Whole Leaf vs. Pellet Hops: Dry Hop | xBmt Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great experiment and I'm glad I read through. My initial takeaway is dry hopping with leaf is indeed better if you're going to be able to get to drinking instantly and within a week or two...two being on the very long end I think. For me, I was immediately thinking about my hop inventory and what leaf hops I could buy that I use most. However, my beers last at least a full month, at the very shortest end of their life. It depends upon how much I love the beer and how much I give away. I usually give beers away in 32 and 64 ounce quantities at a time. The conclusion is that I can probably get through my hop inventory as I was before reading this, but if I isolate a few hops I do use most during dry-hopping, it would be beneficial to at least have them on hand.

Also, as a man who I believe is a very well respected guy in the home brewing community, it was interesting to see the troubles you had during your brew day. Perhaps knowing that someone with your experience can have bad days will make my bad brew days seem slightly more acceptable. Or maybe I need to try Kate the Great (good luck with that) and brew it...perhaps that was the winning ticket to turn your day around!

Thanks again for publishing another neat experiment.

Thanks, as always! Your blog is one of my favs. Real experiments like yours keep this hobby moving forward. Your recent post where you compared two of the 'same' yeast strains from different manufacturers was one of my favorites.

Also, as a man who I believe is a very well respected guy in the home brewing community, it was interesting to see the troubles you had during your brew day. Perhaps knowing that someone with your experience can have bad days will make my bad brew days seem slightly more acceptable. Or maybe I need to try Kate the Great (good luck with that) and brew it...perhaps that was the winning ticket to turn your day around!

Actually I was the one who screwed up my brew day for this experiment, not brulosopher. So his brewing reputation remains untarnished =)
Definitely recommend brewing kate the great, the recipe here on HBT I believe is direct from the brewery and, well, great!

Great read! I've been giving this topic some deep thought over the past week or two considering a have a freezer of whole leaf still. Is there any risk of contaminating a beer using whole leaf (dried, vacuum sealed, stored in a freezer) over commercially packaged pellet?

I think the subjectivity greatly depends on the freshness of the hops. It's not that one is better than the other. It's which hops have the fresher preserved compounds.

There are conflicting results on this topic and other experiments have been done in the past.

I'm a pellet fan. IPAs are the majority of what I brew and aside from personally noticing greater aroma from pellets, they are also easier to dryhop with. The problem with using pellets for IPAs is that the quality of the hop is more difficult to inspect when pulverized in pellet form vs. whole leaf. And there is a greater chance that you will get older pellet hops than older leaf hops.

Whole hops can have as much as 70% more myrcene than pellets of the same variety, but that difference is flipped when the wort is hopped as only 5% of myrcene is extracted from whole hops compared to 17% from pellets.

Total Oil Content and Myrcene % is key when selecting the most aromatic dryhops for American IPAs. Those flavors/aromas reminiscent of floral citrus, juicy fruit, and pine are always at their greatest when taking into account higher Total Oil Content and Myrcene values. Some of these hops include Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Centennial, and Nugget. Whereas flavors akin to grass, hay, spice, and earth tend to have low oil and low Myrcene. Some of these hops include Saaz, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, and the Hallertauer varieties. High Myrcene always comes with high total oil content. But high total oil content does not always mean high levels of Myrcene. Examples of these type of hops would be Chinook, Summit, Apollo, and Columbus.

I wonder if both had been precieved as being roughly as fresh and aromatic as each other initially if the differences would have been less subtle.

I've had it both ways on a few occasions where I had to get mixed pellets and whole hops when my LHBS was out (I tended to go for whole until recently when I yielded to storage requirements and have been going pellet when I can).

I've had it where I had an ounce of fuggle (just as an example) pellet that was more aromatic then the whole hops and times where I have had fuggle whole hops more aromatic then the pellets. I wouldn't say I've noticed startling differences, but difference were noticable. They were bought at the same time, used in the same brew.

I will say that is interesting the difference you noticed in head retention.

I personally go pellet because of storage. I an "hide" a pound of pellet hops in my freezer, but there ain't no way I can hide a pound of whole hops in my freezer (not without death from wife).

Actually I was the one who screwed up my brew day for this experiment, not brulosopher. So his brewing reputation remains untarnished =)
Definitely recommend brewing kate the great, the recipe here on HBT I believe is direct from the brewery and, well, great!

You screwed up his brew day?
I've never had Kate the Great and I think they don't make it anymore, right?

You screwed up his brew day?
I've never had Kate the Great and I think they don't make it anymore, right?

Nope, Brulosopher didn't brew or test on this one, that would be me. Brulosopher is bringing in new guest writers to get even more exBEERiments on his site. This is my first of hopefully many =]

I've never had the real Kate the Great, no idea if they stopped making it. I used this recipe and plan on making it again and oaking it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/official-kate-great-russian-imperial-stout-clone-217674/

There are conflicting results on this topic and other experiments have been done in the past.

I'm a pellet fan. IPAs are the majority of what I brew and aside from personally noticing greater aroma from pellets, they are also easier to dryhop with. The problem with using pellets for IPAs is that the quality of the hop is more difficult to inspect when pulverized in pellet form vs. whole leaf. And there is a greater chance that you will get older pellet hops than older leaf hops.

Whole hops can have as much as 70% more myrcene than pellets of the same variety, but that difference is flipped when the wort is hopped as only 5% of myrcene is extracted from whole hops compared to 17% from pellets.

Total Oil Content and Myrcene % is key when selecting the most aromatic dryhops for American IPAs. Those flavors/aromas reminiscent of floral citrus, juicy fruit, and pine are always at their greatest when taking into account higher Total Oil Content and Myrcene values. Some of these hops include Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Centennial, and Nugget. Whereas flavors akin to grass, hay, spice, and earth tend to have low oil and low Myrcene. Some of these hops include Saaz, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, and the Hallertauer varieties. High Myrcene always comes with high total oil content. But high total oil content does not always mean high levels of Myrcene. Examples of these type of hops would be Chinook, Summit, Apollo, and Columbus.

Very interesting info that only supports the notion we need more exBEERiments!

Back