Splice off of an existing 30 Amp run?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorcoach

Reaction score
Hi all-

I am looking to add a 30 AMP outlet for electric brewing. I have room in my panel to run another 30 amp circuit but was also wondering if I could splice off of my existing 30 amp run for my dryer. There is a junction box for the dryer run close to where I need my new outlet to be. Obviously I know that I could not run both at the same time and would have to take preventative measures to make sure this did not happen - tis there some type of switch I could install to differentiate between the dryer run and Brewhouse run?

I would also be installing a spa panel before the new 30 Amp outlet to give me GFCI protection at the kettle outlet.

Being able to do this would save me the cost of about 60 feet of 10/2 or 10/3 wire, wouldn't have to put in another 30 amp 2 pole breaker and save me that space in my panel.

Would have to make sure to unplug the dryer before brew day and could turn off the breaker at the spa panel to make sure it does not run unintentionally. Uninstall the run to the junction box if we ever move.

Does this sound logical? Feasible? Stoooopid?

Thanks,:drunk:

It doesn't sound stupid to me, but having the knowledge that you can only run one at a time should be enough.

Either way, just adding a double pole double throw switch in line with the dryer and gfci panel should do the trick.

Hi all-

I am looking to add a 30 AMP outlet for electric brewing. I have room in my panel to run another 30 amp circuit but was also wondering if I could splice off of my existing 30 amp run for my dryer. There is a junction box for the dryer run close to where I need my new outlet to be. Obviously I know that I could not run both at the same time and would have to take preventative measures to make sure this did not happen - tis there some type of switch I could install to differentiate between the dryer run and Brewhouse run?

I would also be installing a spa panel before the new 30 Amp outlet to give me GFCI protection at the kettle outlet.

Being able to do this would save me the cost of about 60 feet of 10/2 or 10/3 wire, wouldn't have to put in another 30 amp 2 pole breaker and save me that space in my panel.

Would have to make sure to unplug the dryer before brew day and could turn off the breaker at the spa panel to make sure it does not run unintentionally. Uninstall the run to the junction box if we ever move.

Does this sound logical? Feasible? Stoooopid?

Thanks,:drunk:

A cheap way is to get a small sub panel, run the 30a feed to the lugs, put a thermal 30a and a GFCI 30a in there and use that as a transfer switch, to interlock it you can use some small dia all thread and install in the handles of the breaker

I'd say make up an extention cord to run out to your brew set up. Un plug the drier and plug In the brew while needed, then roll up your cord when you are done...at least that way your not dealing with permits or altering your wiring to the house. Otherwise I would just pull a dedicated gfI circuit from your panel to your brew station... Just keep it safe either way you do it :)

Also keep in mind your panels load calculations... make sure your not overloading your service and that the load is balanced...

Definitely not to code. Make sure you can remove if ever wanting to sell house.
If you are pulling a permit for this, you will have to run a separate circuit.

I'd just wire in that second receptacle and the GFCI. Leave a tag, label or something to remind you not to run both.

The breaker will remind you if you forget. ;)

'da Kid

+1. I don't think there's any code violation by just putting another receptacle on your dryer circuit. If this is something that would require an inspection in your area, I would run it by your inspector just to be sure. The cheapest way to add GFCI after that would be to put in a cord and plug connected spa panel to run power to your brewery.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to get the conjugation of the verb "to be" down pat before attempting electrical theory.

I'd say make up an extention cord to run out to your brew set up. Un plug the drier and plug In the brew while needed, then roll up your cord when you are done...at least that way your not dealing with permits or altering your wiring to the house. Otherwise I would just pull a dedicated gfI circuit from your panel to your brew station... Just keep it safe either way you do it :)

Also keep in mind your panels load calculations... make sure your not overloading your service and that the load is balanced...

This is what I do for my brew setup. I actually ran the lines for an electric dryer plug(which... I don't have) but made a lot of sense to have the option there and my brewery is the laundry room so it all sort of fits nicely.

Definitely use the 4 prong plugs though.

Back