Hello from Massachusetts!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettstar

Reaction score
What's up everybody!! New guy here from Western Massachusetts. I'm excited to be a part of the forum, and to join the homebrew community.

I brewed my first batch a number of years back with a Mr Beer kit I got for Christmas...and I BUTCHERED it! Ha.

Now I'm back with a vengeance with a real set up, and my first batch in the fermenter. The airlock is going bananas, and I'm pleased to say a little education has gone a long way for me! I'm really looking forward to brewing again this week.

Cheers!!

Thank you all! This forum is a phenomenal resource and loaded with great like minded people!

Special hello to my brother in arms from Plymouth! Ha.

Welcome from Buffalo!

What is in your fermenter?

Right now there's an American brown ale in the fermenter having a party. That's my first batch! This Friday I'm going in for round 2 with a buddy, and we'll add a couple different pale ales to our fermentation room.

Staying simple right now getting started and planning an IPA, and a stout for the next month.

Welcome from Eastern MA (Lynnfield). My story is quite similar to yours. Started with a Mr Beer (which I also butchered). From there, I went to a Brew Your Own type facility which was awesome and opened my eyes to brewing. I went on to extract brews at home and finally finished building my all-grain brew rig last fall. Havent brewed on it yet since it was such a harsh winter, but once the weather breaks, I am ready to brew my 1st all-grain. Welcome to the addiction!

Just joined from Taunton! Again like everyone else, I started with a Mr. Beer kit that was given to me by a friend who didn't have time to brew(?). I just upgraded to a BSG 6gal kit that I bought at a local retailer. Can't wait to start!!

So many of us started angrily wondering what the hell happened with the Mr Beer kit it seems! Ha. And then our eyes were opened to the light!

So many of us started angrily wondering what the hell happened with the Mr Beer kit it seems! Ha. And then our eyes were opened to the light!

Actually, my Mr Beer kit came out OK. Not the best of recipes, but it was drinkable. My success in this was throwing out the instructions for fermentation and going with what I read on-line about rehydrating the yeast and fermenting cooler (around 65F) than was recommended in the Mr Beer instructions to avoid the ester production.

After the third Mr Beer recipe (the third one I modified with honey), I embarked on designing my own recipes, the first with extract and specialty grains, the second & third were partial mash and then I moved to all-grain BIAB. Haven't looked back since...

Definitely eyes opened after the first couple of kits...

For the price of my Mr. Beer kit (my friend gave it to me), it was a good way to get into brewing. I have brewed 2 recipes from Mr. Beer the first being a red ale which I thought came out pretty good and now I have the blonde ale bottled and conditioning. I can not wait to start with my 5 gallon kit, but payday has to come first.

Back