Using fruit in place of hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer121

Reaction score
Hi guys , this is my first time brewing with out a kit
I have a recipe book and I've decided on my beer, but based on the type of flavour the book says it is id like to add a fruity hint to it. So my question is, if I'm using an existing recipe, do i replace the hops with my fruit in the bag or do I add my fruit to the exact amount of hops as instructed?
I don't want to completely destroy the character of the beer.

Last edited:
Some hops have a fruity aroma or flavor profile, but the main thing they add to beer is bittering. Without hops, beer would be overly sweet and dull, with no high toned crisp notes to the taste. You can always add fruit as an adjunct to malt, hops, and yeast... but you won't get the results you are predicting by literally replacing hops with fruit.

Its your first brew, i say follow the kit exactly how it states. You shouldnt mess with recipes until you get the entire process down and understand the logistics of it.
If you must mess with the recipe, you need to post it so we can see the style of it and where you're trying to go before i give tips to achieve the fruity hint.

Honestly, When you first start, keep it simple. There are so many variables that it is easy enough for an experienced brewer to get lost much less someone that is first starting. This is a fun hobby but you need to feel some success when you start as there are many things that can go wrong. If you have a bad experience first ......

agree with all the above statements.

the other thing to realize is that when something is called fruity, or citrusy, or piney, they don't mean it tastes and smells exactly like that. It's like wine. they're there as a reference to something you already know the tastes and smell of.

so here's a site i like to use when wanting to experiment with hops:
https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/?aroma=Citrus

so if you're going to do anything "crazy" on this first one, just switch out the hops for something that will more resemble the profile you're looking for. and if you're wanting more flavor and aroma from the hops, and less bitterness, then do most of the hops as late boil additions (15 mins and later) and/or dry hop.

Low Alpha hops will be less bitter than high alpha hops. So use lower alpha hops if you don't want as much bitterness. You can't really substitute hops with fruit..the result wouldn't be what you want. Just choose a hop that has the right characteristics that you are looking for and use it for the late addition hops (0-10 minutes). That hop aroma wheel is a great tool in choosing the right hops.

Latest posts

Back