Accidentally chilled fermenting wort very low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
So I checked on a new beer I brewed over the weekend tonight and was disappointed that it was not even producing any bubbles. This is after repitching with a fresher yeast 24 hours ago.(long story). I then reallized that the temp. probe somehow feel out of the chamber and was lying on the floor making the fridge to constantly chill. The temp dropped down to 11c. :drunk: The water in the pitcher for the overflow tube had a thin layer of ice. So I put the temp controller back in to allow it come back to the proper temp. Now that it has warmed up a little, I am finally starting to see some activity. Anything I should be concerned about? It is a strong beer with OG of 1.090 pitched with a WLP002.

Thanks

So I checked on a new beer I brewed over the weekend tonight and was disappointed that it was not even producing any bubbles. This is after repitching with a fresher yeast 24 hours ago.(long story). I then reallized that the temp. probe somehow feel out of the chamber and was lying on the floor making the fridge to constantly chill. The temp dropped down to 11c. :drunk: The water in the pitcher for the overflow tube had a thin layer of ice. So I put the temp controller back in to allow it come back to the proper temp. Now that it has warmed up a little, I am finally starting to see some activity. Anything I should be concerned about? It is a strong beer with OG of 1.090 pitched with a WLP002.

Thanks

There should be no concern. Maybe you should re-suspend the yeast with a sanitized ladle.

Thanks

nah i dont think you should worry

No worries really - the yeast will wake up now. You could roll the fermenter a bit to get yeast back up into suspension a bit. Not enough to aerate the wort - just get it swirling a bit.

Back