American Stout Rhinestone Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a "short kit" for brewing Rhinestone Carboy, just add 12lb (or more) base malt of your choice.

AG brewers get attached to working with certain base malts and I know I'd start brewing kits if they were available like this. Also saves on shipping especially when ordering multiple kits. HB retailers could offer recipe short kits, with optional hops kit and yeast.
20220107_211148.jpg

I backed off to 8oz kilnsmith since I upped the CaraMunich in my kit recipe to 8oz... First brew day using my Unibrau grain basket, totally exceeded my target OG ending up with 1.070, despite the fact that I fly sparged with an extra gallon of boiling water BOOM!

This is a "short kit" for brewing Rhinestone Carboy, just add 12lb (or more) base malt of your choice.

AG brewers get attached to working with certain base malts and I know I'd start brewing kits if they were available like this. Also saves on shipping especially when ordering multiple kits. HB retailers could offer recipe short kits, with optional hops kit and yeast.
View attachment 754887
I like that idea since a lot of brewers bulk buy base malt but may not do the same with specialty malts.

Kegged this beer on Saturday; 36 hours on 60psi @34f, then rested a day before bleeding off excess pressure and connecting to 11psi serving pressure. Pours a smooth pint with a tan head that sticks around; the additions of kilnsmith and 60L crystal transformed this recipe into something like a Guinness Extra Stout but even more rounded malt richness. Photos coming soon.

Last edited:
It's only been on gas since last weekend but it already tastes really good, no 'green' flavor and the head is nice and dense. Very happy with the Kilnsmith addition and with the Denny's Favorite strain. Might be the best stout I've ever brewed and perfect for St. Paddy's day shenanigans. Ordering a creamer nozzle for my intertap right now...

20220303_151951.jpg

Last edited:
Reading back through the thread I forgot that I was going to add whiskey-soaked oak to this latest batch. The beer turned out really good, but its already kegged and fully carbonated. I know better than to open it up and drop anything in there, which would result in a beer geyser.

Plan A is to sanitize another keg, add the whiskey-soaked oak chips in a hop sock, and then purge a couple of times with CO2 before pushing the beer over with a jumper across the liquid out posts. Sounds simple enough, relieve excess pressure from the receiving keg before connecting the jumper, then use a few PSI on the first keg, venting the PRV on the second keg as transfer progresses to moderate the flow speed.
Pros: I can easily add whatever I want into the second keg.
Cons: Can't pull the oak after a few weeks, only option would be to transfer off the oak into another keg.

Plan B would be to heavily infuse some whiskey with oak and then add only the whiskey to the keg. How to add it into the beer without introducing oxygen? Put the oak-infused whiskey in a soda bottle with carb cap, purge/pressurize, then inject it through the gas post with a jumper.
Pros: Easier! Fewer steps and less risk of infection, and no worries about over-oaking.
Cons: Having to pull sufficient oak flavor out of the chips to flavor the whole 5 gallons, which is a crap shoot. Of course I could always add more if needed.

Last edited:
This sounds so good! Im in the process of rebuilding an old house… It’ll be a few months before I can get back to brewing. Drinking commercial beer is getting old.

I brewed another batch of RC stout yesterday, this time I did a partial mash; 3lbs Briess pale malt plus the specialty grain "short kit" @155 for 30 minutes, then topped up to pre-boil vol and boiled for 60 adding two cans of extra light LME during the last 15 minutes. Also had a crazy idea to use all Citra hops; half an ounce at 60, then an ounce at 20 and another ounce with two minutes left to boil. Due to my garage being 90f in August, I went with Lutra Kveik from Omega, and it's going like gangbusters.

I brewed another batch of RC stout yesterday, this time I did a partial mash; 3lbs Briess pale malt plus the specialty grain "short kit" @155 for 30 minutes, then topped up to pre-boil vol and boiled for 60 adding two cans of extra light LME during the last 15 minutes. Also had a crazy idea to use all Citra hops; half an ounce at 60, then an ounce at 20 and another ounce with two minutes left to boil. Due to my garage being 90f in August, I went with Lutra Kveik from Omega, and it's going like gangbusters.
Don't forget the oak this time. :p

Well ****, the lutra kveik I pitched was a bit old and didn't kick off, by the time I managed to get a fresh pouch to pitch 24 hours later I thought I saw a wispy tendril or two of funk starting up. Now that it's had four days to finish out, btw the kraeusen never rose more than an inch, the bubbling continues at a slow steady pace and I'm smelling Brett character from the bubble jar. Is there something I can do now or just suck it up and accept the fact that my 66th batch is my first real infection?

Pulled a foamy sample today, no off taste!!! Infection could be all in my mind, tasted like a dry Irish stout, sorry @bruce_the_loon I got distracted by the appearance of infection and forgot to add the oak!

I've got one "short kit" of Rhinestone Carboy left and I'm planning to brew it soon so it has plenty of time to mature, will definitely add an oak spiral to that batch.

Time to order three more short kits I guess! I love this beer!!!

Side note: my partial mash adaptation turned out almost exactly like the AG original; I added a few pounds of pale malt to the mash for conversion, and added the LME late in the boil. All Citra this time yielded a crisp stout that I am very happy with.

Also, the Lutra yeast fermented very clean in my hot summer garage. Actually I kinda miss the soft esters of Denny's Favorite, this is almost lager-like. Its crisp enough that it has me thinking about keg hopping.

Last edited:
Latest batch is drinking really nice. I'll post some sweet sweet pourn this weekend.

In the meantime I spent some weirdly quality time with an AI image engine trying to come up with some beer label ideas for Rhinestone Carboy. I played with various style prompts; poster, ad, label, as well as styles like art deco, art nouveau, mid-century modern, etc. I even went north korea for a minute, just the tip, just for a second, just to see how it feels.

Below is a smorgasbord of AI output....

3664524817_Mid_century_beer_label_with_cowboy.png
3929728262_Art_deco_beer_label_with_cowboy.png
1852575110_A_beer_label_with_cowboy_and_horse.png
885116761_A_mid_century_beer_photo.png
2348937777_A_mid_century_beer_label.png
675086554_A_mid_century_beer_label.png
1100920865_An_art_nouveau_beer_poster_with_blimps.png
2534490071_An_art_nouveau_dark_beer_poster_with_blimps.png
547916587_An_art_deco_dark_beer_poster_with_blimps.png
1008420891_An_art_deco_dark_beer_poster_with_airplanes.png
577153152_An_art_deco_dark_beer_poster_with_city_lights.png