do both.

I use this PUMP for cleaning carboys, and running ice water through my plate chiller. I have been using it for 3 years now with no issues.

Latest posts

Back