Collecting Culture from My Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerolite

Reaction score
I am a beginner when it comes to wild brewing. Please bear with me on this, I will trying to keep my wording as technically accurate as possible. I would love any comments or concerns you have regarding this process.

So a few weeks ago I decided to see if I could get a yeast/bacteria culture started from my cats (Aerolite and Luna). I was inspired by a few beer blog articles about spontaneous fermentation and wanted to give it a try. Here's my progress so far:

http://i.imgur.com/USH65D2.jpg (First Picture)

I started by preparing two separate 2L batches of wort. I cleaned and sanitized everything as a normally would when brewing.
1. 200g of Pilsner DME with 2L of Drinking Water
2. Boiled for 5 minutes with some Saaz Hops (6 pellets or so each) and a knife edge of yeast nutrient
3. Chilled to about 70 degF
4. Shake Aerated for 5-10 minutes each
5. Pet the back of my cats and balled up the fur.
6. Pitched the cat fur into the jugs and labeled each one after the cat

I waited... and waited... and didn't see much activity at first. A small amount of mold grew on the ball of fur in the "Aerolite" jug on the ball of fur. At this point I was fairly discouraged and didn't think that I was going to get much out of it. It was around day 6 that I posted this album.

http://imgur.com/a/6jiir

Note: The dark masses are the balls of fur. You can't see the small amount of mold that grew on the hairball in the Aerolite jug.

The day after I posted that album the jugs really took off. I saw an amazing Krausen and they churned away for a few days. I went on a week-long work trip and when I came back they were completely done fermenting. I went ahead and tossed the jugs into my keezer to get the bacteria and fungus to settle out.

After crash cooling for a couple days, I set about collecting the sediment for re-pitching. I decanted off the beer and collected the sediment into some sanitized jars. Here are some photos I took during this process:

http://imgur.com/a/WAhlN

I was lucky and the small mold spot stuck to the Aerolite fur ball. This made it easy to avoid collecting the mold in the jar. Both beers and jars... smelled very bready. Maybe a bit funky. My fiance smelled both beers and said they smelled very similar to my normal beer batches (not sure if that's a good sign or not...) I was really happy that I might be getting something cool out of this experiment and wanted to get the next step going.

That evening, I made 2x 1-gallon batches of Pislner DME and Saaz hops wort. I took the 2 Luna jars and 1 Aerolite jar and pitched them into the wort as I would typically do with brewing yeast. All sanitation procedures were done as usual.

Today is day 1 of the second propagation and the jugs are going nuts! Very aggressive fermentation and a nice, fairly normal looking krausen.

I'll take some pictures of the jugs when I get home from work and post them in this thread.

My plans are to do this one or two more times and then hopefully try it in a batch intended for consumption.

My questions for you are:
  • What are some style options that would be suited for a beer with this sour/wild culture?
  • Is there a place I could send this to get tested for potability?
  • Should I worry about tasting it after a couple rounds of propagation?

jim-carrey-puking-o.gif

Oh cool! Maybe I can learn from what they did. I'm not sure what you're referring to though. Do you have a link or more information to help me find that thread/article?

Haha, that's pretty great. I've never messed much with sour/wild styles, but I would try them both in a very simple wort, maybe all base grain, something around 1.050 and very minimally hopped, not unlike your starter, so you can really determine the expression of your yeast and bugs. I expect you'll want to plan on aging these for awhile?

Haha, that's pretty great. I've never messed much with sour/wild styles, but I would try them both in a very simple wort, maybe all base grain, something around 1.050 and very minimally hopped, not unlike your starter, so you can really determine the expression of your yeast and bugs. I expect you'll want to plan on aging these for awhile?

Sounds good! I was initially nervous to do that because I wanted to mask any potential off-flavors. But I'll never know if there even are any if I cover it up!

Do you think it'd be dangerous to chance a sip?

Hey!

http://imgur.com/a/VidBd

Just thought I'd toss this album in the thread as an update. Got home from work today to find the counter covered in delicious fermenting goo. It has an interesting consistency (perhaps gooey from pediococcus). So I may need to throw in some brett.

Can anyone voice from experience using that to clean up after pedio? I read in a couple blogs that it can be used to do just that.

Other than that it smells amazing. Very similar to a pilsner urquell clone that I have lagering. Less sulphuric though. More bready/funky.

it probably wouldn't be dangerous. did you take og/fg readings? if the abv is high enough then no pathogen can survive in it.

I didn't take an OG reaading, but should be able to calculate it pretty easily. 320g of DME and maybe 0.8 gallons of water-ish.

I'll make sure to take and FG when it's done. I'm mainly just nervous about the one that had a tiny spot of mold. But it stopped growing and I avoided collecting it before repitching.

all right, og is about 1.038. by the looks of it from those pics its going to ferment out well. no pathogens to worry about. mold wont hurt you either. mold wont taste great, but it wont hurt you.

all right, og is about 1.038. by the looks of it from those pics its going to ferment out well. no pathogens to worry about. mold wont hurt you either. mold wont taste great, but it wont hurt you.

Good news! Is there any rule of thumb for finding a yeasts temperature range? Or will I just need to experiment with different temperatures until I find one that works?

Hey!

http://imgur.com/a/VidBd

Just thought I'd toss this album in the thread as an update. Got home from work today to find the counter covered in delicious fermenting goo. It has an interesting consistency (perhaps gooey from pediococcus). So I may need to throw in some brett.

Can anyone voice from experience using that to clean up after pedio? I read in a couple blogs that it can be used to do just that.

Other than that it smells amazing. Very similar to a pilsner urquell clone that I have lagering. Less sulphuric though. More bready/funky.

I wouldn't judge the character of a beer based on the blowoff/krausen. I think all krausen is going to be kind of 'gooey'.

Let it ride. If it ends up being a dumper, all you've wasted is some DME and cat spit.

This is the most awful thread ever. Krausen blowoff and cats and the artistic expression of a woman's vagina should never have been put together in one place (least of all in my mind).

I hope your cat beer turns out. I'm going to go try to think about something completely different.

Oooh... not quite what I was expecting. That's an interesting variation on the traditional brewing process. I wonder if it really impacted the flavor of the beer. I'll stick with getting my friends to try cat beer first before I start making untoward requests of my fiance in the spirit of brewing.

And please let us know how many people stop being your friend afterwards.

OP: Based on @Genghis 's tagline, "Will drink beer for food," he may be a willing guinea pig if you offer up some food with your cat beer...;)

Well, I'm allergic to cats, so chalk up a big ol' NOPE for me.

But in the spirit of experimentation, good luck to ya. Sub'd.

This needs an article - a well written article, properly punctuated, and grammatically correct article.

...with pictures of course......

But not phone pictures... Color corrected photos at a minimum resolution of 300 PPI.

This thread has inspired me. I'm going to tape a bunch of agar plates to my cat and send it outside to see what wild yeast it comes back with. I'll call it Remote Yeast Wrangling

Also...I know the name is already taken in the recipe section, but if you don't name this "The Cat's A$$", you're doing us all a disservice. :cross:

Didn't Rogue do a Beard Beer? I, of course, keep my beard immaculate. I did not once find a Cheeze-It in my beard about 6 hours after eating lunch. Others are not so meticulous though.

You can have all of my nopes. I'd try the vagina beer though, lord knows it wouldn't be the first time I had that kind of yeast in my mouth :drunk:

Cant possible taste any worse than what you pick up at "last call". Or maybe that is just my experience!

This thread has me going back and forth between gagging and laughing.

None for me, no, no, no no...
I am just going to sit back and observe!

lSVL6vdhdZVPW.gif

Back