two more months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here here!

Though I only have 4 plants and not a full on operation. Still, I'm all stoked for the coming season!

First-timer here. I'm growing them in pots for the first year or so until I figure on an ideal spot, what takes, and what doesn't... I'm planning on 6 varieties (overkill)! Willamette, Sterling, Centennial, Cascade, Crystal, & Golding.

I figure I have a long wait ahead, so I went down to the hardware store to pick up the materials to make the 20x20x20" planters for each. :)

I did pots my first year. At the end of the season, the roots bored through the drain holes on the bottom of the pots and down several feet into the ground. I was able to get a little bit of a harvest out of them, about 4 dry oz. Out of each plant. A lot of advice says don't expect a harvest from a first year plant, so I was happy to get anything. This year I ended up with nearly 5 lbs between 4 plants. You're in for yet another layer of homebrewing obsession.

If you do pots do really large ones like two gallons. Thaymond were those the rhizomes from me? Just curious.

Just got my hop plants in yesterday....check out greatlakehops.com
The plants are already started and growing. They have a nice little root ball. I live in tucson and Its 65 and sunny so I figured I would get a head start so they are established before it gets too hot.

If you do pots do really large ones like two gallons. Thaymond were those the rhizomes from me? Just curious.

They were not. They were from Great Lakes Hops. Now they're in the ground and making hoppy goodness. But if it makes you feel better I'm sure I heeded your advice several different times in several different threads on growing hops. :) I'm always open for samples! ;-)

I tell you what the GLH plants look great. Your user name look familiar just a letter off of my name I guess. PM me in April we can do something.

I tell you what the GLH plants look great. Your user name look familiar just a letter off of my name I guess. PM me in April we can do something.

Maybe a rhizome swap? I have Zeus, Chinook, Nugget, and Cascade (as does much of the free world). I'd your interested, I'm sure that Nugget, Chinook, and Zeus will have miles of the stuff under ground. My cascade took a long time to establish herself, but eventually came around. Zeus was a top producer. One plant = over a pound and a half dry yield. It makes one heck of an IPA.

You wouldn't believe the number of times my last name is spoken incorrectly. 9/10 times it is said Hammond.

I could make some room for Zeus, really will not know until March. I get called Greg all the time must be the all over the USA accent I have.

This season can't come quick enough! Besides finally hitting that 3 acre mark, have roughly 750 fresh poles in route in just a few short weeks and 100k' in cabling for a decent expansion! Excited is an understatement!!!!!!

This season can't come quick enough! Besides finally hitting that 3 acre mark, have roughly 750 fresh poles in route in just a few short weeks and 100k' in cabling for a decent expansion! Excited is an understatement!!!!!!

That sounds like a lot of hard work! Hope it all goes well for you.

I have 4 plants, a Willamette, a fuggles, a cascades, and a centennial. I harvested over a pound from 3 of the 4 the first year and a pound and a half from them on the second. A little chicken chit does wonders for them. :rockin:

I'd like to put in at least 2 more this spring, but don't know which ones to do.

Is there a 2015 hop swap thread yet?

Hopefully we get an early spring this year. You have a bit to do, good luck with it.

We haven't seen anything above 15* in almost 2 weeks. I'm ready.

How about a hop swap for the spring? Has there been a thread started yet?

I am game. Homebrew for rhizomes would work for me! So how many hops can one rhizome grow and then how many beers? LOL

I'd even trade hops for grain, or rhizomes for yeasts, or rhizomes for rhizomes, or entertain any offers. I have a couple pounds of last years fuggles to trade.

Back