Apple Port?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwagur

Reaction score
This may just be a silly thought, but has anyone ever heard of making a port-style apple cider by adding either apple jack or apple eau de vie to a partially fermented cider to stop fermentation? Possibly aging on wood chips or adding a sherry flor in secondary? I don't really see why it couldn't be done, especially if you added additional sugar to the juice or did it with a cyser, but I don't really know if it SHOULD be done :drunk:

Anyway, I might try it on a small batch of cider some time. Maybe.

Yes, it's called Pommeau, traditionally from the cider regions of northern France. A few commercial examples exist in the US as well.

Made one a few years ago with a combination of bittersweets and sharps blended with (legally distilled) apple brandy aged 3 years in french oak. 17% ABV. Freaking delicious.

What about something more similar to an apple sherry? With a secondary fermentation using flor.

Never heard of a fortified flor cider, shouldn't be to difficult though.

A lower ABV, say, 14-15% would probably allow for flor to develop.

Back