unwanted high gravity of a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
I just brewed a canyon cream stout.. The gravity came in a 1.065 after I had topped it off to slightly over 5 gallons.

was something along the lines of
16 ounces of specialty grains @ 170F for 30 min
6 pounds of liquid malt extract @ T60 mins
1.5oz Kent Golding @ T60 mins
4 ounces of lactose @ T10 Mins
.5oz Kent golding @ T10 mins

Yeast S-04

With my refractometer i got just shy of 1.065

Seems slightly high, their was no good directions with the kit besides the hop schedule so i did what I thought was best. Is the lactost kicking up the gravity a bit or what?

how much was the top off? it can be pretty hard to get it to mix really, really well to get a perfect OG reading after top off. it's best to measure it before you top off, and then use a calculator to figure out how much you should top off with in order to hit your OG. if you have beersmith there is one of these tools already in the software.

Yeah, I think I over think things. Top off was about 3/4 gallon. I mean with an extract kit I can't really over shot a gravity since sugars aren't being converted. In future I'll take pre top of gravity and then calculate top off

i use the method of checking before top off and then using the calculator that's in beersmith. it's always accurate according to what beersmith anticipated with my recipe in the first place. you would think that by now i would just trust that beersmith is accurate when it calculates my recipe, but i guess i just like reassurance with each brew.

You did not say the volume.

At 5 gallons, that will be about 1.047. No way it is 1.065.

Back