Adding Sugar To Fermenter After 3 Weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbuffness

Reaction score
I just brewed a beer called The Number Eight. It is a belgian strong dark ale. OG 1.080. FG 1.010 after 3.5 weeks. Could I add 1 lb. Dark Belgian candi syrup to the fermenter now and have it ferment more? I know the beer is already at 9%... but I was just wondering if adding the candi syrup would make the beer more like 10% or if it would just add more sweetness... I don't want to screw it up... suggestions?

Yes that's fine and it should ferment out easily. You risk infection any time you open the carboy, but people do it. I've added honey to an ipa after 2 weeks with no issues.

I think the real question is do you dissolve the sugar in water, boil, chill, then add. Or do you add the sugar directly.

Warm the candy syrup in hot water to make pouring easier. The candy syrup should be sterile in the bag, the bag isn't. Sanitize the bag and scissors before pouring the syrup in.

I usually go with the dissolve in water option. I know that the syrup simply by being nearly 100% sugar bacteria and stuff do not want to live in that syrup so its sanitary. But I find the sugar dilutes and mixes in better when you have it diluted n water.

Latest posts

Back