Interesting ways to include oats in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed a brown ale with about 0.75 lb toasted rolled oats that's turning into a really nice beer. I like the creamy head and body, as well as the soft flavor contributions you only really get from oats. Wheat and carapils do similar things, but oats really stand out and even a small amout makes a big difference.

I'm curious to hear back from others that use oats in their beer. I know its a popular addition to darker ales (oat porters and stouts are a fav of mine) but what about pale ales? A half pound of oats might be interesting. Maybe an oaty wheat beer, say a hefeweisen or dunkel with a pound or so? Or a cream ale cranked up to 11?

I recently did an IPA recipe that had 1 lb of flaked oats. Turned out great. Great fluffy head with great retention.

I did a Dutch style called Koyt. It uses 45% malted oats and 18% wheat. It was very good, different tasting but very good.

For sweeter stouts, I find that the dynamic duo of oats and flaked barley is a must. You get a lovely combination of full body, silky mouthfeel, and super head retention.

I did a Dutch style called Koyt. It uses 45% malted oats and 18% wheat. It was very good, different tasting but very good.

That sounds amazing, I'll see if I can get my hands on it.

Interesting thread beergolf. I might try an ipa too, and that Koyt has me thinking. I live in the Prairies and it'd be nice to try a brew that focuses on local grain. Perhaps 50% 2 Row with equal portions oat, wheat, and rye filling out the remainder. Maybe not the rye. Hop with Willamette and ferment with a neutral north american yeast to keep focus on the grain.

That sounds amazing, I'll see if I can get my hands on it.

The only reason I have not put the recipe up into my recipe section is I need to get the hops right with it. It should have been at least a little bitter and it was almost sweet, hit all of my numbers so I am thinking the massive amount of oats makes a sweeter beer. I need to brew it again with a different hop schedule and see what happens. It was really good, lightly colored and murky. But with mostly oats and wheat I'd expect that.

I noticed that one when I was researching. Can you let us know how it turns out?

Will do for sure. This is my fourth batch of it, and hopefully best! I'll post the recipe & results in a couple weeks.

It's a bit tricky to nail down as I'm going mostly from memory about how it tastes hop wise. We don't get Ft. George beers where I live.

The brewery shared the grain ratios, that's how I came up with 20% oats. Fortunately I am going up to Oregon in April so I can stock up on a few for research ;-)

Latest posts

Back