Brett Trois Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac21

Reaction score
Never made a starter for Brett before. I'm planning on doing a 100% Brett IPA with the WLP Brett Trois. I was surprised to see how little comes in the package. I have read of folks making a starter up to a week ahead of time for this. What experience/advice can one share for creating a starter for this?

Cheers!:tank:

2l @ 1.040 wort for 2 days..pitch and your fine. I have brew 3 Brett IPA's with this yeast and it will more than ferment your wort. This **** will ferment a Volvo!!! You will love this yeast.

I did a 2 step starter with this yeast for an all brett ipa. 1l for two days, cold crashed and decanted. Next step was 2l for 3 days, cold crashed, decanted and pitched. FG 1.010

Although the beer turned out damn good it seemed like just a good attenuating clean ale yeast w/ very slight fruitiness. No brett funk at all, I thought why all that work for just a normal beer? No more 100% brett beers for me but it was a fun experiment.

You won't get much, if any, classic Brett funk character from 100% Brett fermentation. It's only when you stress this yeast as a secondary that it gives off those barnyard aromas by converting esters from the primary yeast into those funky ones you know.

Used as a primary yeast, it will pretty much just ferment out as a normal Saccaromyces, as you found out.

The jury is out whether or not WLP644 is Brett. Looks like it might be another genus of yeast besides cerevisiae or pastorianus. Certainly a fun yeast to play with regardless.

Latest posts

Back